Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » New Guy has Some Questions

Author Topic: New Guy has Some Questions
Barkhorn
Member # 2130

posted 01-25-2000 01:29 PM     Profile for Barkhorn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hello all,

I've been playing EAW for about 2 weeks and lurking on this forum for about a week. I wonder if you can help me w/ the following questions;
1. What in heck does "I've gone Winchester" mean in a BoB mission? Does it have anything to do w/ running out of ammo?
2. Where can I download that "More Planes" .exe? Does it only work in BoB missions.
3. Does anyone know of a site w/ Thunderbolt or Lightning profiles? I have FW's, Bf's and Mustangs - I want to complete the set of if you know what I mean.
4. Finally, I am planning on upgrading my video card to an AGP Voodoo 3 3000. I'm now flying in 2D w/ 450 AMDII w/ 128 meg ram. Are there any conflicts here and will this do the trick?

Any and all responses welcome.

------------------

Posts: 13 | From: Davie, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Irie1
Member # 2046

posted 01-25-2000 01:46 PM     Profile for Irie1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Greetings Barkhorn!
Like you I'm pretty new to EAW but will try to answere first 2 questions. "I've gone winchester" does indeed mean they're out of ammo, however I understand it was a term used by american, not british pilots. I've never heard of "more planes.exe" but you can download ECA 1.4 which adds a number of new aircraft, and ECA controll panel which adds more. Im sure someone more knowledgable will post shortly and correct me if im wrong...cant help with vid card. Good luck and check yer 6 S!

Posts: 37 | From: Berkeley, CA, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
RossC
Member # 1062

posted 01-25-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for RossC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"I've gone Winchester" means "I'm out of air-to-air missiles, have only guns remaining," Winchester being a gun manufacturer.

Which means it's a phrase a few decades before its time in EAW, just plain wrong. Presumably the guys scripting EAW thought it was a general phrase that meant out of ammo, which is what it means in the context of EAW.

The "more planes" fix if for the Germans in the BoB, which puts the numbers of German planes to good levels if you are using the "ExtraSquads" lines in EAW.ini

If you haven't modded your .ini file, I find the numbers of planes to be fine (I only fly for the British, though, it may be different if you fly as a German).

The other stuff I'll leave to those better qualified, but when you start running EAW in 3d mode, you'll be amazed.

~Ross

Posts: 394 | From: Williams Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 01-25-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hello Barkhorn?
I'm a very new chappie to this forum thingy,
but it's tops, an absolute blast.

The other chaps have made me very welcome and I hope you'll be around to see just what a wheeze the blighters are.

(read the rather large post 2or 3 down)

Oh I nearly forgot, I'm afraid I can't help you with your questions, sorry about that old chum.

Over.

------------------
Chocks away, back soon old chap and hey, stay away from my wife or I'll kill ya.

Posts: 6836 | From: Belfast. Northern Ireland. UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 01-25-2000 02:28 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
There shouldn't be any problems with your proposed hardware setup. I have an AMD K6-III 450 with 128 Mbs of RAM and a Matrox G200 8Mb/Voodoo 2 12 Mb combo for video and have never had any problems with either. Because EAW only uses 256 colors it runs very smoothly, even with 200+ planes in the air.

Oh yeah, I have the detail set to max, except lense flares ('cause they're silly and don't happen in reality).

Sisu

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-25-2000 02:35 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm running EAW with an AMD 400 w/96 MB ram and a PCI Voodoo 3 3000, with all details maxed (except "show propeller") at 1280x1024 resolution, and it runs very smoothly. I also select D3D in the configure screen instead of glide, and I don't get any slowdowns when the sky is full of planes. (I did w/glide).
Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Barkhorn
Member # 2130

posted 01-25-2000 02:45 PM     Profile for Barkhorn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for the reply fella's. I look forward to participating in this group.

Thanks,
Barkorn.

MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 01-25-2000 03:32 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
HI Barkhorn, welcome to EAW. Make sure you check out the training section at Major Lee's Aerodrome. I have lots of things for you to see, including P47s in the Paint Shop.

------------------
Major Lee

Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 01-25-2000 04:02 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hello Barkhorn,

for Lightning profiles go to Airbuddha's homepage,

http://users.ezwv.com/~buddha/EAW.htm

Morepilots is a small fix provided by Opa, think it gives you 2 more planes in the missions in BoB if you fly for the Germans - have not tested it myself yet...

Stan

------------------
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 01-26-2000 01:35 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
For very good profiles go here:
http://www.tholianweb.com/cgi-bin/amd2.pl

You can use their search engine to track down whatever plane you want. There is alot of good stuff there.

Your system should be fine with the Voodoo 3 3000 - I'm about to buy one to go with my K6-2 450.

------------------
C/O, Jagdgeschwader 5 'Eismeer'

http://www.madasafish.com/jerry/jg5

Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
hoover2701
Member # 1955

posted 01-26-2000 04:20 AM     Profile for hoover2701   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Barkhorn,

I might send you the more pilot.zip if you tell me your mail-adress. As far as I know there is no place where you can download it.

morepilots.zip will enable you to fly with three complete "Schwarms" ( 4 planes) which brings you to a total of 12 planes instead of 10 for the Luftwaffe-campaigns.

Either post your mail here or contact me: [email protected]

------------------
cu in the air

Posts: 150 | From: Celle, Germany | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barkhorn
Member # 2130

posted 01-26-2000 03:29 PM     Profile for Barkhorn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hoover;

Please send to me at "[email protected]".

Thanks much for your assistance.

Bingo 47
Member # 2192

posted 02-03-2000 12:52 PM     Profile for Bingo 47   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoover2701:
S! Barkhorn,

I might send you the more pilot.zip if you tell me your mail-adress. As far as I know there is no place where you can download it.

morepilots.zip will enable you to fly with three complete "Schwarms" ( 4 planes) which brings you to a total of 12 planes instead of 10 for the Luftwaffe-campaigns.

Either post your mail here or contact me: [email protected]

Posts: 59 | From: Toulouse France | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barkhorn
Member # 2130

posted 02-03-2000 01:51 PM     Profile for Barkhorn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Bingo 47:

What are trying to tell me?

Regards,
Barkhorn.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.