Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Flickering Screen at 1280X1024

Author Topic: Flickering Screen at 1280X1024
Sphinx
Member # 1909

posted 02-02-2000 05:09 PM     Profile for Sphinx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi. i have been playing at 1024 X 768 (with a voodoo 3 2000) but the view is a little too constricting - lose that "big sky" feeling and cant see diddly!

i switched to 1280 x 1024 and it looks amazing but the image is very bright (although im using winter terrain at the moment) and has a slight flicker that is a bit hard on the eyes.
right now i have the refresh rate set to "optimal" using a voodoo 3 tweak utility. i have played around with the refresh rate a bit but can't seem to get rid of the flicker (or the stark brightness of image - maybe my contrast is too high?)

can anyone playing at 1280 x 1024 tell me what refresh rate is best? (my monitor supports up to 1280 x 1024). i assume that putting the refresh rate lower is the way to go, but wont that cap off the framerate a bit?

cheers

Sphinx

Posts: 33 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sphinx
Member # 1909

posted 02-02-2000 07:23 PM     Profile for Sphinx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
well i played around with it a bit more and it seems to work best at 100 Hz refresh rate (flicker is gone). as far as the snow brightness, i guess on a clear winter day the snow would have been pretty bright! maybe i'll wear sunglasses while i play!
i have gamma set at 100 in game which seems to work best...cockpits/planes get too dark below that. i guess the game wasnt designed with snow terrain in mind!

anyway, guess i answered mine own question, but if anybody playing at 1280 x 1024 has any tips or suggestions i'd still be glad to hear em.

[This message has been edited by Sphinx (edited 02-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sphinx (edited 02-02-2000).]

Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 02-02-2000 09:02 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sphinx-I just tried winter terrain with my Voodoo 3 3000, refresh rate at "optimal", 1280x1024, and I do not see any flickering. Do you have the monitor's colors set at 16 bit high color? Just a thought. Good luck!

Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sphinx
Member # 1909

posted 02-02-2000 10:51 PM     Profile for Sphinx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Gen Savage

yeah, my monitor (desktop) is set at 16 bit. i dont think the flickering was associated with the winter terrain particularily, just the refresh rate itself. i had a voodoo 1 before and never bothered much with refresh rates over 75, but i remember seeing the same phenom (some flickering of the image)with higher refresh rates on that card too.

anyhow, im happy with 100 Hz right now. i may play around with it in future and see if i can figure out all the ins and outs of refresh rate vs. resolution.
these high resolutions really rock though! after reading tailspins post about his new monitor, now im dreaming of 1600 x 1200!

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.