Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Another Newbie Question (rocket salvos)

Author Topic: Another Newbie Question (rocket salvos)
WoodButcher
Member # 2492

posted 01-29-2000 08:07 PM     Profile for WoodButcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just a quick question. Today I flew a Tempest ground attack mission and when I hit rockets (joystick button 2) they all went at once . Is this historically accurate? I know when ship busting they would fire everything at once, but thought for small targets they could launch in pairs.

More to the point, is my joystick config wrong or did I miss a key command to choose salvo?

Thanks again,

------------------
WoodButcher

Posts: 45 | From: Stoney Creek, Ont., Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sidewinder062
Member # 1767

posted 01-29-2000 08:48 PM     Profile for Sidewinder062   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Wood, As far as I know they all go at once. For a good article on rocket use go to Major Lee's aerodrome. www.kvi.net/~majorlee
See you over the Channel. Reese

[This message has been edited by Sidewinder062 (edited 01-29-2000).]

Posts: 400 | From: Marshall, Texas, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 01-29-2000 09:15 PM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
WoodButcher:

[...joystick config wrong or did I miss a key command to choose salvo?]

Nothing wrong, as far as anybody knows EAW launches all rockets at once. At least, I've never been able to avoid firing them all at the same time and I'm not aware of anybody who has managed to only fire a couple from a group of them.

[Is this historically accurate?]

I don't know for sure with the Tempest or Typhoon, but based on my reprinted flight manual for the P-51D/K Mustang, it would not be for the 'Stang. In the manual, it states that the rockets can be launched individually, all at once (actually about .1 seconds? apart---I'll have to go back and double-check that), or ripple fired. As far as how many rockets would usually be fired at once vs. different targets, I really don't know. But I remember reading somewhere that rockets were actually considered ineffective by pilots for tank-busting because they weren't accurate enough. This would tend to indicate that firing only a couple at a time would be a pretty difficult way to destroy tanks! I'm not saying that pilots DIDN'T fire two rockets at a time, only that it would not be easy to hit a tank that way. Anyway, in EAW it's pretty hard to hit anything with rockets, so firing them all at once seems like a pretty good way to increase your chances of actually knocking out a tank or two! I still do MUCH better strafing, which seems to be the way most WWII pilots conducted successful ground attacks.

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
RossC
Member # 1062

posted 01-29-2000 10:42 PM     Profile for RossC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Having seen gun camera films of Typhoons firing rockets, they could let go singles, as well. Normally they'd be salvoed in groups, though (4 at a time). But, ground attack is normally a "one pass and haul a*s" scenario, so salvoing would be a good policy to adopt.

And the rockets weren't very accurate for the most part, until the end of the war when the 5" HVAR became available. But the earlier ones were very powerful (I remember, probably incorrectly, that a British 60lb rocket projectile could cause as much damage as a single 500lb bomb. That seems high...), so a near miss was usually sufficient - a near miss with 4 of them would be even better. German Panzer crewmen became terrified of rocket carrying Typhoons during the invasion of the continent.

The more vertical the firing pass you make, the more accurate your rockets should become, as their trajectory isn't so much affected by gravity. Real Tiffies made much more vertical passes than I tend to (45* or more), but the EAW flight model compresses way to soon - can't pull out of a dive. I don't know how accurately EAW models gravity (or the effects of gravity on your rockets, anyway), though...

~Ross

[This message has been edited by RossC (edited 01-29-2000).]

Posts: 394 | From: Williams Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nashwan
Member # 91

posted 01-30-2000 03:53 AM     Profile for Nashwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The RAF rockets had 60lb warheads, IIRC. The usuall comparison was that each rocket had the same power as an 8inch shell, so a salvo of rockets was as powerfull as the broadside from a cruiser. The rockets were fairly accurate, and it was not uncommon to get direct hits on targets like tanks with a pair of rockets. For some reason after the war the British government tried to prove that the rockets were ineffective and hadn't knocked out a single tank.

[This message has been edited by Nashwan (edited 01-30-2000).]

WoodButcher
Member # 2492

posted 01-30-2000 06:30 AM     Profile for WoodButcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks everyone. I guess I will just have to get the first pass right :-). I will try making the dive steeper.

------------------
WoodButcher

Posts: 45 | From: Stoney Creek, Ont., Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nashwan
Member # 91

posted 01-30-2000 07:06 AM     Profile for Nashwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Try making the dive more shallow, that's what works for me.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.