Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Newbie requests best video card for EAW

Author Topic: Newbie requests best video card for EAW
Bobbo
Member # 2579

posted 01-27-2000 11:32 PM     Profile for Bobbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Subject says it. I've been out of action for awhile, but am finally buying a new system. Need expert up-to-date advice on which video card will make EAW scream...

Thanks in advance,

Bobbo

Posts: 8 | From: West Virginia,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-28-2000 08:28 AM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
While I wouldn't presume to tell you what card to get, as it depends on your system and how much you want to spend, I will tell you what not to get-anything by ATI. I recently got a new card, considered ATI, and looked at ATI's website, and almost all their cards have unresolved "issues" with EAW (and lots of other games). They say they are "working on those issues", but as of yet they are unresolved. You may have seen posts on this forum about streaky skies from people w/ATI cards. The card that came with my computer was an ATI Rage Pro, and it definitely had the streaky sky thing.
Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
FlyingElvis
Member # 2605

posted 01-28-2000 12:34 PM     Profile for FlyingElvis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I've used several ATI cards with EAW, and no "streaky sky thing." Matter of fact, I just finished a mission about 10 minutes ago with no "streaky sky thing." I guess my Rage Pro is somehow different from all the others out there.

The moral of this story? Make sure you have the latest drivers for your card...

FE

Posts: 6 | From: Clarion, PA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-28-2000 01:37 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
FlyingElvis: It's great that you're having no problems. I only researched the ATI cards because they were recommended to me by a computer geek I sometimes call for advice. I demurred on that choice of card after reading about the game issues on their driver update and FAQ section of their website. Also, at about that time, a flurry of posts started appearing here with titles like "Does anybody have a problem with XX?" And they often said they had ATI cards. EAW is mentioned as having horizontal lines through menu and game display. WW2 Fighter has a problem with clouds and terrain appear solid white. Madden NFL 2000 has Field appears solid blue. There's a huge list of games that have problems they don't have a fix for. Since EAW is named, I thought that ATI and EAW would make a poor match. Visit their site at http://support.ati.com/faq/games.html
Twitch
Member # 75

posted 01-28-2000 02:50 PM     Profile for Twitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I got one that's a little esoteric. Doesn't run Glide but does D3D on EAW real fine. It was a no hassle install with no screwing around at all. Number Nine Revolution IV 32MB. Go to http://www.nine.com
Posts: 638 | From: L.A. CA U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
davers42
Member # 1768

posted 01-28-2000 04:53 PM     Profile for davers42   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Do yourself a favor and stay away from ATI cards. In EAW with an ATI Rage 128 specifically, you'll get NO fog and NO bilinear filtered textures on some parts of the terrain. What does that mean? EAW ends up looking like a half-baked sim. With no fog, you'll see the point at which the horizon ends, revealing a large square. With unfiltered textures, you see terrain here and there that doesn't look 3D accelerated.
JayP
Member # 858

posted 01-28-2000 06:02 PM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As one of the above posters mentioned, which graphics card is the best for you is a function not only of which game you want to play, but also of what else you have got in your system.

As for EAW, it is so undemanding that many of the contributors to this forum have been content to play it with old cards like the Voodoo I. If you are building a new system, framerate shouldn't be an issue in EAW and perhaps you should give more consideration to other sims you plan to run on your new machine. That issue aside, TNT2 users report brighter colors, particularly with some of the add-on skins available.

Bobbo
Member # 2579

posted 01-28-2000 08:39 PM     Profile for Bobbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I appreciate the advice. I'll definitely stay away from ATI.

As for my system, I'm planning on getting a PIII or Celeron 500 with 128 ram. I was inclined to get one of the Voodoo3 cards, but saw they only have 16 megs, while others have 32 megs. Also, I'm not sure what "Glide" refers to...a type of driver? Does this mean I need to stay with a glide-compatible card?

Game-wise, I'm only interested in playing EAW and perhaps other flight sims (e.g. Red Baron 3D).

Bobbo

Posts: 8 | From: West Virginia,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Waynio
Member # 736

posted 01-28-2000 09:03 PM     Profile for Waynio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
EAW gives you the choice of running under either Glide or Direct3D. Whichever you're using, at whatever resolution, more memory always helps. Framerate suffers most when bombers are smoking badly & going through heavy flak -- that's when I wish I had more RAM and a better Voodoo card.
Posts: 180 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-28-2000 09:44 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I recently bought a Voodoo 3 PCI card. My choice was guided by: a.) price-didn't want to spend more than about $150. b.)the fact that I can only use PCI cards in my system. (This eliminated TNT2 cards, which are all AGP). and c.) some of my older games (like Red Baron 3D) only run in glide. The Voodoo 3 cards by 3DFX runs games which use glide and Direct3D. EAW runs in either, but I select D3D for it. Again-I'm not saying this is the card for you, but it met my criteria. I notice as I look at the thumbnails of skins on Airbuddha's site that the TNT2 skins have brighter colors.
Casey
Member # 873

posted 01-29-2000 02:33 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I ran EAW with a Voodoo3 2000 PCI for some time. It ran very well, in both D3D and Glide.

Before that, I ran it with my stock ATI Rage Pro (2MB) without problems.

But, the question was "What will make EAW scream?" IMHO, TNT2 is the best for EAW.

I recently installed a TNT2 and, as others have told you might be the case, the colors never looked better. It's an entirely different look on the aircraft. So far, I'm very happy with my TNT2.

BTW- Gen Savage:
I too thought my PCI setup prevented me from enjoying the TNT2 but I was wrong! The only reason I ended up getting my current card was, I saw it on the shelf and couldn't resist. There it was, a TNT2 PCI (!), with 32 MB, for $129! I never saw such a creature before. My reasoning was: I just got this system last spring, I'm not gonna get rid of it but I want the best card I can get in PCI. In fact, when I asked a guy at the store about this card before I bought it, he said, "Show me the box. There aren't any PCI cards with 32 MB." And there it was, right on the shelf. There were only two left.

If you're interested, try Guillemot's website (guillemot.com). The card I got is the Cougar. I downloaded the newest nVIDIA Detonator drivers the first night and they work great with the Guillemot rig. Jane's WW2F, MiG Alley, F/A-18 all looking good.

Good hunting.

P.S. That's in a 366 Celeron, 128 MB, setup.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-29-2000 02:45 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Casey, thanks for the tip. I asked the salespeople at CompUsa and EB about it and they said TNT2 for PCI was a no-go. Of course, the CompUsa guys were unable to disable my onboard ATI Rage Pro to install my old TNT1 card last spring. I recently figured out how to do this in order to install the Voodoo 3 3000. So, Bobbo-whatever you decide on, don't let some pimply-faced computer-geek wannabe at CompUsa or wherever dissuade you from what you want to do. You're doing the right thing by checking lots of sources.
BTW, Casey, After plunking down the requisite $149.99 for the Voodoo 3, it would be tough to swing a new card now. I will envy the bright colors you TNT2'ers are enjoying, but at least the ability to run higher resolutions with the Voodoo 3 is a vast improvement over my Voodoo 2.

BuleriaChk
Member # 2494

posted 01-29-2000 07:23 PM     Profile for BuleriaChk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have a RAge Fury ATI. There is a program you can use called ATITweaker which got rid of a number of the worst problems (unchecking some of the stock options improved things immeasurably).

The game is definitely playable undr my RFP, but I was frustrated for quite awhile before I got the Tweaker. (I got it from Rage Underground, but I notice it is included with the new drivers)

I use RF because it is compatible with the Pinnacle products, so I am not wildly enthusisic about its game qualities, however

Best Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 32 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fruman
Member # 1972

posted 01-29-2000 07:43 PM     Profile for Fruman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi Guys,

Can you tell me where I can get a copy of ATITweaker ?

I'm using a 12 month old Rage 128 Fury and I have no end of problems. The card continually misbehaves and has recently screwed the mission maps and briefings screens.

I have tried the latest drivers which do not help and find I get less problems with the original 12 month old drivers.

Try a Matrox Millenium 400 Max. They seem to have less need to produce upgrades than ATI !!

Posts: 15 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 01-29-2000 08:11 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gen Savage (and everyone):

Your take on CompUSA is right on; at least in my experience.

In addition to the case of "no 32 MB PCI cards" when one was on the shelf, I got lots of bad advice when buying a computer last spring.

If I hadn't had the opportunity to buy a second computer two weeks later (sold first one to my job for cost), I would have been screwed. The floor sales people are just that- SALES people. Many of them know less than anyone who spends a few hours in this forum or reading computer magazines. One person told me a year-old HP with an AMD 300 MHz, 32 MB RAM, 3.2 GB hard drive and NO 3D card, would be "great for games!" What the ****!?

My advice to anyone going to CompUSA for major purchases is, research your options online before you go shopping. Make sure you know what you need/want/can use before they start telling you what to get.

I go there a lot for sims, other software, accessories and the like, because they have a good selection.

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sporko
Member # 1938

posted 01-30-2000 12:21 AM     Profile for Sporko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Fruman,
Get the Rage 128 tweaker at www.rageunderground.com and while you're there try downloading the Lightspeed drivers. I use the 6155Ci4 driver. Be sure to follow the installation instructions exactly (all traces of the ATI drivers must deleted). By doing this I greatly improved my eaw experience with my ATI card. Once you get the teaker installed, go to Control Panel\Display\Settings\Advanced\D3D tab.
Make sure that Primary is unchecked.
Hope this helps you out.

------------------
Cheers,
Sporko

[This message has been edited by Sporko (edited 01-30-2000).]

Posts: 384 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.