Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Are SIMs and Computers a grounds for divorce?

Author Topic: Are SIMs and Computers a grounds for divorce?
CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 01-27-2000 06:03 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK OK Fellas

Let me ask ya how many hours do you spend each night online or off flying, tanking, sniping(hehe rogue spear SNIPER!) or ROMPING through dungeons. I am asking this as i am 99.9% sure that there are alot of very pissed off significant others out there who just dont understand our fascination with this thing from our boyhood/girlhood(is that even a word? just added it cause i know there are female flight simmers out there).

Our hobby is similar to going out and bowling with the boys aint it? so why do they get so miffed about the whole thing.

*this is in response to my wife who for some reason or another has been getting pissed off that ive been flying or tanking online*

[This message has been edited by CFrancisco (edited 01-27-2000).]

Posts: 4364 | From: NYC, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 01-27-2000 06:15 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Von Hess

Married to you anything could serve as grounds for divorce! JOKE PLEASE !

Seriously- You got married just before we started mit der new forum did you not? The first two years of adaptation are the worst- there-after you go deaf--? She was/is/has been very good- even encouraging you mit gifts and all else?

Welcome to the wonderful world of MODERATION-
You are VERY involved mit being Befehlshaber of a Panzer Abteilung, JG5 und running/updating several websites- Maybe she would start to feel neglected?

Maybe put yourself in her shoes for a moment und step back und take a good, long and hard look at your activities and time management?It gets even better/worse once the kiddies arive!! Sorry- I sound like deiner Father- take this advice from a senior colleage und hapily married fellow officer- Don't neglect them, no simulator in worth that?

Gruß

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 01-27-2000 06:31 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Herr Rommel ... HUH VAS! du ist mein Vater? DADA!! At long last PAPA!! i alvays knew it vas du! HAHAHA

HHHMM i bow to your wise knowledge mein kamarade. There is some truth to what you say, but one thing i do try and spend time with her(in between managing all the sites and units hahah), and even though we were just married lastyear we have been dating for oh roughly 8 years(MEIN GOTT! i must be crazy!) and 2 of those 8 we lived together.

I was just wondering if anyone else has these problems or is it just me.. LOL

Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 01-27-2000 06:57 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Oberst Von Hess

Go on leave für a while!

Yes we all go through zhese married blisters once in a while, and the damnest thing is that they (God bless them) are usually right!

An old Frenchman once told me- Don't try and understand them, just love them !

Mein wife also vanted to kill ze komputer from time to time-

Divorce because of komputer, nein it's not worth it, neglect- Ja- there she might have a point!

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-27-2000 07:53 AM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
While I don't play anything online, I do spend a lot of time at the computer. My wife doesn't really mind. She spends a lot of her time watching banal television sitcoms and an incredibly dull cable channel called Home and Garden Television. While she watches that drivel, I'm free to attack bombers, play a sports game, pilot an X-wing, or play a round of golf. Like tonight: the sydicated rerun of Friends is at 6:30, followed by the network Friends at 7:00, and Charmed at 8:00. I think I'll spend that time programming the Game Commander with Bigshot's list of commands.
Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
TonyH
Member # 110

posted 01-27-2000 09:10 AM     Profile for TonyH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Oh boys,
You are not alone. My other is always saying I spend an unhealthy amount of time at war in one element.
She popped her head in the door last night and said 'Oh my god, land, sea and bloody air' in reference to tank, sub and plane sims I play.
I don't mind, but its so erratic. One minute its "no I don't mind you playing your silly little games ( then she says....'Ich bein gertroffen....'), but other times she goes off the rails and says that all I want to do is shoot lttle men. I can't really win and I can't see it coming.
Its the same with scale modeling, she just dosen't see the point and thinks I think its more important?????????????

I don't know.........

Gen Savage, you are a lucky man......

Posts: 287 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
HarryM
Member # 1395

posted 01-27-2000 09:33 AM     Profile for HarryM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I spend maybe about 6-7 hours a week. I would like to spend more time, but try to "control" the urge because EAW is so addicting. I try to balance playtime with constructive stuff like learning VB6 or screwing around with HTML. Like Gen. Savage I usually play EAW when the wife is watching Friends reruns or ET or some other crap.

I just lost my Squadron Leader in BOB. May he rest in peace. Had a dicey bailout, jumped right over a mess of HE-111, hurtled through them, literally hunching over in my seat! . None hit me and I survived. Now 610 Squadron is down to 3 planes.

Posts: 1130 | From: Salinas, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-27-2000 10:06 AM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
In the beginning, my wife was fine with it.

Then she got increasingly frustrated by it, and started calling my computer 'the mistress'.

Then it got REALLY bad, where she forbade me to see my mistress while she was in the house.

Then she took the 'resigned fatalism' approach and gave up.

Then she perked up and accepted it, so long as I was willing to talk when she wanted to talk, or watch the occasional tv with her.

So, for right now, everything is wonderful again, but in 6 months, I'd check back...

I lost my Spit pilot last night, for the first time I couldn't get a spit out of a spin. It was real painful watching the altimeter tick down, as the nose desperately tried to get up and the prop kept sputtering and revving. Damn bird tried for me, but it wasn't to be. I figure I augered a good ten feet under, dug my own grave. Good enough resting place, I guess.

Now it's on to the Luftwaffe, and my first career as a Stuka pilot! (I give myself 5 missions as a life goal)

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
111thTIGER
Member # 1012

posted 01-27-2000 02:15 PM     Profile for 111thTIGER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It comes down to this. The computer is in the house. Therefore you are in the house.

With other hobbies, bowling, RC modeling, Babe watching at HOOTERS etc. We usually leave. Out of sight out of mind. However, with this hobby were HOME, and therefore we are ignoring our signifigant other. Or so they seem to think.

Just as the above poster stated, the choice is mind numbing sitcoms, judge judy or worse yet, OPRAH or one of the other nuclear scientists just like her, or the computer. I for one choose the computer, I have learned a great deal with my computer more so than I have learned on the run of the mill TV show.
AND NO ADVERTISEMENTS.

The nice thing is that my wife 99% of the time does understand this and realizes that it is my hobby. Just got lucky on this one I guess.

Posts: 280 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
BeerNBrats
Member # 1755

posted 01-27-2000 04:58 PM     Profile for BeerNBrats   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I make it a point to log off (or pause the game) whenever my girlfriend gets home (well, she's more than a girlfriend....we've been living together for 16 years).

We spend a few hours together (including dinner....a sacrosanct time)...sometimes the rest of the evening. Then, after we've had our time, we both go on to do our own thing. Weekends, if we don't have plans we usually set aside one day to do our own thing and the other day we socialize.

Fortunately our work schedules give us each about 3 hours "alone time" every week day...I get to work early (7 or so) and leave by 4, she gets in about 10 and comes home about 8.

------------------
Any plane flys better with a belly full of beer 'n brats!

Posts: 48 | From: Jamaica Plain, MA USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Der Sensenmann
Member # 1979

posted 01-27-2000 07:47 PM     Profile for Der Sensenmann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As said before ...

Been married, been not. Better not.

I first heard this bit of wisdom from a wonderful elderly Scot whom I met in a pub in London while visiting and drinking back in the 80's. He looked exactly like the perfect Hollywood RAF pilot from BOB (neatly trimmed mustache and all). When visiting London, as he often did, he left his wife of many years back home in Scotland.

After many drinks one night, I asked him if he ever regretted getting married. He replied: "She's a lovely lady. I love her very much, but if I had it to do all over again, I don't think that I would."

That sums it up for many of us. Have another beer lads, and don't ask the missus.

Posts: 73 | From: Falls Church, VA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 01-27-2000 08:51 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ever hear the term "computer widow?"

That's what my friend (a female) called my girlfriend, a few weeks after I started flying EAW.

111Tiger's point should be mentioned often. We should remind the women, it could very well be four or five hours at the local bar, instead of in another room.

I make a point of not flying before dinner- so we talk when we get home from work and then eat together. I also make sure that I watch TV with her at least two or three nights a week- this means I don't start flying until she goes to bed and I am up 'till 3:00 on a weeknight! You guys know the feeling?

She knows if we have plans on the weekend, it can only be Friday or Saturday, not both. She makes a funny face at me and says "I know, it's the weekend; you have to fly or you'll go crazy."

But, after living together one year, I think she understands. She knows it's when I'm flying my virtual airplane that I can forget about the store, paperwork, taxes, family problems or whatever else may be eating at me.

Then again, last night she walked in when I was posting in here and said, "You're obsessed. You know that, right?"

Aaah, what does she know?

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Dr. Katzenjammer
Member # 750

posted 01-28-2000 12:18 AM     Profile for Dr. Katzenjammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herren

Here ist der challenge: Instead of giving us your version- why don't you guys invite, caljole, blackmail, force, plead etc. your good ladies to come und type their own comments in this thread- then we vill hear the truth about how they feel, or will we- ?

Sheessshhh Wimen!!

Nein, nein Bridgitte, put zhat skull down, it is valuable und has terrific sentimental value- see, it belonged to Sigmund vonce, und see zhat bullet hole?- Zhat ist where C Francisco shot him during a forum feeding frenzy vonce- long time ago!

Hmmmm, what is zhat perfume you are wearing... wait, let me just switch ze komputer off.....

Posts: 102 | From: Tranzelvania | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 01-28-2000 12:32 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Rommel,

"Maybe put yourself in her shoes for a moment und step back und take a good, long and hard look at your activities and time management?"

That exactly what I have done

Works a treat ,althought she "used to be" a whole shoe size smaller than me.... I figure the initial pain I went threw was a small price to pay...

I am single and having the time of my life!!! hehe haha hehe

---------------------------------------------
I ate her liver with some father beans and a nice bottle of Chiante...SSsssSSSsssSSSsss!

Fly fly fly little starling!

Posts: 1148 | From: london/uk | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 01-28-2000 12:56 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ja, ja, I hear what you say Herr Slapp- but I prefer ze comfort und company ! (Somevhot about a burden shared ist ein burden halved?)

Und I vent und bought myself a pair ob shoes zhat fits

E.R.

Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 01-28-2000 01:42 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Her Rommel,

I think the biggest downfall to most relationships boils down to one simple thing:

Honesty (from begining to end).

I find were most people go a stray,is, they get together/stay together knowing deepdown that they are trully not being honest with each other and sticking it out anyway...

Its a rare thing these days to have it and keep it

I salute you sir and wish you and the miss all the best

S!

(ps:I have splashed out on a new wardrobe )

Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 01-28-2000 01:52 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Slapp !

Ja, ja, rub it in, I can only afford ze shoes

You are so very right- Ich suppose it is true of most of ze things in life, ja. Von should play baseball to baseball rules, und soccer to soccer rules, and marriage (not that it is a game, more a struggle to marriage rules, Ja?

Und Honesty from day 1 onwards is extremely important!!

Gruß

E.R.

Hell wish the old lady could see this, just think of the possible rewards!!! hehehehehe

Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 01-28-2000 03:17 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hell yes, if our [your ] collective girlfriends and wives could see this post it would put a whole new spin on what they think of us, our "shooting little men" and our crazy EAW comrades!

They'd probably demand we spend at least 2hours a week talking to Edwin!!!

Hey, it's cheaper than a marriage counselor!

[This message has been edited by Tobiwan (edited 01-28-2000).]

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
no609_OzZiggy
Member # 1550

posted 01-28-2000 04:06 AM     Profile for no609_OzZiggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
well ..umm what can add

Truth is EAW is great fun..but then again so is walking around with the otherhalf ..hitting the pubs and clubs together and grabbing the occasional flick...so its all about balance

Saying this ..my otherhalf is ion australia and i am in germany so EAW will become my new mistress until she gets here

Cheers Zig

------------------
the foot just aint enough

Posts: 92 | From: at the moment germany munich (but im an aussie) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 01-28-2000 04:11 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My girlfirend doesn't mind a bit about me playing EAW or anything else, as she uses my PC nearly as much as I do for surfing and work stuff (she's web designer).
And if there's something I need to do or see at her behest, there's always Alt+P...
If all else fails, you could always ask your sceptical other halfs to describe something they do which is either more worthwhile or something they do to kick back. Everyone one has their own 'thing', and the court is out as to how valid it is as a pastime.

------------------
C/O, Jagdgeschwader 5 'Eismeer'

http://www.madasafish.com/jerry/jg5

Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 01-28-2000 09:34 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Look at this - it could happen to you...
http://www.helponthe.net/cartoons/cart12.gif

------------------
C/O, Jagdgeschwader 5 'Eismeer'

http://www.madasafish.com/jerry/jg5

Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Joichem
Member # 2084

posted 01-28-2000 10:33 AM     Profile for Joichem     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Balance, Moderation. The Razors edge.
Posts: 41 | From: Las Cruces, nm | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Waynio
Member # 736

posted 01-28-2000 12:08 PM     Profile for Waynio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I've invited my girlfriend to fly EAW with the force-feedback stick, Aura Vest (lumbar subwoofer), new skins & terrain, etc., but she just laughs it off. She's flown real planes, so she can't really be satisfied with a sim's lack of G-force & limited field of view.

"But I bet your planes didn't have 20mm cannons, huh?"

"Uh, no, but I've shot real guns. 9mm is about the most I can handle, 'cause of the recoil. Hey, maybe we should go plinking one of these days."

What a woman, I am so blessed. She wants me to try real flying and shooting! Now if only we could do both at once, legally, I mean! I heard of a company that lets you do mock dogfights in trainers. Yeah...

Posts: 180 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Guy
Member # 1606

posted 01-28-2000 12:43 PM     Profile for Old Guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I've been married to the same woman for over 33 years and I wouldn't trade any of the time we spend together for EAW or anything else. That said, we have learned to accomodate each other in most ways. What we can't compromise on we ignore. She's learned to put up with me, EAW and otherwise. In return she wants some attention (not just that!), a little conversation, and some emotional support. I can do those things pretty well now, but it wasn't always so. Just like flying a Lightning, it takes practice!
Posts: 1769 | From: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 01-28-2000 01:12 PM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Waynio and those interested,

Here ya go bud .. bring her here..
http://www.aircombat.com/

Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 01-28-2000 01:50 PM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Cfran,

Why did you have to put this link up!!!

Dam you !!!

I saw this place on discovery channel a year ago...I had totaly forgot about it...but ho no!,you had to post a link to it!

Its just not fair....cruel...twisted...heartless...(Sob sob...)
I WANT TO GO TO AIR COMBAT USA!!!(insane crying...deleriously thumping the floor like a spoilt brat...a broken man.)

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.