Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » P-61 Black Widow in next version of ECA CP...?

Author Topic: P-61 Black Widow in next version of ECA CP...?
RossC
Member # 1062

posted 01-20-2000 12:57 PM     Profile for RossC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I would really, really like to have this airplane in the next ECA CP, if it's not going to be in already. It was apparently a FANTASTIC flying airplane, one that was in fact able to out turn a P-51, due to a very advanced wing design.

And it was used in the ETO, well before the A-26 was even. It's certainly one of the most overlooked airplanes of WW2. Probably the ultimate multi-seat fighter of the war.

I just DLed ECA CP 2.0 last night (previously I had thought, "Big deal,") and it's a fantastic utility. Now if someone could just unlock the 3d coding and make the planes look as they should, but it's still very cool to fly all of these airplanes.

P-61 please please please please

~Ross

Posts: 394 | From: Williams Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Monsieur Pierre
Member # 1673

posted 01-20-2000 01:59 PM     Profile for Monsieur Pierre   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
You are right, the "Black Widow" was a nice bird...But uneasy to make its skin (from some black P-38?)

[This message has been edited by Monsieur Pierre (edited 01-20-2000).]

Posts: 14 | From: Biarritz, France | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
RossC
Member # 1062

posted 01-20-2000 02:17 PM     Profile for RossC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I think we'd have to use the B-26 model in the game, as they were about the same size. Heck, if they use the B-26 to represent the A-26, and German planes for Japanese ones, it doesn't really matter.

P-61C would be a nasty machine to tangle with (430mph, 4 20mm + 4 .50 cal in a remote controlled turret).

~Ross

Posts: 394 | From: Williams Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slickster
Member # 384

posted 01-20-2000 02:29 PM     Profile for Slickster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Ross, you right, Baby. The Black widow was a killer diller.

Apparently only about half the 61's had the top turret, as it was identical to the B-29's. They got most of them. Plus, there was a Gunner piggy back in the turreted models, along with the Radar operator. A three man crew.

My Great Uncle disappeared one night flying one. No one knows what happened to him.

------------------
Rick "Slick" Land

Posts: 551 | From: Fayetteville, AR, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 01-20-2000 03:34 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The P-61 is included with ECA 2.1 and it uses B-26 plane slot. I don't know what the release date is, but it'll be soon.

Airbuddha

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Guy
Member # 1606

posted 01-20-2000 04:37 PM     Profile for Old Guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My old man worked on P-61s in Europe. Since the Luftwaffe mostly wasn't around, especially in the last few months of the war, these birds spent a lot of time strafing. He did tell me about a pilot who made sort of a speciality out of shooting down JU-52 transports. He had to drop the gear and flaps in order to stay behind them. One short burst and the JU-52 would kind of vaporize.
Posts: 1769 | From: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
RossC
Member # 1062

posted 01-20-2000 04:50 PM     Profile for RossC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The early model P-61's didn't have the turret as they found it caused some bad tailplane buffeting. They got it sorted out for later B models, and I think all C's had them. The C's also had 2800hp Double Wasps as opposed to the A and B's 2000hp versions, hence the very quick top speed for an airplane the size of a B-26

Can't wait for 2.1, should be awesome!

~Ross

KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 01-20-2000 10:46 PM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
You beat me to it, Ross. The Widow did indeed have problems early on with buffeting as a result of the turret, but it was sorted out in later models. I don't believe all Widows were "black" either - I have a Monogram model that features one scheme that, if I recall correctly, is painted OD/Neutral Grey. I'll have to check up on that one. Well, can't wait for ECAP 2.1 - have a great one folk!

------------------
- KMHPaladin
- [email protected]
- "I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the
enemy... at minimum range it doesn't matter what your angle
is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."
- Colonel Erich Hartmann

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
RossC
Member # 1062

posted 01-20-2000 11:45 PM     Profile for RossC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Here, I found a cool page . Some folks are restoring a P-61 to flying status:

http://www.maam.org/p61.html

There were actually a few P-61 aces in the ETO, as opposed to only one in the PTO.

Cool, cool airplane.

~Ross

[This message has been edited by RossC (edited 01-20-2000).]

bucky-s
Member # 1588

posted 01-21-2000 01:39 AM     Profile for bucky-s   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Last widespread use of the P-61 was as tornado chasers in the Midwest up to the end of the 1950s!
Posts: 179 | From: Shizuoka City, Japan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Guy
Member # 1606

posted 01-21-2000 12:20 PM     Profile for Old Guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Another story my dad told about P-61s: A pilot came back from a mission one day, went directly to the gun camera and ripped the film out, exposing it. He never told anyone what he shot down. Guess he didn't want credit . . .

Dad was a Air Corps Master Sargeant in a small maintenance detachment which supported primarily P-61s. They went into France on June 28, 1944 and operated in France, then Belgium and Germany until the war ended. Shall I post more of his stories as they seem appropriate?

Posts: 1769 | From: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
RossC
Member # 1062

posted 01-21-2000 01:01 PM     Profile for RossC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Please do! There is virtually no info on the web (that I don't already have), though I found some cool info from the flight manual, including video clips from a training film:

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/MoreP-61Stuff.html

~Ross

[This message has been edited by RossC (edited 01-21-2000).]

Donster
Member # 196

posted 01-21-2000 02:20 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Old Guy,

Post away! Lets hear em'! And anyone else, please do so too!

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Guy
Member # 1606

posted 01-21-2000 04:14 PM     Profile for Old Guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
For all you who like the p-61:
Wings/Airpower ran a very comprehensive series on the Black Widow in the 1970s. I think the series appeared in three or four issues. I have them somewhere. My dad and I compared his pictures to the magazine's and found a lot of the same aircraft.
I don't know if reprints are still available but one could always try!

BeerNBrats
Member # 1755

posted 01-21-2000 04:26 PM     Profile for BeerNBrats   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Anyone interested in reading or contributing war stories, check out
http://www.thedropzone.org

It's set up as a virtual war museum and has some great stuff....

------------------
Any plane flys better with a belly full of beer 'n brats!

Posts: 48 | From: Jamaica Plain, MA USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.