Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Mixing cockpit & instument patches -vegetable soup?

Author Topic: Mixing cockpit & instument patches -vegetable soup?
Sphinx
Member # 1909

posted 01-19-2000 01:20 PM     Profile for Sphinx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
i want to use some of the new cockpits (like at the Aces paint shop II and Migge's) for the german planes and i guess some of them also include instruments. i think at Aces paint shop he has also added in some new (non-working i assume) instruments to a few planes.

my question is, is it possible to use the new cockpits and also use at the same time the sharper instruments patches available(like from red skulls for example). do they conflict and make vegetable soup or will it work? If it works does it matter what order the patches are applied in?

Posts: 33 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 01-19-2000 05:38 PM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
[...possible to use the new cockpits and also use...the sharper instruments patches...]
Yes. EAW uses two files to draw add-on cockpits: "P***v.tpc" and "P***x.tpc". Examples would be "Pp51dv.tpc" and "Phurrx.tpc". The "v" file is the cockpit color (including the "instrument panel" itself) and also the views of your wings when you look out of the cockpit. The actual instruments themselves are found in the "x" file. Therefore, the instruments are in a separate file from the rest of the cockpit. There can only be one file in the EAW folder with the same name, so if you already have one file (named, say, P190av.tpc......this would be the "v" file for the FW190A), and you add another "P190av.tpc" file, the first file would be overwritten (depending on how you are adding the new file, you may or may not be prompted about wishing to replace the existing file). The bottom line: there would be no conflicts in mixing new cockpits and instruments from different places.

[...does it matter what order the patches are applied in?]
No, for the reasons mentioned above.

[This message has been edited by JWC (edited 01-19-2000).]

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sphinx
Member # 1909

posted 01-19-2000 08:01 PM     Profile for Sphinx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
thanks a lot JWC! all your help is very much appreciated.(man, they should put you on salary here!)
i'm learning a lot putting this "flying machine" together!

later: just realized that some skins come with a v file so that you can see the new wing colors, so i guess its a trade off in some cases with german planes between seeing the grey cockpit with stock wings (i assume) in virtual view, or having the blue cockpits and the new wings of the skin.

just outta curiosity, is there a way to "hack" the files further and create individual "custom" v files that you could add back in that would contain the new grey interior cockpit german cockpits along with the virtual view wings of an add-on skin you liked? how hard is it to do something like that or is that even possible?

[This message has been edited by Sphinx (edited 01-19-2000).]

JWC
Member # 116

posted 01-20-2000 03:41 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thank You Sphinx.

[is there a way...create individual "custom" v files...contain the new...german cockpits along with the virtual view wings of an add-on skin you liked?]

Sure it is possible IF you have the .pcx files that your .tpc files were made with! All EAW art files begin in PCX format (example: Pp51dv.pcx). To convert them into the compressed format that EAW uses requires them to be run through a utility called PicPac. PicPac was released by Microprose in the latter half of last year and is what all EAW skins makers use to convert their files to EAW's ".tpc" format. It is available for download from several places, including Combatsim.com (Downloads page) and Airbuddha's Hangar (in the "FILES---Main Files" section).

PicPac transforms the files into the ".tpc" files that you place in your EAW folder (example: the file "Pp51dv.tpc" will be created after "Pp51dv.pcx" is run through PicPac. Many skins makers include the ".pcx" files that they use to make their skins so people CAN modify them as needed. If you download a "v" file that does not include the original ".pcx", you can always try e-mailing the author, requesting that he send you his file, and explain why you need it.

Once you have the original .pcx's for both files (the one whose cockpit colors you want and the file with the wing views you need) it is a fairly simple process to combine them. You will of course, need an art program that can work with PCX files. I use MS Paint for actual art file conversions, transferring the changed portions of the file into Ulead PhotoImpact and pasting them in there. MS Paint only works with Bitmaps (BMP format), so that's why you need another program which can work with PCX files. My copy of PhotoImpact was free since it came with a scanner! It doesn't have all the features that a purchased copy would, but it lets me work with many different file formats. Anyway, once the ".pcx" file is modified to the specifications you want, you just run it through PicPac. Instructions on how to do this are provided in the Readme file for PicPac. They can seem a little complex at first to someone used to Windows because PicPac is a DOS program. But if you do everything right PicPac works just fine.

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sphinx
Member # 1909

posted 01-20-2000 03:55 PM     Profile for Sphinx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrific! i downloaded picpac before but never learned how to use it. i will give it a try. thanks again!

S!

JWC
Member # 116

posted 01-20-2000 05:25 PM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sphinx, some things to be careful about when modifying the EAW .pcx files are:

1) DO NOT use any colors besides those that are already in the PCX's. If you introduce colors that are not in the EAW palette you will have, um, an INTERESTING looking plane! (When PicPac first appeared, it seemed that everybody who tried it wound up with "psychedelic" aircraft! I think it took most of us a few tries to realize how to avoid this problem.) If I need to replace a color somewhere when I'm using Paint, I use the color-matching tool to use a color from somewhere else on the .pcx file. If I need a red, for instance, I can't use the red in Paint, I have to find a red color on the .pcx file.............Of course, if you're only pasting parts of one file onto another this shouldn't be a problem, since you're not really changing anything that doesn't already exist.

2) If you've looked at some of the .pcx files then you already know that they bear little overt resemblance to an airplane! You'll have to figure out what is what on the files! It's easier to do this on some files than others, and easier for some PARTS of airplanes than others.

3) Make sure that the resolution of your modified file is still 256 x 256. If it is anything else, you will get an error message when you try to run EAW. This message will say something to the effect of: "Pic wrong resolution". I'm not sure why, but a couple of times I've wound up with a modified file that is 256 x 255 or something like that. That is enough to prevent the game from starting. I'm not sure why this happended, but it was probably something that I did wrong! Anyway, it was pretty easy to fix: I just resized the .pcx file in PhotoImpact to the correct 256 x 256.

4) After you finish modifying the .pcx, running it through PicPac, and have a .tpc file that works, save a copy of both your .pcx and .tpc "v" files in a folder and label them so you know what they are and which airplane/skin combo they belong to. Then ONLY use a COPY of the .tpc file in your EAW folder. Remember that any time you add a new skin to the EAW folder, it MIGHT contain a "v" file (which could overwrite your "v" file). So never put your only copy of your modified file in the EAW folder!

Sphinx
Member # 1909

posted 01-21-2000 09:08 PM     Profile for Sphinx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks a lot JWC ! gonna print this thread out - your tips will be very helpful! i havent really dug into it yet, but i was thinking like you mention, that i might just be able to cut and paste the cockpit interior etc. from the grey german cockpit files to the new skin file. good advice on keeping an extra copy and watching out for v files - i usually have a look at the skin files in winzip first tho to see whats what so i know what im pasting in beforehand (and so i can update txs to tes if necessary - that little nugget from your "big" thread has come in handy!)anyway thanks much for the additional info. S!

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.