Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » battle of britain

Author Topic: battle of britain
Fernando
Member # 1120

posted 01-15-2000 07:51 AM     Profile for Fernando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have seen a documental about the battle of Britain, and at the beginning the germans were far more experimented pilot than the young hurricane pilots and caused a lot of fatalities, so I started the battle of britain campaing in EAW as a german pilot and what happenned¡¡ the first missions we always are outnumbered, the british are super pilot,in the dogfights two or three hurricanes feel very atracted to me and stick to my tail, often I am the only one that returns home ( sometimes with my engine damaged). Any thoughs about that??
Posts: 42 | From: Ecuador | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 01-15-2000 08:06 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It works both ways. Every time I start a campaign with the RAF, I lose about 7 or 8 planes. My version is the latest 1.2 with all the add-ons enabled.
I tend to order my wingman to loiter so at least he survives the mission!. After a few mission when the pilots are more experienced it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Good luck

Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 01-15-2000 10:30 AM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
BoB has been turned both ways in several patches/addons. The campaign was balances(I think) in the original version, but with 1.1 came the "super-hurri"-problems. The campaign was impossible to complete for the germans, because you would loose most of you kacmareks in every mission. The "MorePilots"-fix came along, which gave you a proper staffel(12 planes), but the super-hurri problem was still there. Then we discovered the turn-fighter bug in the Emil. Once the Emil was corrected to an energy fighter, things started to go the other way. As a german, the campaign suddenly was a breeze, since your kacmareks now toasted the tommies without difficulites. Then came ECAPanel 2.0, with this fix included. Seems like that version also improved the tommies, because the BoB is getting harder for the germans. Easy campaign seems to be a balanced setting. (YOu get the experienced pilots) One of the largest problem is the failure of your extrasquads...sometimes, they just don't show up.

And Fernando, don't do the same mistakes as your 1.2 Kacmareks do. The Emil is an energy fighter, don't mix it with the hurries. Stay above them, keep you speed up, and sweep down on them. Learn the spiral climb, and other energy maneuvers.

------------------
Der Opa

Posts: 710 | From: Sandnes, Rogaland, Norway | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CornFlake
Member # 1355

posted 01-15-2000 12:48 PM     Profile for CornFlake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes, Fernando, Opa is completely right. Don't engage in scissors combat with the Hurricanes, beacause they have a much shorter turning ratio. It's better to use "boom and zoom" tactics as Opa recommends. Use the Emil superior speed and climbing to disengage and gain a speed/altitude advantage, and then fall over them. The German tactics for Emils in the WW2 beginnings were exactly those, and they worked fine in Poland and France. In BoB they had to use the old tactics with the Hurricanes but have to develope new tactics against the Spits.
Así fué históricamente, Fernando.

Posts: 95 | From: Barcelona. Spain | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fernando
Member # 1120

posted 01-15-2000 01:22 PM     Profile for Fernando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thank you all, great answers, saludos para España corn flake!!
Posts: 42 | From: Ecuador | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_WrangleWolf
Member # 1039

posted 01-16-2000 01:42 PM     Profile for JG5_WrangleWolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! all

Herr Opa, i started a new BOB campaign, with 4.II/JG2, all settings to the maximum, EAW1.2 + ECA1.4 + ECApanel2.0 + sounds + the "MorePilots"-fix. We use the E8 version.
After 28 missions my Staffel had lost 3 Emils but with 159 british planes downed!!! A ratio of 53-1!!!
What happens? i don't know...

WWolf

------------------
"Their element is to attack, to track, to hunt, and to destroy the enemy. Only in this way can the skillful and eager fighter pilot display his ability. Tie him
to a narrow and confined task, rob him of his initiative, and you take away from him the best and most valuable qualities he possesses: aggressive
spirit, joy of action and the passion of the hunter."
-Adolf Galland, 104 victories.

Posts: 54 | From: Cunit, Tarragona (Spain) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
David Johnson
Member # 1999

posted 01-16-2000 03:35 PM     Profile for David Johnson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Where does one find the "more pilots fix"? Does this allow you to fill that empty wing slot on the com?
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 01-16-2000 03:41 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I think what they are talking about is the extra sqdns fix.

Open the EAW ini file with notepad, go to the section marked EAW, and add a line at the bottom of that section... ExtraSquads=x where x is a number from 0 to 5. Save and close Notepad. Be aware that 3 and over may cause system crashes.

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 01-16-2000 04:42 PM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
mane_raptor, David Johnson:

"MorePilots" is a file that gives the German units in the Battle of Britain a "full" 12-man Staffel instead of the 10-man one that you are normally limited to. Opa is being pretty modest when he stated the "'MorePilots'-fix came along"------Opa is the one that hex-edited (?) the file in the first place! And he was the first to create a file that fixed the "109E as an Angle Fighter" problem. Now that fix (109E used properly as an Energy Fighter) is included in ECA Control Panel 2.0, as well as even being in Jeroen van Soest's EAW Aircraft Edit v1.06 (where you can not only check to see what an airplane is listed as, but change it if necessary!)

As far as where to get "MorePilots", I just e-mailed Opa and he sent it to me.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no way to get that fourth section, unless you are flying for the RAF in the BoB (where you have 4 three-man sections, but still just 12 aircraft).

[This message has been edited by JWC (edited 01-16-2000).]

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Capitan Manduca
Member # 918

posted 01-17-2000 02:12 AM     Profile for Capitan Manduca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
One question... How the "Spiral Climb" is done? I couldn't find any info about this maneuover.

Thanx.

------------------
"Roll over, spin round and come in behind them. Move to their blindsides and firing again"
Iron Maiden - Aces High

Posts: 888 | From: Madrid, España | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
LLv34_BlauKreuz
Member # 381

posted 01-17-2000 03:15 AM     Profile for LLv34_BlauKreuz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Spiral Climb... like walking up spiral stairs

While you climb, you keep on turning (trying to stay almost directly above your enemy) thus your enemy has to turn tighter than you to even try any shot at you. This way he uses more energy and you can climb away from him.

------------------

LLv34_BlauKreuz
CO, Lentolaivue 34
---------------------------
www.muodos.fi/LLv34/

Posts: 98 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Capitan Manduca
Member # 918

posted 01-17-2000 03:18 AM     Profile for Capitan Manduca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok, I did it always without knowlegde

Sometimes I also use the "Straight climb" against Hurricanes.

------------------
"Roll over, spin round and come in behind them. Move to their blindsides and firing again"
Iron Maiden - Aces High

Posts: 888 | From: Madrid, España | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 01-17-2000 04:30 AM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
JWC,

Thanks for straightening this out, Got confuss'd between "Extra Sqds" and "MorePilots". I remember reading about that a while back.

Opa, Could you send me a copy also?

Mail to : [email protected]

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Squeeze_One
Member # 1723

posted 01-17-2000 07:16 AM     Profile for Squeeze_One   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I want this "More pilots", too!
Could it be done public in some download page? Airbuddha, Cord, Major Lee, for example.
BTW. Opa - what is the actual change done in "More Pilots"?

--------------
Squeeze_One
[email protected]

Posts: 113 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pop
Member # 1771

posted 01-17-2000 07:30 AM     Profile for Pop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I don't know much about the BOB just yet, but I'm reading Winston Churchill (just getting t BOB now) and he was commenting on how British pilots seemed surprisingly superior than the German pilots during the evacuation of Dunkirk shooting down 2or3 to 1.
TonyH
Member # 110

posted 01-17-2000 08:25 AM     Profile for TonyH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hmmmmm.......Galland also said that at the time of the BoF and up to the BoB, that although the Luftwaffe boys were on the whole expirienced in combat, the majority of British pilots were very well trained in flying with three of four years in service...

TonyH

Posts: 287 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 01-17-2000 10:31 AM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Don't use the E8. The germans didn't have it in BoB. Don't use it.

I'll ship the files to you guys.(I didn't make that fix, btw., I was in part responsible for the fix for the angle-bug, but the morepilots-fix is not mine... )

And the brits lost more than the germans during the Dunkerque evacuation.

------------------
Der Opa

Posts: 710 | From: Sandnes, Rogaland, Norway | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
hoover2701
Member # 1955

posted 01-18-2000 09:36 AM     Profile for hoover2701   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hallo Herr Opa,

es wäre sehr nett, wenn Sie mir auch diesen "More-Pilots"-Patch zusenden könnten. Ich wäre hocherfreut!!!

I'd very much appreciate if you sent me that patch for which you are (in part) responsible. I want 12 german pilots too!

thx in advance!

------------------
cu in the air

Posts: 150 | From: Celle, Germany | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
hoover2701
Member # 1955

posted 01-18-2000 09:39 AM     Profile for hoover2701   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
btw

my mail: [email protected]

------------------
cu in the air

HarryM
Member # 1395

posted 01-18-2000 10:15 AM     Profile for HarryM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I've been playing a BOB Spitfire campaign for Britain, starting as a lowly WO. (1.2 and latest ECA) I've found it pretty balanced so far. Squadron usually loses 2 planes per mission, for about 6 or 7 Jerries. (If I could just improve my shooting. I've only got 9 kills in about 6 missions) Only changes I've made is to increase dispersion on some of the HE 111 and JU 88 guns, especially HE 111 waist guns.

Campaigns sure make you fly/fight differently. After you survive a few missions and start wanting to live, it starts to feel more real. You don't go banzai into a bomber formation or ignore fighters on your 6. I have full realism set (that means no HUD!) Always let the mission continue if I bail, there was no "abort button" in real life. Always go for hard kills which cuts down on total kills per mission (you probably wouldn't let a smoker get away and lose the credit in reality) and always return to base within a few minutes of recall orders. One thing I wish you could turn off is the "Good Kill!" message. You had no way of really knowing if you had shot the other guy down until he hit the ground.

Posts: 1130 | From: Salinas, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 01-18-2000 10:21 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Opa:

[I didn't make that fix, btw., I was in part responsible for the fix for the angle-bug, but the morepilots-fix is not mine]

Well, then, I stand corrected. Sorry, but that was the impression I was under. Thanks for clearing that up. Still, I appreciate your sending all the files to me anyway!

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 01-18-2000 11:09 AM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey, no problem. Thanks for the attention/promotion, I would've given the name of the morepilots-author, but I don't recall it.

Herr Hoover
Ja! Ich will gerade den Patch senden! Gute Jagd, ich hoffe, dass deine Kacmareks jetzt besser machen gegen die Tommies!
(Is this good german?)

------------------
Der Opa

[This message has been edited by Opa (edited 01-18-2000).]

hoover2701
Member # 1955

posted 01-18-2000 11:17 AM     Profile for hoover2701   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Opa!

Das ist kein gutes deutsch! Das ist fantastisches deutsch!!! No, really, quite impressive, but as far as I know many scandinavian countries teach german in school. At least the swedish do.

Tack sa mycket för morepilots.zip, jag installerar det nu! Heja Norge!!

-------------
supporting the multinational ultimate bulletin board

Waynio
Member # 736

posted 01-18-2000 12:40 PM     Profile for Waynio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Opa, I'm also looking for the "More Planes" fix for the German Staffels. Please send me a weblink or the file itself. I'm using ECA Online 1.21, if that makes any difference. Here's my e-address: [email protected] Vielen Dank!

Posts: 180 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 01-18-2000 10:14 PM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Opa

Du must schnell machen mit der more pilot fix nach alle zu senden- I hear zey have an Panzer I waiting für dich in ze Wehrmacht- Vhen are you going to ze Ost front again?

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 01-19-2000 12:12 AM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
What, more pilots? Think I missed something here - can you send me this thingiemebob too?

Thanks, S!

Stan

[email protected]

------------------
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
musgrove
Member # 1643

posted 01-19-2000 10:07 AM     Profile for musgrove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Opa,
You might as well send me MORE PILOTS also:

[email protected]

I agree with the other guys that you should upload it to somebody's Utilities section of their Webpage (Cord's, Migge's, etc.) Thanks...
Musgrove

Posts: 1245 | From: CT, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 01-19-2000 10:09 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Opa
I'd appreciate if you could forward all the files please. Cheers

[email protected]

------------------
Tally Ho!

[This message has been edited by Hun Hunter (edited 01-19-2000).]

Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 01-19-2000 11:43 AM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rommel
In the summer, but I'm thinking about applying for flight school while I'm up there....know two guys who applied and got rejected...one for having too poor eyesight(on the strictest vision-test in the world), and one because he had thighs that were 0,4 cm too long. I'm shorter than the latter, and I have good eyesight, and I hear the tests were manageble if you had played flight sims...

To the rest of you guys, the file is on it's way!

------------------
Der Opa

musgrove
Member # 1643

posted 01-19-2000 01:39 PM     Profile for musgrove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, Opa!
You are a gentleman and a scholar!

musgrove

Posts: 1245 | From: CT, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 01-20-2000 11:21 AM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thank you, thank you...

------------------
Der Opa

Opa
Member # 125

posted 01-20-2000 11:23 AM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Oh, and uploading is technical stuff. Anything technical just bounces off me. I think I have a sort of automatic-reject-system when it comes to technical stuff.

------------------
Der Opa

Erwache
Member # 2094

posted 01-20-2000 02:08 PM     Profile for Erwache   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ich need das file too. Mein gruppen JG26 has hadt too many losses due to our missing Kameraden. Ze RAF iz chewing up our numbers
und besides ze Luftwaffe is supposed to out number zem Ja? Ich needundsie Reinforcments!
3 Rotte would be gut instead of the reagular
2. Danke schone

Posts: 31 | From: phx. Az. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erwache
Member # 2094

posted 01-20-2000 02:09 PM     Profile for Erwache   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
By the way you can send it to [email protected]
Thanx

------------------
"Ze amerikan has dog biskuts in hiz poket"

Posts: 31 | From: phx. Az. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 01-20-2000 06:42 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
...and, would you please send the "More Pilot" file to me too ;D

< [email protected] >

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.