Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » No Disc??

Author Topic: No Disc??
Gunner
Member # 1815

posted 01-08-2000 08:54 PM     Profile for Gunner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Has anyone come up with a way to eliminate using the CD every time you run EAW?
I am new to EAW, however, I also fly CFS, Falcon 4.0, Janes F-15. I don't have to use the disc on any of them.
(CFS users found away around the problem of having to constantly use the disc)
Having to put the Disc in when I want to run EAW is a pain. HELP!! Gunner

Posts: 13 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-08-2000 09:47 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
How did you get around using the CFS disc? I though Microsoft games always required the use of the disc!
Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 01-09-2000 12:12 AM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I found a crack for EAW that allows you to run off of a full installation without the CD. I haven't tried it because I don't have the HD space to install the full version of EAW. Anyway, I found it here: http://www.megagames.com/

But don't blame me if it doesn't work!

Jamie

Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 01-09-2000 11:02 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nice one Jamie!

I checked out the site and the cracks are for EAW/EAW1.0,but I did not see one for version 1.2.
I have Emailed the chap whom is responsible for making them(regarding version 1.2).

As soon as I get a response,I will post back.

Cheers mate

Posts: 1148 | From: london/uk | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gunner
Member # 1815

posted 01-09-2000 09:46 PM     Profile for Gunner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gen Savage:
How did you get around using the CFS disc? I though Microsoft games [b]always required the use of the disc![/B]

I found it about a year ago in the Forum section at www.simcombat.com. I did not write the mod. down so I can't give it to you. I did put a request on that board to get it again.

JayP
Member # 858

posted 01-10-2000 06:34 AM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
You can get software that creates an image of the CD on your hard drive. You install the game from the image, and you never have to use the CD again (unless your HD crashes). The problem with this approach, of course, is that you need a large drive with lots of empty space. But it sure is convenient if you do.

The program I have is called 'Virtual CD', from Norton. I think there are others out there that do the same thing.

Gunner
Member # 1815

posted 01-10-2000 09:40 PM     Profile for Gunner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gen Savage, Here is the location to download the zipped file for NO DISC for CFS. Instructions are in the "Laxity.nfo" file in the zip. I had been using it for a year and it's nice to not have to use the CD. Good Hunting. www.namzoori.demon.co.uk/lxtcgs10.zip

Gunner
Member # 1815

posted 01-10-2000 10:07 PM     Profile for Gunner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slapphead:
Nice one Jamie!

I checked out the site and the cracks are for EAW/EAW1.0,but I did not see one for version 1.2.
I have Emailed the chap whom is responsible for making them(regarding version 1.2).

As soon as I get a response,I will post back.

Cheers mate

megagames.com now has a crack for EAW 1.1 Nothing yet on the EAW 1.2

SirPsycho
Member # 644

posted 01-11-2000 06:17 AM     Profile for SirPsycho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
There is a No-Cd patch (ver 1.2) at http://www.gamecopyworld.com/

[This message has been edited by SirPsycho (edited 01-12-2000).]

Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 01-13-2000 08:20 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
SirPsycho,

Downloaded files,but some of them where "corrupt" .
I could not get it to work...

Have you,or anyone else managed to get EAW 1.2 to work with a no cd crack?

Squeeze_One
Member # 1723

posted 01-14-2000 12:14 AM     Profile for Squeeze_One   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
JayP:

How is this 'Virtual CD'. Is it faster than using real CD? Any probs wit it?

I think I could give it a shot, so I could put my worth-gold EAW CD to locked box away from two year old kid...

Thx for advance and again thx for your pioneering work with CFS terrain,

Squeeze_One

Posts: 113 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SirPsycho
Member # 644

posted 01-14-2000 01:37 AM     Profile for SirPsycho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Slapphead,
No sorry... I downloaded the files three days ago but I haven't installed them yet. I will try later today (when I get home from work).

SirPsycho

JayP
Member # 858

posted 01-14-2000 05:34 AM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
This virtual CD thing works like a charm, particularly for games that leave essential files on the CD even with a full install, as you get the advantage of HD access speeds. The only problem is that it takes up about 500MB of disk space per CD image. I only play a few sims regularly, so I can cope with this. Fortunately EAW has a small minimum install size, which minimizes the total space consumption.
JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 01-14-2000 06:01 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I tried the files from GameCopyWorld, but they don't seem to work - I think the files are corrupted.
Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 01-14-2000 01:28 PM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
JayP,

Does it work when playing online?
Any disadvantages(apart from needing more disk space for full install),like taking up memory/slowing performence ect?.

And were did you get it from(Shop/online/ or a "special" site ?

I`m fed up with having to stick eaw disk in,especially when you`ve installed it in full...

[This message has been edited by Slapphead (edited 01-14-2000).]

JayP
Member # 858

posted 01-19-2000 05:28 AM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I haven't tried it online, but I can't forsee there being any problems. The only disadvantage is the extra HD space you need, and you get the advantage of faster disk access times.

I only came across this thing because it was included in the software bundle with my motherboard. You can download a trial version to see if it works for you. The program is called "Virtual Drive" and the manufacturer is Far Stone Technology. Try their site at www.farstone.com.

Skyballs
Member # 2078

posted 01-19-2000 12:46 PM     Profile for Skyballs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Warning! The virtual CD evaluation download is "IFFY" at best. You may experience the blue screen after installing it. Also, if you look into their own forums page, there seems to be a lot of people trying to get it to work! They also mention that certain CD programs with copy protection tend to crash or not run at all.
Posts: 11 | From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-19-2000 01:31 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Actually, I like playing EAW directly from the CD. So many titles today require such a lot of hard drive space, but EAW works well with fairly little. Leaves more room for the gazillion EAW add-ons!
Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Squeeze_One
Member # 1723

posted 01-20-2000 12:43 AM     Profile for Squeeze_One   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
After reading JayP's post I have installed "Virtual Drive 2000" from http://www.farstone.com/english/index.asp
It works with no problems, so now I have my CD at safe place and can fly without CD! Have not tried with online flying. You can see comments of this program on ZDNet at http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/zdawards/99/mags/cats/haruti99.html where it won annual award.
If you have room on your HD I recommend this.

-------------
Squeeze_One

Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 01-20-2000 01:10 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Squeeze One,

Did you buy the full version?
Any probs with add on`s?
Have tried it online?

Thx in advance

Squeeze_One
Member # 1723

posted 01-20-2000 06:07 AM     Profile for Squeeze_One   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Slapphead:
I now have the full version after testing the free demo with EAW and dare I say ... CFS ;-)
I am using skins, ECA Online, ECA, EAW Stab, terrains... with it and no problems. I have normal installation of EAW on HD and it recognizes my Virtual EAW CD as normal CD.
And no, I have not (yet) tried it online. I am behind company firewall which causes me trouble to fly online

Hope this helps.
---------------
Squeeze_One

Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 01-20-2000 09:37 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Squeeze_One

Sounds good !

Thx

S!

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.