Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Suncom and the trigger

Author Topic: Suncom and the trigger
Slickster
Member # 384

posted 01-13-2000 10:18 AM     Profile for Slickster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey, Gents. A technical question.

I have one of those Suncom rigs advertised at the top of the page. I really like it, too. Beats the heck out of the old WCS and Top Gun from Thrustmaster.
Problem is that if I set it up so that the joystick uses keyboard emulation, the guns won't fire. And the spacebar won't do it either. Was online the other day and the few times I actually got lined up for a shot....Phhhhttttt. Arrgh.

My question....is there someway to get the game to recognize a different keystroke as the gun trigger, so I can try to program THAT one to the trigger on the joystick? You know, make the, say, "end" button the gun trigger?

If there is, and I know someone on this forum will answer, 'cause that's what we do here :-), no matter how whiskey delta the question. One plea... give me precise directions on how to do it, as I am an old fart and oft times computer-challenged. Pretend I'm 8 years old.

------------------
Rick "Slick" Land

Posts: 551 | From: Fayetteville, AR, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
NJG88_Scooter
Member # 477

posted 01-13-2000 12:29 PM     Profile for NJG88_Scooter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Slickster,

Same setup here, had to re-assign key also.

1)....start eaw

2)....go to "configure game"

3)....go to "control"

4)....now to "advanced", at bottom of that screen
5)....at the top of this page, go to "weapon"

6)....if you move cursor over commands, you'll notice the command turns red. find "fire selected gun"
7)....click on "fire selected gun", and another box will appear, asking what key you
would like to assign to this command.
8)....just hit the key you want to use to fire guns
9) I chose the "K" key, since nothing is assigned to it.
10)....make sure you hiy "o.k", to save changes.
11)....now, go configure the "K" button to the flight stick trigger as normal.

hope this helped.

Posts: 14 | From: Himilayas | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slickster
Member # 384

posted 01-13-2000 01:53 PM     Profile for Slickster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Scooter, howya?

Many many thanks for that. The K button it is. Thanks for taking the time to post.

So, how do you like that Suncom set up? The throttle throw is a bit stiff for a prop sim, to my thinking. Quick throttle changes are a bit more suitable in the props than jets. Other than that, plus the limit to 4 set-ups, I really love the thing. Love the "feel" of the stick, too.

------------------
Rick "Slick" Land

Posts: 551 | From: Fayetteville, AR, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blade
Member # 295

posted 01-13-2000 02:30 PM     Profile for Blade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

I see Scooter answer ur question.

Glad u like the suncom, I've been using the Talon and SFS for a long time (on to second Talon). Its the best combo for the buck. If you got the combine unit from suncom, u are limited to the 4 sets of presets. If u have the SFS + talon, you get the same 4 presets with the throttle plus 4 more on the talon. There some many, that it would even satisfy a vacume driver. I use to have my combo set up for Falcon 4 were each preset rep a diff mode in the F4, got to the pt were I had to start labling the preset selectors to rem what system is set...lol..

As u might already guess, I luv the Suncom HOTAS, now if they would come out with a full digital HOTAS (peddals too) I would get it in a flash.

The only prob with the Suncom JS has been trying to calibrate in windows, this can be fustrating in that no two seems to center at the same point. U have to fudge the center at times so as to get centering done for the JS. With digital u prob not need to calibrate the JS anymore (hopefully). Thats about the only prob I had with the Suncom JS, that is in calibrating it in windows.

Blade

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 01-13-2000).]

Posts: 158 | From: Nepean, Onatrio, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
NJG88_Scooter
Member # 477

posted 01-13-2000 02:37 PM     Profile for NJG88_Scooter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Slickster,

Glad I could be of help.

I really like this system, and am getting used to it. After having the Saitek system, it's nice not dealing with the sticky key problems anymore.
Understand about the throttle, have the tension bar slider all the way back, and still feels a little stiff. Hopefully that will loosen up after hours of use.
There's an SPI (shared program interface) at the suncom site, that lets you configure your system so that you can save different setups for different sims. 16 configs, per slot, so you could have a total of 64 programmable buttons\switches per sim.
I'm only using slot 1 for eaw (16 configs), using all 64 would confuse the hell outta me!.......
It's a sharp program, and you might want to check it out.

Good Luck & Good Hunting!

Posts: 14 | From: Himilayas | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.