Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » After Action Action ideas.

Author Topic: After Action Action ideas.
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-06-2000 02:32 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
One thing missing from ALL flight sims is a fun little interaction area between missions, ala Wing Commander style.

In my ultimate fantasy game, for example, as a Luftwaffe pilot, you could go bar crawling in France or Berlin (depending on your locale) and either get a new arse torn in you for your disasterous last mission by your drunken squadron commander, or meet up with some pretty French barmaid or fraulein if you had a particularly good mission. Lounging around the bar would be other pilots in your squadron that you could shoot the merde with about tactics, ect... The whole thing would be done with authentic 1940's radio music and news broadcasts, and background talking noise. In multiplayer, you could pull up a tool with the other virtual pilots and chaw the fat on each other's exploits.

Anyone else like this idea?

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-06-2000 02:33 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
er,... that's pull up a STOOL! STOOL! got that? (oh great, now everyone's snickering like Beavis and Butthead!)

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 01-06-2000 02:37 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm not going to touch that at all, Gavin!!!! LOL

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 01-06-2000 03:00 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ouch!!!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Pharaoh
Member # 1123

posted 01-06-2000 03:03 PM     Profile for Pharaoh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Much better to pull up a Stool than to have some fellow walk up and ask if he can push yours in for you.

ewww! We're getting rank around here.

I like the idea though. Aces of the deep had a little something like that. But would like to see it go a step farther like you suggested. Perhaps in Multiplay, a cabaret style chatroom.

------------------
"A mind is like a parachute; it only functions when it is open." Sir Lewis Dewar

[This message has been edited by 56thFG_Pharaoh (edited 01-06-2000).]

Posts: 2180 | From: Harrison, AR,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-06-2000 03:06 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, that's just great, Pharaoh, they must have embalmed you with a toilet brush in one hand and a plunger in the other.

Anyhoo,

What about the virtual bar idea?

(course, it would require an extra CD or two, that's how Wing Commander did it)

------------------

Whizkid
Member # 993

posted 01-06-2000 11:03 PM     Profile for Whizkid     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S!---Sounds like a great idea to me.Now how about adding virtual Black Bush and a very compliant virtual Camp Follower to spice things up? Cant be having it too straight,can we?
Posts: 269 | From: CitrusHts,Ca.,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Whizkid
Member # 993

posted 01-06-2000 11:06 PM     Profile for Whizkid     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S!---Sounds like a great idea to me.Now how about adding virtual Black Bush and a very compliant virtual Camp Follower to spice things up? Cant be having it too straight,can we?
Whizkid
Member # 993

posted 01-06-2000 11:18 PM     Profile for Whizkid     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OOPS!!
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 01-07-2000 03:29 AM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes, that's something I miss in every flight-sim, some interaction with other "characters" - preferably in the Officer's Lounge with a Black Bush in the hand!!!

Haven't seen this in any other flight-sim except Wing Commander - but is this one really a flight sim?

Hmmm... but I frown about the idea of giving the AI wingies some attributes as - "totally pissed", "hangover", "stoned"... what would they do then in the air????

Stan

------------------
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tannethal
Member # 666

posted 01-07-2000 04:39 AM     Profile for Tannethal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Does anybody remember these weird, lousy so called flight sims from Origin (yes the ones who made first time Wing commander).
I can remeber one covered the Pacific war ("Pacific War"?) and one the First Worldwar. These intermission things were made in a wingcommander I/II style and looked awfull, I only had this lousy Pacific thing and was allowed to talk to such dumb wingies that I kept asking myself how the heck the USA won. The only thought that occured when talking to these dumb as-ses was how great it would be to fly a Zeke and take them apart with cannons.
The "sim" itself was even worse, a flightmodel you would have laughed, no stalls , no bullet or rocket dive, everything you fired moved straight on. And to date I was not able to find out where the flight bevavior of the planes should have had a difference at all. The whole thing was like flying spacecraft that could colide with the ground. After this terrible expirience I refused to take a closer look at the WWI thing.

If such intermission actions thing have to be done in a flightsim, then in a good way.
I liked these rumors from the mechanicans in AOE, they kept you informed of how the war was going, a thing I miss in EAW.

[This message has been edited by Tannethal (edited 01-07-2000).]

Posts: 537 | From: Olbernhau Germany | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 01-07-2000 08:07 AM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Umm... Hello... Virtual barmaids anyone? C'mon, I can't believe I'm the only one backing up Gavin on that.

------------------
- KMHPaladin
- [email protected]
- "I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the
enemy... at minimum range it doesn't matter what your angle
is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."
- Colonel Erich Hartmann

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 01-07-2000 02:22 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey, I back you up on this, lads!

Stan

------------------
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 01-07-2000 03:51 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Paladin,

Re: the virtual Barmaids...While I agree that such would be a great add-on, it might pose some problems:

1) Every red-blooded male would fly with full easy just to be sure that he would make it back and have something to brag about.

2) No one would post here, they would be too busy flying and heading back to the barn.

3) The mission abort rate would skyrocket.

4) Donster would never leave.

5) Dog Breath would sue.

Other than that it's a great idea!!!

------------------

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-07-2000 04:26 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
1) Every red-blooded male would fly with full easy just to be sure that he would make it
back and have something to brag about.

Much like the medals thing, the 'fun factor' that you get after the mission is directly related to your mission score, which is affected by the settings you have chosen and if you landed your own airplane or not, as is present currently in EAW.

2) No one would post here, they would be too busy flying and heading back to the barn.

I'd say that there would be more posts of
'Last night I went ALL the way with Frau Ursula! Here are the screenshots!!!'

3) The mission abort rate would skyrocket.

See 1.

4) Donster would never leave.

Leave? leave where? Leave the game? See 2.

5) Dog Breath would sue.

All right, I'm out of a loop somewhere. Who's Dog Breath and why would he sue?

------------------

rjm
Member # 1373

posted 01-07-2000 07:01 PM     Profile for rjm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Wasn't that the guy that was gonna sue someone for helpin' him? I da know, I can't keep track.......I'm goin' back up.
RJM.

Posts: 264 | From: Fairview, Michigan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 01-08-2000 01:59 PM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
mane_raptor -

6) Mark L Tucker would post another rant about how anything other than flying is evil and a tool of the devil and admin should get rid of it (ducks rotten fruit )

------------------
- KMHPaladin
- [email protected]
- Colonel Erich Hartmann

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Der Fremd Fokker
Member # 806

posted 01-10-2000 12:32 AM     Profile for Der Fremd Fokker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

Great idea! I remember something like that playing Strike Commander a few years back. In SC you played the leader of a mercenary F16 squadron, set around 2010 AD in the Middle East. You drummed up business by frequenting the local tavern and talking to the rather suspicious looking people that hang-out there. You also had conversations with your squad members and others that enhanced the storyline. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but I thought it really added to my immersion in the game. IMHO SC wasn't an accurate SIM, but It was a good GAME.

I also remember the 'cabaret' area, between missions in Aces of the Deep. It was a bit more interesting than sitting in the barracks on your own, listening to the wireless, like you do (not) in EAW. Actually, I'd say AOTD was a very atmospheric sim all-round.

Posts: 107 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-11-2000 02:07 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Indeed!

Here's another cool idea.

When you scramble, you see yourself bolting out the door, and you run to your plane as explosions start peppering the field (if they are that close - they often aren't).

The planes are not all lined up like cars in rushhour, they're scattered around the field.

Many times, I 'goof off' during a scramble to get a more realistic take-off, like take the brakes off the second I jump into the cockpit, and hit hard-left or right rudder, so as the engine cranks up I turn off the runway and have to make a quick take-off over the roof of the barracks or something.

One of my favorite parts of the Battle of Britain movie was the emergency take-off done by those spits as the bombers started peppering their field. It's every man for himself and you have the whole squadron taking off at once across the entire airfield, dodging the shell-craters. A couple of Spits bought it, very exciting. I was hoping for something like that during the Bob campaign scrambles playing the RAF, but have never seen it happen. The Germans are always just far enough away to allow a nice lazy by-the-book take-off. BORING!!!!

I believe the take-off code for EAW was ported directly from 1942: Pacific Air War. The planes are lined up like on a Carrier Deck!

The US AF may have used this pattern for later war take-offs that were under little threat of attack (until the forward air bases after D-Day) when they were going to be forming up with bombers.

The Brits most certainly DID NOT take off like that, and I doubt the Germans did, either.

------------------

Blade
Member # 295

posted 01-11-2000 03:19 PM     Profile for Blade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Are U guys really missing the after action pub sessions ala Wing Commander or just Ginger Lyne(sp?) as the mech's chief in Wing Commander.....

What other job Ginger does other then being chief Mech in WC, I have NOOOO idea, honest guys...

Blade...

Posts: 158 | From: Nepean, Onatrio, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 01-11-2000 03:31 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Home movies IMHO (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

------------------

Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-11-2000 03:36 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Actually, I think she's retired, now.

I remember one quote by an er, professional male co-worker of hers, he said that Ginger Lyn looked like the cute McDonalds girl behind the counter you always wanted to ask out on a date.

Guess someone finally did.

------------------

PHilA
Member # 1019

posted 01-11-2000 09:59 PM     Profile for PHilA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
here's a thought; after a night at the virtual bar with the virtual bar maids etc; the next morning (or week later) a visit to the virtual M.O.'s office. If you pick the wrong barmaid, you may end up on the sick list and off duty for a few days. A short film on the evils of excess will then be run like in Red Baron II using real footage fromm the films shown to service men from that era. Probably not in the best of taste, but not inaccurate historically
rjm
Member # 1373

posted 01-12-2000 05:48 AM     Profile for rjm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
What? The Medical Section, What? Ginger Lyn #@&%$*, I knew I played this game once too often!
Posts: 264 | From: Fairview, Michigan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
BeerNBrats
Member # 1755

posted 01-12-2000 04:13 PM     Profile for BeerNBrats   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Even worse than the M.O.s....having to deal with the 6'4", 280 pound master sargent in charge of maintenance after you bring back "his" bird shot full of lead!

------------------
Any plane flys better with a belly full of beer 'n brats!

Posts: 48 | From: Jamaica Plain, MA USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 01-12-2000 05:12 PM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I never played Mechwarrior, but I remember the "crew chief" in Earthsiege. A 300-pound African American with a camo tshirt, a coil of wire around his waist, and a disposition that would make anyone's mother in law look downright friendly . I guess I was missing something...

------------------
- KMHPaladin
- [email protected]
- Colonel Erich Hartmann

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.