Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Playable out of the box?

Author Topic: Playable out of the box?
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 01-06-2000 04:13 PM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
EAW seems to be a pretty good game. With about half a milloin user add-ons, so...

Is the game any good straight out of the box? I'm not all that big on add-ons and like to "play it straight"

Regards

/Nolan

Posts: 307 | From: Lund, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 01-06-2000 04:19 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It's not bad out of the box. I had been waiting so long for a WWII flight sim that almost anything would have been good. Just at least add the 1.2 Patch.

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-06-2000 04:23 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'd second that. I played it for a week out of the box, with no bugs or crashes, but by the end of the week, I was ready to march my entire squadron into the Channel and order 200 pushups. They were PATHETIC!!!

With the 1.2 patch, I soon found myself playing catchup with the ace fliers in the squadron and often took to watching them to learn how to do it properly. To say the friendly AI was 'improved' in the 1.2 patch would be to say my 3 year old son should be able to play the game better at 18.

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 01-06-2000 04:45 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Get the 1.2 patch, change your resolution, and download a Meatwater sound pack. Those would be my minimum updates.
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 01-06-2000 05:19 PM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes, first patch to 1.2 (there's a REASON why the sim is at v1.2 standard!).........I don't really consider this to be a true add-on------I consider it more like a software upgrade (like Internet Explorer 4.0 vs. IE 5.0). "Out of the box" + v1.2 patch, it's a pretty darn good sim. One of the great things about EAW is it's ability to give you the feel that you are participating in a....an.....an....AIR WAR!, and it doesn't need any add-ons to do that!

The absolute minimum addition is the MeatWater soundpack (use the "light" 3MB version if you don't want too much extra stuff in your EAW Folder).

A few nice-looking skins (changed every now and then) will go a long way to making the game seem even more visually exciting, and will only add a handful of Kb's to your folder.

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 01-07-2000 06:38 AM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanx all, I'll give it a look.

And for the record I don't consider patches to be add-ons. So the 1,2 will go in right after the game has installed.

KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 01-07-2000 08:06 AM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nolan, I would say that you could play EAW straight (or 1.2'd) out of the box. Of course, that would be patently insane. If you want to fly the best WWII flightsim available now, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't download the addons. They won't crash your computer, and trust me they're not going to detract from your experience. I would really check out Meatwater's sound addon, the skins, and of course Enemy Coast Ahead. EAW wouldn't be EAW without 'em.

------------------
- KMHPaladin
- [email protected]
- "I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the
enemy... at minimum range it doesn't matter what your angle
is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."
- Colonel Erich Hartmann

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 01-07-2000 09:40 AM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
> KMHPaladin
"Nolan, I would say that you could play EAW straight (or 1.2'd) out of the box. Of course, that would be patently insane."
Could you develop on the subject?

"If you want to fly the best WWII flightsim available now, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't download the addons."
I'm sorry but I'm a generic sceptic when it comes to user add-ons.

"They won't crash your computer,"
And you personaly guaratee that? Provide tech support on them and so forth?

"and trust me they're not going to detract from your experience"
Probably not, but still. I tend to judge game quality by what the originating company managed to do. After all that is what I pay for.

Regards

/Nolan

[This message has been edited by Nolan (edited 01-07-2000).]

Old Guy
Member # 1606

posted 01-07-2000 12:51 PM     Profile for Old Guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mr. Nolan;
Fly the game with the 1.2 patch and keep reading the posts, both here and on other EAW pages. I guarantee you'll get a lot out of the forums and before long you'll want to play with the various add-ons.

Posts: 1769 | From: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 01-07-2000 03:04 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sure Nolan, what you paid for is the game as is out of the box - but the add-ons are

1.) Free of charge
2.) extensively tested by the folks here - you can be sure, as soon as a problem develops you will find posts about it here
3.) They don't crash your 'puter
4.) Add new flyable planes, sounds, terrains, flight characteristics etc, etc

Why play as you bought it - if you can enhance it? None of the add-ons screw it, just the opposite, they add tremendously to the feeling of the game. I was a sceptic myself too, but then I gave it a go -and I haven't regret it.

Of course, the choice is yours!

Stan

------------------
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 01-07-2000 03:35 PM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Stanley99
>Why play as you bought it - if you can enhance it?
I'd say alter. I just want a good game out of the box without having to spend hours on end downloading stuff and fiddlign with it to make it any good.

As for experience of user add-on let's just say that I've been there, I've done that and I'm not quite ready to go back.

Thanx for letting me chose =)

Regards

/Nolan

Sidewinder062
Member # 1767

posted 01-07-2000 03:37 PM     Profile for Sidewinder062   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nolan, All of the above is true, but to really appreciate the addons I would fly at least one short campaign in "stock" configuration (EAW+v1.2). This will allow you to realize just how much EAW's fans have done for the sim. I would also phase the various d/ls in, for perspective. This is the way I did it, because I've been at this since the pre-patch days, and I hope your experience is every bit as good as mine has been.

This may be considered heresy by many, but I've gone back to the 640x480 as my resolution of choice. I find the standard cockpit view to be much more attractive than the 3D ones available at higher resolutions. I seriously doubt that any other cyberpilot in the known universe would agree with me, but since I spend so much time in those cockpits; I want the one that looks and feels best to me. Good luck Nolan, you've got a great time ahead of you. See you over the Channel. Reese

Posts: 400 | From: Marshall, Texas, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HarryM
Member # 1395

posted 01-07-2000 03:39 PM     Profile for HarryM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Out of the box and updated to 1.2 will keep you going for a long time. There's alot there to exhaust before you will feel obliged to start changing things.

------------------
"Hast du schon mit dem Teufel getanzt?"

Posts: 1130 | From: Salinas, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-07-2000 04:37 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The whole point is to work gradually into the add-ons. I played for a week before I slapped the patch on, then I played for a month before the first skin went in, then I downloaded ECA, then I slapped in some more skins, then I tried making my own skin, then I wanted the most realistic flight models and gun models, ect... all over the last 8 months. Some guys here have been playing the game almost continuously since it was released, so they probably took much longer to add the various components.

Personally I have about 2 hours a night to play, that's it, and I don't want to spend more than 1/2 an hour downloading and installing add-ons, so I have taken a gradual approach, that I'm sure, most others have.

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 01-08-2000 03:42 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nolan:

Of course you can do whatever you want... but you did ask for opinions.

I too have (had?) a general dislike for "add- ons." I have even added things to various games and sims only to go back the next day, uninstall and reinstall, because i didn't like the add-on's performance.

But with EAW, I found an exception. I flew it for many months before adding anything. I read about different terrain, aircraft colors and markings (skins), sound packs, etc. I kept thinking, all these amateur programs and files must really screw up the sim.

But they haven't. I had a minor problem with one add-on file I dowloaded- out of at least a dozen! And it wasn't a crash or anything, I just didn't like the results.

I'm using Meatwater sounds, Combat Flight Sim terrain, numerous custom squadron colors and markings- all without a glitch.

My best advice to you is this: TRY IT. Fly with 1.2 as-is. If and when you desire more, come back here and download Meatwater sound, or new terrain. They all Zip right into your EAW folder in seconds. If you install something you really hate, you can delete the particular component or, worst case scenerio, reinstall the sim. As long as you don't experiment with new add-ons in the middle of an important campaign you're running, you have nothing to lose!

EAW is between $20 and $30 these days. The add-ons are FREE. Coming here to get all the advice and support you could ever want is FREE. You can fly online with other human pilots on the Zone, also FREE.

Can any other sim give you more for your money?

[This message has been edited by Casey (edited 01-08-2000).]

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 01-08-2000 10:13 PM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nolan, I guess I can see your problem with addons because I felt it before. I wasn't willing to download them initially because I was wary of user addons. However, I finally got interested after seeing threads on people flying bomber intercepts in Ju-88s or Me-410s or bombing in the B-26 (heck, I even encouraged Charles Gunst to incorporate the A-26 Invader into ECA Panel 2, reason enough to DL it ) in Enemy Coast Ahead, or changing their heavy FW-190A8s into nimble A4s using ECA Panel, or altering flight models with ECA Online or EAW Flight Edit... And then, of course there is Meatwater's soundpack, you'd be insane not to download it... and trust me, skins aren't going to fry your hard drive.

The bottom line is this - if you don't want to dowload 'em, nobody's going to force you to. However, stick around in the EAW forums. I can't remember one post about any problems anyone's had as a result of using Enemy Coast Ahead, ECA Panel, Turning Point over Europe, Meatwater's soundpack, or any skins/terrain. If you're a skeptic, then that should be all the more reason to test out addons, to see if they are up to your expectations. You're right, I can't guarantee that they won't blow up your computer, but out of 11,000+ posts on this board not a single one has said such a thing could happen.

If you're worried, make a second installation in another directory, and install ECA, some skins, maybe Jay's CFS terrain, Meatwater's soundpack... You'll never go back. I'm using ECA, ECAPanel, CFS Terrain, Meatwater's Soundpack, and I have used EAWGunEdit and EAWFlightEdit. I have not had a single problem with them.

------------------
- KMHPaladin
- [email protected]
- "I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the
enemy... at minimum range it doesn't matter what your angle
is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."
- Colonel Erich Hartmann

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 01-08-2000 10:42 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nolan, a couple of gamesites (Gamecenter and the alas, now defunct Warzone) did head-to-head comparisons of EAW, WW2, and CFS. Both sites rated EAW as first (by a nose over WW2-CFS was several lengths back). This was pre-patch, pre-ECA, pre everything. So obviously the game is pretty good out of the box. I download everything EAW-related if it looks like I can use it, but I have to agree with most of the guys-the patch, Meatwater's sound and ECA are must-haves! My 2 worth.
Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.