Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » What EAW addon could you not fly without?

Author Topic: What EAW addon could you not fly without?
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 01-04-2000 05:59 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My vote goes to James Yoon for setting a standard that I'll never eclipse, but not for lack of trying.

If I had to make a choice between giving up every add-on in EAW with the exception of one thing. James Yoon's skins would win out.

Here's a look at the first Mustang skin he sent me, which changed the way I paint every plane I've made thereafter. I've never tried to modify this one for 3Dfx because to me, it would be like a kindergartner touching up the Mona Lisa

I've shelled out as much as 30 bucks for some very disappointing CFS plane packs for CFS. I even paid 12 bucks for a single plane once for CFS, although it was a very nice P-51D Dakota Kid. I wouldn't blink twice to pay for a James Yoon plane pack for EAW, and it wouldn't go back to the store the next day like the CFS pack did

Airbuddha's Homepage for EAW

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 01-04-2000 06:04 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gotta go with ECA and ECAPanel. Wouldn't fly without them.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
bucky-s
Member # 1588

posted 01-04-2000 06:05 PM     Profile for bucky-s   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ditto.

------------------
Your own personal encounter with the most gorgeous models on the Net absolutely FREE @ http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/alley/6207

Posts: 179 | From: Shizuoka City, Japan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 01-04-2000 06:21 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Agreed. The JY skins are a niche thing for me. I can't imagine Charles Gunst's ECA not blowing away every addon submitted in an EAW shootout. Without ECA, a Pacific addon would still be a pipe dream.

Airbuddha

Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 01-04-2000 06:29 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ha! And on the same note. I doubt that EAW would have lived nearly so long without Meatwater's soundpack. Geez! What a stupid post. There's no way to pick one single saving grace for EAW. It's the whole enchilada that makes it the greatest prop sim I've ever played

Airbuddha

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 01-04-2000 06:35 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I tried to think along these lines, but I can't.

I wouldn't give any of them up!!!

If I did that then it would be like running EAW straight out of the box, how DULL!

The fun, to me, is in reading about some great air mission and then trying to duplicate it. Say for example, Yamamoto's shootdown. You need EAWStab to switch to the Pacific, ECA to set up the 38's, Betty's and Zero's, EAW Skinner to get the skins right, and Aircraft Edit to make sure the numbers match the actual performance.

Without all of these and others, EAW is just another WWII sim, guys.

Now give me a minute while I get the CO2 bottles handy before you reply.

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tannethal
Member # 666

posted 01-05-2000 04:50 AM     Profile for Tannethal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
TPE42 & MSkinmod by Paulo Morais
plus ECAPanel for variants

Posts: 537 | From: Olbernhau Germany | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Capitan Manduca
Member # 918

posted 01-05-2000 06:02 AM     Profile for Capitan Manduca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S!

ECA and ECA Panel. These are the magic touch for EAW. Of course, my own skins

BTW, my homesite has been washed and it has a new look and new planes... http://members.xoom.com/kikegg

------------------
"Roll over, spin round and come in behind them. Move to their blindsides and firing again"
Iron Maiden - Aces High

Posts: 888 | From: Madrid, España | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 01-05-2000 10:39 AM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
If I had to pick one, it would be ECA, but I currently use:
ECA + Panel
Meatwater sound
JayP terrain
Skins by all the great artistes, and my own.
Jeroen's pilot/squadron editor
(it allows you to code in a specific day for the next mission)

Each has added it's own unique enhancement that keeps me coming back.

The next big thing I want is a total war campaign from 1940 to 1945, or new plane modelling (as opposed to slapping new paint and flight characteristics on the same planes).

WANT WANT WANT! It's all about me, isn't it?

I'm quite appreciative of all the goodies thus far, and if we never get another, they have still combined to make EAW the absolute best flight sim I've ever played, and one of the top computer games I've ever played.

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 01-05-2000 09:25 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The skins are great but, if I had to chose only ONE, it would have to be Meatwater Sounds- after running with them for a while, the stock sounds would seem pretty weak.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.