Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Pacific skins ..is there a way to make em more real

Author Topic: Pacific skins ..is there a way to make em more real
no609_OzZiggy
Member # 1550

posted 01-03-2000 01:52 AM     Profile for no609_OzZiggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
First things first

all you skin makers , congratulations!, my hat is off to you for your oustanding contributions to eaw, i for one dont have the skill or inclination to do add ons and really appreciate those that do ..because they keep the game alive

however, im looking through the pacific skins ..and the zero looks like a FW 190 the tony like a 109 etc. Is it possible to get them looking as they should. I recently saw a zero done on the WWII fighters forum and its fantastic. I dont fly WWII fighters but i wish we could get results like this.

Is it possible or is i just a case of microprose not releasing adequate "painting" tools

cheers Zig (i get my pc today ot tomorrow , so i hope to see you guys in the sky soon)

Posts: 92 | From: at the moment germany munich (but im an aussie) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 01-03-2000 03:37 AM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OzZiggy,

Here's the problem: We can repaint the planes in any way we please, but the 3-dimensional shapes of the planes are not changeable. Thus, with my zeroes I tried my very best to make a Fw190a shape look like a zero, and the same with the tonys. Sorry we can't do any better, but MicroProse has kept the codes for their 3D models confidential thus far. As it is, we'll have to settle for zeroes, franks, and oscars that all look like Fw190s!

Jamie Richards

Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Pauldoe
Member # 52

posted 01-03-2000 10:25 AM     Profile for Pauldoe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Jamie:
Has anyone asked Microprose to release the code for their 3D plane models? I don't use the Pac skins , although I'd love to, because they look goofy streched out on other planes....I bet a lot of designers would do up Hellcats, Zeros etc. just as they do in FS2000 ! It might keep EAW alive a long time, until PAW could be released ...(Pacific Air War).
Cheers
PTH

Posts: 45 | From: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 01-03-2000 01:21 PM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure people have asked in the past, but maybe I'll ask MicroProse myself just to see what they say.

They don't look that goofy, do they? I'm tryin' here the best I can, honest! Okay, the Hellcats aren't very convincing, and the Tonys are a bit of a stretch, but I think that the Fw190a looks quite a lot like a zero, if you ignore the cockpit, don't you think? I think the the biggest stretch so far is trying to make the He111 look like a Betty...it looks Japanese, but not much like a Betty!

In my opinion, the Japanese plane that looks the most like a Fw190a is the Ki-84 Frank, and I've nearly finished a new skin for it. Since the next ECA Panel will put the Frank into the Fw190d slot, I'll have to work with Paulo's MSKINMOD to allow people to fly the Frank with my skin.

The bottom line is that as things stand, the best we'll get out of EAW is a poor man's PAW. Too bad...it would be much more satisfying skinning Japanese planes that looked like Japanese planes!

Jamie

Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 01-03-2000 01:39 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I don't really think its that bad. If you load up the skins and fly a mission or two its even better. Charles has done a good job modifying the flight models. Hop in the "Zero" and take a cruise around, try a few loops and turns. Pretty cool, huh? The blue P-47c/Hellcats aren't too bad either. You can always fly the P-38's, 51's, and 47's. I may be shining the best possible light on this mod, but its all we've got if we want the Pacific Theater.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 01-03-2000 02:48 PM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I agree Tailspin. I like flying the zeroes. As for the Hellcats, well, I like the look of my grey sharkmouth version, if only for the fact that the sharkmouth looks cool. But Airbuddha's blue Hellcats are a bit more convincing as Hellcats, I think.

Jamie

no609_OzZiggy
Member # 1550

posted 01-04-2000 04:49 AM     Profile for no609_OzZiggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
ok guys i see its a case of doing the best with what we have ..thanks once again for all your skin works ...i wonder if we can start up a pacific theater set of sqns ...just an idea
Posts: 92 | From: at the moment germany munich (but im an aussie) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
no609_OzZiggy
Member # 1550

posted 01-04-2000 04:51 AM     Profile for no609_OzZiggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Pacific air war ???? when is that due to be releases or is it just another one of the many fantasy releases

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.