Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Advice?

Author Topic: Advice?
Mad Morg
Member # 1512

posted 12-22-1999 07:06 PM     Profile for Mad Morg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Picked the game up for 9.00$ installed it and was turned away by the graphics, now dont get mad! I know gameply is important but 640x480 8bit? come on! Anyway my question is: is the gameply really that good? should I give it some time to grow on me or will I never be happy with the graphics? Just a question from a guy who loves sims with smooooth visuals. Thanks all!
Take care!

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-22-1999 07:11 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Run, do not walk to the download area for EAW on this site (combatsim.com). Get the 1.2 patch. Install it. Any and I mean ANY size you want up to and including 1200 x 1600!!

Then ask about the different terrains (go ahead just ask!!!) and skins and other add ons.

For $9.00 you got one hell of a bargan, I'd be willing to pay 3 times that for a backup copy alone!!!

Guys, we have a live one here, pounce!!!

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

[This message has been edited by mane_raptor (edited 12-22-1999).]

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blade
Member # 295

posted 12-22-1999 07:23 PM     Profile for Blade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Too easy. Kind of fishy. Trowling? If I am wrong my appologies MAD_MOG.
http://www.fortunecity.de/wolkenkratzer/vigurs/328/frames.html

Try that site easier to get most things except skins.

Blade

Posts: 158 | From: Nepean, Onatrio, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 12-22-1999 08:13 PM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mane_Raptor's right! Install the 1.2 patch and crank up the resolution to whatever your system can handle. Then you can spend months working your way through the universe of add-ons, replacement skins, terrains, etc. And the gameplay is great. Give it another shot, dude, and you'll thank us for encouraging you to do so!

Myself, I like the graphics quite a lot. They're not exactly slick, but I think they have a real appeal -- that is, at high resolution! I too was disappointed until I installed the patch...now, EAW takes up much of my time!

Jamie Richards

Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 12-22-1999 08:22 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
And the 8 bit color allowed MicroProse to put up to 256 aircraft onscreen, in the air at the same time. The other sims might have better graphics on a single aircraft, but they put a measly 16 in the air at once. WWII was fought in numbers that EAW's 256 aircraft can't approach. 16 is just a joke.

Sisu

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 12-22-1999 09:11 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Where did you find EAW for $9.00? I'd definately buy several copies to proselytise my friends who don't have it.

Airbuddha's Homepage for EAW Skins

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
matttm
Member # 662

posted 12-23-1999 01:26 AM     Profile for matttm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Last Friday, I saw it for $14.99 in Software Etc at Copley Place, Boston, MA.

Matt.

Posts: 692 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 12-23-1999 03:06 AM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
After much playing, knashing of teeth, wringing of hands, cursing & swearing, IMHO, EAW is, as we say in Can. "The Great One". By far not the best in some areas, but overall, I haven't found or had, one WW2 sim to beat it. It was a good sim to start but the dedication & experise of many, have now made it, again IMO, the best & one stand alone milestone. Never to be forgotten in WW2 sim land!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.