Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Automatic Terrain Loader Released!

Author Topic: Automatic Terrain Loader Released!
matttm
Member # 662

posted 12-20-1999 01:35 AM     Profile for matttm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
This is to announce the release of 'European Air War Stab', an Automatic/Manual Terrain set handler which is an un-official add-on to MicroProse's European Air War.

Download now from this link: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~matttm/eaw/download.html .

Please, please, read the ReadMe.txt before using to understand the limitations that EAW Stab operates under.

A special thanks to Lab Rat (aka Mane_Raptor - there now they know!) for being the Guinea Pig and all the work he did testing the product - thanks!

Matt.

Posts: 692 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 12-20-1999 05:56 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just downloaded it..........can't wait to try it out!!! Thanks Matt and Rat .
Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lab Rat
Member # 1343

posted 12-20-1999 09:19 AM     Profile for Lab Rat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rats, my secret id is known....

But thanks, Matt, for a great add-on.

This works great guys!!!! NO BS. On manual mode, you can store the CFS (or any other terrain) in one of the folders and use the function for a clean swap out. I keep the CFS in the summer folder and the spring terr is EAW default. Thus to swap from say winter to CFS, load EAW (spring..that clears out any .ter files in the EAW dir) then load my summer folder (CFS) and launch EAW from Matt's program.

As for automatic, well, I know exiting is a pain, but come'on there are (if you play long careers) about 12-15 missions per season. Unless your an absolute, dyed-in-the-wool, you'll take that joystick from my cold dead hands, EAW nut (with a relief tube). You gotta get up out the chair at some point!!!! So the Auto function has it limits, for right now (HEHE). But when used right, it really, really works.

READ THE "READ ME", please.

There is one other problem,but not with Matt's product. (BTW I tested against ECA 1.4 latest, ECApanel 2.0 & 2.1, ECA pilot, and a couple of others I can't remember, but no conflicts found.)

If you are flying when the snow is on the ground, the default instr. readings color (light green) is hard to read. I got myself lost and headed in the wrong direction several times. Does anybody know the ini file settings to change that to a darker green (kaki maybe)?

Great Job Matt!!
-----------------
Check Six & Aim for the Cheese

[This message has been edited by Lab Rat (edited 12-20-1999).]

Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-20-1999 09:43 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
matttm,

Great job! Downloaded it this morning. Works fantastic! I salute you! A big thanks to mane_raptor,too!

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-20-1999 11:26 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
matttm,

Sorry for this question. You will probably want to stick an ice pick between my eyes!
Is there a way we can add the Pacific Terrain as a manual option?

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Papa Hotel
Member # 996

posted 12-20-1999 11:30 AM     Profile for Papa Hotel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
And with the Corsair patched in please?
Posts: 80 | From: Groningen, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
matttm
Member # 662

posted 12-20-1999 02:05 PM     Profile for matttm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just to clear up a couple of mane_raptor/Lab Rats points.

1. Leaving any Terrain folder empty, implies using the EAW terrain when that Terrain set is in effect.

2. You can load any terrain set in any folder you like. In the ReadMe.txt I am just making my personal suggestions. For example, if you like JayP's terrain for Summer, then load that in the Summer folder instead.

3. When you load a Terrain set through Manual Mode (or in Automatic Mode), the EAW folder is cleared of *.TER files first, before loading the applicable Terrain set. Therefore in Manual Mode for example, to Load Winter, just load Winter. You do not need to do Use EAW Default, then Load Winter.

And thank you to all who have supported me the last two/three weeks while I created this application.

Matt.

P.S. Made it back home on Sunday and my bags didn't! It turned up yesterday (Monday) after getting off loaded in LAX along with half of Business Classes luggage on that flight. Kind of makes a mockery of the Priority baggage tag doesn't it!

Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-20-1999 02:26 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
matttm,

Thanks again for all your hard work! Anything you need, other than your luggage, let us know! HEE HEE HEE!

Donster

matttm
Member # 662

posted 12-20-1999 02:30 PM     Profile for matttm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Donster,

Hee, hee, hee. Can I have that girl as a 'present' now! Find me a nice one...

Matt.

Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-20-1999 03:05 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
matttm,

What's your favorite flavor?

Donster

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-20-1999 06:35 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mattm,

Oops, and all along I thought the empty folder could be used for clearing also. Sorry didn't realize that each swap removed files and then replaced them. Damm I could have tested this sucker twice as fast!!!

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
matttm
Member # 662

posted 12-20-1999 07:51 PM     Profile for matttm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hee hee hee.

If you just want to delete all Terrain files from the EAW folder, then use Use EAW Default Terrain - that is all that option does - deletes all *.TER files from the EAW folder.

I thought it would be a good idea to clear all *.TER before loading the selected set. Gets rid of any left over terrain files that may look out of place.

Matt.

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-20-1999 07:55 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Roger that, Matt...

BTW, I notice that this product of yours is a great hit...Think I remember someone mumbling once to a Rat, "no one will use it",

WRONG!!!! Told you so!!! Merry Xmas!!!!

And Thanks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mane_raptor (edited 12-20-1999).]

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AxA
Member # 83

posted 12-20-1999 10:07 PM     Profile for AxA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, Matttm!
Just downloaded it and will check it out.
AxA

Posts: 380 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tannethal
Member # 666

posted 12-21-1999 05:52 AM     Profile for Tannethal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Help!!!!

anyone has a URL where I also can download it, from the original page it seems to take forever!

Posts: 537 | From: Olbernhau Germany | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 12-21-1999 07:41 AM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I tried it last night. Great job on building this add on. It's people like you who keep these sims going when the manufacturer moves on. Anyway, I loaded it, set up my add ons folder and it seemed to work but now I cannot run in "Single Mission" mode. The cursor locks up in a shadow mode and all I can do is "escape". I CAN run quick starts and campaigns though. I deleted the entire Stab program and I still have the lock up on "single missions"
Any Ideas?

Thanks

Posts: 121 | From: Syracuse, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 12-21-1999 08:37 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Tannethal, try the Utilities Section at Cord's EAW Page.

Cord's EAW Page

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
matttm
Member # 662

posted 12-21-1999 02:44 PM     Profile for matttm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Doc,

I cannot see how EAW Stab can interfere as I am non invasive. By deleting EAW Stab you also confirmed you still have the problem.

Do you have any other add-ons installed such as ECA Panel etc? I believe there may be a minor glitch with the latest version? Mane_raptor???

Matt.

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-21-1999 02:48 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Doc...

Wow, I tested this in both single mission and career, never came across the problem you see.

What are your system params, including video card? Did you follow the Read Me as far as folder set up goes.

If your still having problem after removing EAWStab. I would suspect something else?

But let me know and I will try to sort it out.

MattM, my mail server is on the fritz today, did you get my last email?

------------------

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-21-1999 03:02 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Doc,

Just went out and tried single mission. Started with JayP's terr, aborted, exited, reset to winter, restarted, invoked single mission, aborted, exited, switched to autumn, restarted, invoked single mission and aborted.

Each time proper terr was shown and had no "hang ups". I believe that the problem lies elsewhere.

Let me know what you have and how it is setup. If I can't help you, there are a few hundred(?) folks here that maybe able to.

------------------

Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 12-21-1999 03:04 PM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mane raptor...I run a Dell 7000 ATI Rage video, I have the 1.2 patch, ECA 1.4, ECA Panel 2.0, extra sounds, etc...everything worked great, the campaigns and quick missions work as well, but the single mission freezes up. The setup went normal with the Add Ons folder and the seasons folders. I copied the terrains in the seasons folders and the icon appears in the task bar as stated. The game launches and I can select the quick mission or the campaign, but when I select the single mission, the cursor blinks and the sound "Clicks" normally but the screen stays in the initial page. When I move the cursor after that, the cursor shadows stay on the screen and no other buttons work. I have to escape to go back to a regular main screen and then I can select the quick mission or campaign again....
Baffeling....

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-21-1999 03:13 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok,

I had the same problem with ECApanel 2.0!!!

Now here's the fix (according to the EAW Guru Gunst)...

"Look at the file PLANES.DAT in your EAW directory (the one with EAW.EXE in it) It should be exactly 6484 bytes long. Yours must have become corrupted somehow. Simply delete it and EAW will run fine.

Running ECAPANEL.EXE without the essential ECAPANEL.DAT file in the same directory could be the cause. Mkae sure that they are both in your EAW directory, and then run ECAPANEL.EXE. This will extract a new PLANES.DAT from ECAPANEL.DAT and fix the problem. Run "reset" in ECAPANEL just to be sure."

Give that a shot, it worked for me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mane_raptor (edited 12-21-1999).]

Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 12-21-1999 03:25 PM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just tried quick starts with all different terrains. Works fine, I manually selected a terrain and it was set up correctly in the mission. I tried the single mission again with the same unsuccessful results. I must have "confused" the program somewhere. When I deleted the EAW STAB, it still locked up. I'm afraid a reinstall of EAW is called for...
IF I remove EAW will all my extra goodies go to, like do I lose hte sound pack and ECA stuff?

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-21-1999 03:27 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Don't re-install, try Charle's fix first.

What you are seeing is exactly what I found. The fix, fixed it. Try it!!!!!!

------------------

Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 12-21-1999 03:54 PM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Deleted Planes.dat. Checked to see the location of ECAPANEL.DAT and .exe. Both in EAW Folder. Ran ECA Panel. Launch EAW and now the Weapons .dat file has incorrect size. Program crashes...

hmmm.

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-21-1999 04:46 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok you're close...I hope you save the zip file or folder it created, if not go get another copy.

When you do or if you have the files handy copy the weapons.dat and loadout.dat files from the ECApanel folder to the EAW folder.

If you copy just the weapons, the next one to go will be the loadout.

Let me know how it goes.

------------------

Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 12-21-1999 05:18 PM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mane Raptor, Thanks for the input. I save EVERY zip I load. I copied the files and that fixed the Weapon.dat size problem. I still have the issue with single missions though. In the mean time I did a defrag to check file structure and that worked OK.
IS there some way to check a single mission? I have the EAW Crack as well, maybe that's causing a problem. Also, After the finding the single mission problem, I loaded the EAW GUI Pack. I thought this may have an input as it modifies the single mission menus, BUT, the problem showed up PRIOR to installing GUI, and I have since removed GUI and it's still there...

What next?...

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-21-1999 05:25 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I did not test against EAW Crack or EAW GUI against EAWStab, so I can't speak to those.

The problem you describe is exactly like that I encountered testing EAWPANEL 2.1.

At this point it might be best to un-install EAW Crack, EAW GUI and ECAPANEL 2.0. Then re-install ECAPANEL 2.0 only. Check that. Then EAW Crack, check that, if ok, then do the same with GUI.

BTW I am not familar with these products, what do they do?

------------------

Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 12-21-1999 10:35 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Matttm: I have one word for you sir-YouDaMan!
The terrain loader is superb. I'm trying out terrains I was way too lazy to mess with. Outstanding!

Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
matttm
Member # 662

posted 12-21-1999 10:52 PM     Profile for matttm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gen Savage,

Many thanks!

Ok, version 1.1 is in the works.

Support for Mediterranean and Pacific Terrains (Manual Mode only) and Desktop Link creation.

Matt.

P.S. Donster, get another girl ready :-)

Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-21-1999 10:57 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
matttm,

Just keep em' comin'! Er,ah,ya know what I mean!

Donster

Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 12-22-1999 01:16 PM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Matt and Mane Raptor,
Thanks for all the help, I finally went for the un-install and re-install. Probably better anyway. I cleaned out lots of old versions, the Crack, the Gun editor, old ECA Updates....Anyway, re-installed and then added ECA 1.4 with 2.0 panel and the 1.2patch. All is Normal!!!I did add the GUI back. That's a change to the menu graphics, available on Cord Hartmans site, www.fortunecity.de/wolkenkratzer/vigurs/328/frames.html. It changes the menus to show an updated version...

Thanks for the help!

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-22-1999 02:16 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Doc,

Glad to see all is back to normal. Have you installed/used EAWStab yet?

PS Go, Matt, Go!!!

------------------

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.