Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Cliffs of Dover tile question.

Author Topic: Cliffs of Dover tile question.
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 12-20-1999 10:40 AM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My question is, are the cliffs of Dover modelled as a specific tile in EAW? I now use JayP's converted CFS tiles. Apparently, CFS models the cliffs, which is what I would expect. I assume though, that EAW uses a coast-generic tile and so cannot model the cliffs.

Some maintain that the cliffs were modelled in the original terrain tiles of EAW, but I can't remember this.

Can anyone shed some light? And if geo-specific, which tile is the 'cliffs' one?
I'm hoping I can leave that one tile out and get the cliffs back if they ever existed, that is!

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
RossC
Member # 1062

posted 12-20-1999 11:07 AM     Profile for RossC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm certainly not an expert, but, in CFS there is a lot more "definition" to the terrain, mountains, hills, valleys, etc (for better or worse). I think the EAW/CFS terrain is just the CFS colours overlaid on the existing EAW terrain (such as it is), so you'll notice that no matter where you cross the English coast, it's pretty much sea level. The Cliffs are what, 300 feet tall? I don't think it would be possible to represent them well in EAW with just a tile change. But that's pretty much a guess.

~Ross

Posts: 394 | From: Williams Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 12-20-1999 07:47 PM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, Gavin, no cliffs. One of the first campaigns I flew in EAW (before I had any add-ons) was a 1943 British Spitfire campaign. I flew many missions over the Dover-Pas de Calais region and never saw any cliffs at Dover. I even made it a point to look for them specifically but never found any. I remember thinking: "That's where they SHOULD be". In fact, that was one of the downsides to EAW when reviews compared it to CFS---the lack of identifiable famous European landmarks. I don't think EAW's graphics allow that. If you notice, all cities are basically built out of the exact same terrain and objects. The same is true for rivers and coastline. (but I'll still take EAW ANY day over CFS, though)
Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 12-21-1999 10:09 AM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
*Sign* that's what I thought.

You can't have it all, I guess.

Ah well.

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 12-21-1999 10:42 AM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Even that BoB-game from Rowan(Holy **** , that game sucked) had the cliffs of Dover

------------------
Der Opa

Posts: 710 | From: Sandnes, Rogaland, Norway | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.