Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Skin help: Voodoo 3 volunteer needed...

Author Topic: Skin help: Voodoo 3 volunteer needed...
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 12-17-1999 03:47 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Jamie Richards and I have tried with limited success to make transparent wings work on the P-47C for the Pacific skins of the Hellcat and Wildcat. I now have clipped wings working on a Voodoo 2 video board, but I don't know if it will work on a Voodoo 3 board. If you have a V3 video card, would you please download this skin and let me know if the wingtips are clipped as shown in this screenshot. This does NOT work on a TNT board.

Thanks,

Airbuddha's Homepage for EAW Skins

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 12-17-1999 04:19 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey James and Airbuddha: I just tested your clipped wing skin on my old 233mmx/64mbram/16mbV3-2000pci system. In D3D, the clipped wing does not work (you knew that), but in Glide, it worked quite well, along with the elevators. If you don't mind, using your technique, I'll be taking my P47N into the shop and clipping its wings...
Great job!, Major Lee.

[This message has been edited by MajorLee (edited 12-17-1999).]

Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 12-17-1999 04:41 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ahh, well that's interesting. Hmm, I wonder if using a Glide wrapper for my Ge Force TNT will work. I know Creative makes one, but I don't know if it'll work for my Guillemot Prophet.

I'll send the .pcx files to Jamie so that he can fix his F6F-3 Hellcat.

Thanks, Airbuddha

Hawk
Member # 1462

posted 12-17-1999 07:41 PM     Profile for Hawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
AirBuddha, I really love your work. You are a very talented person and I tried out the clip. It worked ok except for outside view in rotation. One wingtip would show black and flash in and out. Minor technical difficulity I'm sure.
System : PIII 500 & Voodoo3

Posts: 76 | From: Va. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 12-17-1999 10:12 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hawk,

Thank you. Could you tell me if you were running in D3D or Glide when you saw the flashing?

Airbuddha

Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 12-17-1999 11:12 PM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Airbuddha,

I tried out the skin on my computer, which has a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee card installed, and the wing-clipping didn't work in either D3D or Glide. My last hope is to mess around with the card's settings (mipmap dithering and anti-alias switches, 2 Mb texture memory switch, etc.), but that's not promising...looks like the Banshee can be scratched off the list just like TNT. Funny how I can blank out the extra machine guns and fill in cockpit windows, but I can't clip the wings, isn't it? Voodoo is a mysterious creature!

Tell me, the TRA file for the Hellcat, is it based on the TRA file I sent you or your own? Wait...just checked it! It's yours. Did you try out mine?

Jamie Richards

Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 12-17-1999 11:20 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Jamie,

I tried out both with the same result. I've seen several spitfires with clipped wings. I don't know what the problem is with the jugs. Unfortunately, the clipped wing spitfire author wouldn't include the .pcx files for the skin, so I don't know how it worked or if they want to share.

It's going to be somewhat of a headache to make 3 versions for every Pacific skin, TNT, Glide, and clipped wing Glide if we can't find a fixall solution.

Airbuddha

Hawk
Member # 1462

posted 12-18-1999 09:43 PM     Profile for Hawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
AirBuddha, I was in glide when I saw the flashing.
Posts: 76 | From: Va. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 12-19-1999 12:05 AM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Airbuddha,

One of the clipped-wing spits you're talking about is probably -E's. Go to his site and download his clipped-wing Spit16 -- the ZIP file includes all the PCX files.

Jamie

Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 12-19-1999 07:34 AM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
That's James Yoon's Spitfire. -E might have clipped the wings, but it's James Yoon's skin. Thanks for telling me about it. I'll check it out and see if it works.

Airbuddha

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.