Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Ohhh computer Guru I ask your advice....

Author Topic: Ohhh computer Guru I ask your advice....
Ziegfried
Member # 1243

posted 12-14-1999 05:52 PM     Profile for Ziegfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey, guys Ive been having this weird feeling every time I get set to fly a mission in EAW. I put all the cool skins in the dir, slap in some fine add-ons, start the sim, create the greatest mission I can think of, and click the go button............and wait. I wait a little longer then check the HD light...yep still blinking.....Ohh there it is... the cockpit. Were smokin now (not really!!) Bad guy in sight...Ohh-yes...hes really gonna get it this time.
Then were fightin in earnest, flak going off all around, planes zoomin everywhere, and then myself says to me...you know...your frame rate sucks!! Now the feelin is real bad!!

Do you think I could have the 133Mhz-my system is so old Im embarrassed blues?

I sure would appreciate some advice on what to look for when purchasing a new PC
for my favorite past time, shooting down bad guys with all the eye candy on! The 133 can handle the rest of the stuff I do on these wonderful inventions.

Much gratitudinal emotion is coming your way.

Zieg.

Posts: 97 | From: Tulsa, OK, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 12-14-1999 06:14 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It depends on what you want to spend. For a top line system, go for an Athlon 750 with 256 Mbs and a GeForce 256. For a bit of moderation, go for an Athlon 500 with 128 Mbs and a Voodoo 3, TNT2 Ultra or G400. For a budget system, go for a Celeron with 64 Mbs.
I am putting together a Athlon 500 system as a Christmas gift, here is what I paid:

$207.00 Athlon
$175.00 ASUS K7M
$170.00 128 Mb
$160.00 Matrox G400/32Mb Dual Head
$140.00 Creative DVD Kit
$125.00 IBM Deskstar 13.5 Gb HD
$99.00 Windows 98 SE
$85.00 300w Case
$23.50 PS2 Keyboard
$16.50 3.5" Floppy Drive
$19.95 PS2 Wheel Mouse
$19.95 3 axis Joystick
$40.00 Sound Blaster Live

Sisu

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ziegfried
Member # 1243

posted 12-14-1999 09:53 PM     Profile for Ziegfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Karnak I appreciate your comments and taking the time to respond!

One question about the AMD chip: Is it true that some software titles don't support the 3Dnow instructions? I heard something about that from a friend, but I admit I kinda got lost in all his technical speak.
This may not even be a valid question

I guess I'm just asking "is AMDs' Athlon a good chip, and does it have any limitations?"

Thanks again.
Zieg

JG5_Volt
Member # 343

posted 12-15-1999 07:05 AM     Profile for JG5_Volt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Zeigfreid

I have an Athlon 500 system with similar specs to Karnak, the only real difference being I opted for a TNT card, and it runs like a dream but I only play Flight Sims and not any other type of game. This is the 2nd system fitted with an AMD chip I have owned and I would heartily recommend them.

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 12-15-1999 04:07 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
AMD's 3DNOW! instruction set is akin to but better than intels MMX. They both do virturally the same thing. The K7 has the capability to do both very well,but with software that is optimized for 3DNOW! the AMD will preform better yet. You will not notice any real preformance hit running non 3DNOW! optimised software.

The AMD K7 Athlon processor has proven its self to beat Intel PIII processors Clock for Clock in FPU preformance, which just happens to be the thing a Flight Sim programs hits on the hardest as far as a processor is concerned. The only problem is finding a Motherboard for the Athlon. The spineless wimps of motherboard makers don't want to make intel mad so if they make a K7 board, they wont admit it nor suport it. (try finding anything about the Asus K7M board on their website.....)There are good Athlon boards out there, And I will be building a K7 based system as soon as I can find a good MB that supports the AGP4x and PC-133 RAM specs.

Intel makes a nice showing with the potential bandwidth in RDRAM PC-800 spec. Something that AMD can't match with SDRAM at any speed. RDRAM is 4- 10x expensive as DDRSDRAM PC-133 per MB. That basically means that you can get excellent power in a Athlon Computer at a relatively low price.

(no I don't work for AMD, but I do like the competition and the fact that Intel is in Second Place right now.. )

VonGunn

Posts: 377 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG26(P) von Vampr
Member # 1198

posted 12-16-1999 10:10 AM     Profile for JG26(P) von Vampr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Intel's in second place ?? Which one of the major computer companies is selling more Athlons than PIII's ? The reason motherboard manufacturers have not stepped up for the Athlon is that they know Intel is number one and don't want to stuck with boards for the athlons when they go under . I'll continue to buy Intel's stuff . It's reliable (unlike alot of AMD things of the past)and performs just as well as the Athlon's . This beat you by a volt here , a fps there isn't the only thing people consisder when they buy a computer . Who even knows if AMD will be around in two years ? I know Intel will be ! Just my humble opinion , but I'm getting a little weary of all this Intel bashing by a few AMD owners on this board .

von Vampr

------------------
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread

Karnak
Member # 139

posted 12-16-1999 03:11 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
JG26,
woah, back off there. I reccomended an Intel Celeron as the budget system. As far as reliability, AMD hasn't had any problems since the K5. If AMD went away 6 months from now and you had an Athlon, what would be the problem? Stuff isn't going to magicaly stop working on it. As for speed, the Athlon 500 has an FPU performance, no 3DNow or SSE, of a Pentium !!! 600. AMD has been around for more than 30 years, they're not going away in the next two years, after that, we'll see. The compitition between Intel and AMD is the reason we can buy our CPUs so cheap, reguardless of what your brand is. For my part, if the performance is even remotly close, I'll buy my CPUs from the company that is losing. If, by some miracle, AMD were to supplant Intel, I would start buying Intel chips. Competition is a good thing. What was meant by "AMD is ahead of Intel" was that AMD has the better CPU, which for the time being is true.
As to the "all you guys care about is a volt here and an FPS there" argument. You've got to be kidding. I've got that line of drivel about how their CPU would give them a few more FPS from Intel fanatics for years because I liked supporting the competition, but now that the shoe is on the other foot suddenly FPS doesn't count anymore. HA.
I know that those people weren't you or vice versa, but the argument you gave is the opposite of what I've gotten for years from Intel only people.
I do work in this industry and I know enough to be sure that if you want the best chip now, as of 12-16-1999, you will buy an Athlon, if you want the most bang to buck, you will buy a Celeron. Stuff changes.

Peace

Sisu

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 12-16-1999).]

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ziegfried
Member # 1243

posted 12-16-1999 07:00 PM     Profile for Ziegfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
What do you know about over-clocking?
Good OR Bad
Whos' can be and Whos' can't?

Zieg!

JG26(P) von Vampr
Member # 1198

posted 12-17-1999 06:33 AM     Profile for JG26(P) von Vampr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Karnak ,

Whoahh ,YOU back off there !! Who rattled your cage ? I guess the fact that I replyed directly under von Gunns post and asked questions pertaining to the text in it got by you . I was not looking to flame Herr von Gunn or belittle the strides AMD has made recently . I simply wanted to offer a different perspective to the original post(Ziegfried , looking for a replacement computer), something from the Intel owners point of view . My current computer is the third Intel I have owned , never having any problems with any one of them . My PIII600 with 384 mb's of ram will rock the house with the best of them . No slow frame rates here! I do agree that the competition between Intel and AMD is great for us consumers . You can get some great prices on PIII's right now because of it . Just wanted him to know that the PIII's are the most bought , proven chip out there and not to dismiss it as a has been because Amd has a decent chip . As for the "drivel" you speak of , you denounce it in one breath , and then use it in the next . You also call Intel owners fanatics , I wonder where that leaves you ? Just because someone has a opinion different than yours doesn't make them fanatical . Only if they went from post to post spewing the accolades of their chosen brand , no longer objective or open to opposing views , would they be "fanatics" in my mind . AMD may have a slight edge in fps , making them #1 in the hot rod department , but certainly not in the bottom line: Sales! If you are "in the business" then you know this is true . I think AMD as finally developed to the point where they are taken seriously by Intel , but whether John Q. Public does is to be seen . You may know very well all there is to know about AMD , but the "average joe" probably has never heard of them ."Peace" back at ya

von Vampr

------------------

[This message has been edited by JG26(P) von Vampr (edited 12-17-1999).]

Karnak
Member # 139

posted 12-17-1999 09:30 AM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Heh. I called some Intel owners that I have had conversations with in the past "fanatics". I have owned Intel chips as well, and have nothing against them. Its just that at this time, to get the best system, an AMD Athlon is the way to go. This time next year, it'll probably be best to go with a Intel Pentium IV. The reason that the Pentium !!! and Celeron sell so well isn't that they are that much better (they're not) or that much more reliable (they're not) its that Intel has 25 Billion dollars in sales and upteen fab plants while AMD has 2.5 Billion dollars in sales and 2, soon to be 3 fab plants.
The statement of yours that I most took issue with was about not knowing if AMD is geven going to be around in 2 years. Obviously I can't answer that question (having recently misplaced my crystal ball), but it doesn't matter if they are or are not. If they are, their chips will still work, and if they're not, their chips will still work. I certainly hope that they do not go away, or if they do there is someone else competing with Intel by that point.
I just found it funny that an Intel advocate was saying that FPS wasn't everthing (I agree with you on that, I like the Matrox G400 because it puts out a prettier picture but loses 5 to 10 FPS to the TNT2 Ultra) when before I've had Intel advocates keep repeating that FPS were everything.

Sisu

Karnak
Member # 139

posted 12-17-1999 09:36 AM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ziegfried,
I wouldn't worry about overclocking if you get an Athlon or Pentium !!!. You could play around with the Celeron a bit if you go in that direction. I have generaly found that overclocking doesn't produce enough of a gain to warrant losing the manufacturer's warrantee. I have heard that the Athlon 500 can be overclocked quite well, but that you need to know what you're doing. The Celeron can be easily overclocked by increasing the bus speed from 66 Mhz to 100 Mhz. If the computer doesn't boot after changing the setting, turn it off quickly and set it back to its intended setting. You could fry the CPU trying this.

Sisu

JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 12-17-1999 09:37 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Look guys, it could be worse - we could be stuck with just Cyrix processors. AAIIEEEE!!!

Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG26(P) von Vampr
Member # 1198

posted 12-17-1999 10:35 AM     Profile for JG26(P) von Vampr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Karnak ,
I have to agree with you about the f.p.s. issue . To be honest with you I have heard Intel owners in the past (on other forums) throw f.p.s. in the face of non-Intel computer owners . I never subscibed to this and you never accused me directly , so I recant . This issue of f.p.s. has come up in an armor sim that I enjoy called Panzer Elite . While I do have a Dia. Viper 770 TNT2 Ultra which yeilds very high rates in most sims , I never see much over 20 f.p.s. in P.E. when the battles on . But the game still kicks *** . The slow frame rates seem to make little difference in this sim . Panzer Commander I can get 50 f.p.s. and it doesn't even come close to P.E. at 20 f.p.s. .

JG5_Jerry ,
You ain't kiddin' ma' man !! LOL

von Vampr

------------------

Karnak
Member # 139

posted 12-17-1999 10:40 AM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, but Cyrix went away. At least everthing runs on Intel and AMD chips. I remember the problems my friends who bought Cyrix chips had getting games to work on them.

Sisu

Der Fremd Fokker
Member # 806

posted 12-17-1999 10:47 AM     Profile for Der Fremd Fokker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Ziegfried,

IMHO der best place to learn about what's available is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/ Lots of info about CPUs, Motherboards, 3D cards, und overclocking.

Ich bin always overclocking mein computenmaschinen. Mein current system ist ein Celeron 300A @ 450Mhz. It's been running perfectly for 12 months in der hot Australian climate. Runs EAW at max settings, without a hiccup.

Mein advice: if you buy top of der range (aka. der bleeding edge), you'll cry every couple of weeks afterwards as der price drops faster than Errol Flynn's lederhosen.

Remember, anything you can buy now will seem like der Starship Enterprise compared to your old 133Mhz.

Posts: 107 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ziegfried
Member # 1243

posted 12-18-1999 07:50 AM     Profile for Ziegfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Der Fremd Fokker.... Ahhh the constellation class! Go anywhere Do anything!
LOL...thanks for the levity, it was getting hot

Zieg

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.