Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Help: No videos/music and CD goes wild!

Author Topic: Help: No videos/music and CD goes wild!
kbedford
Member # 1451

posted 12-17-1999 01:48 AM     Profile for kbedford   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi,
I've just started playing EAW 1.2 (a defector from CFS!) and in the few minutes of actual flying I've had its seems great.
But I have a severe problem with videos - at the start of a flight or when selecting newsreels the screen goes blank, the same few seconds of 'music' are repeated and the CD drive goes crazy for 20 seconds or so.
I did a custom install & left the movies on CD, which I suspect is the problem - but surely Microprose would have reported/fixed it if it was that simple?
I've checked the MPS Tech Support site & searched this forum (elfranko had a similar problem but I could find a post resolving it)
So - has anyone had this problem & fixed it?
Can I just copy files off the CD to experiment or must I reinstall?
Can I suppress the videos somehow?
(I've checked the .ini file & couldn't find a 'nomovies' setting!)
-
Once flying everything is fine except for a few seconds pause before every radio message, again can I copy files off the CD to avoid this? (Or is it better to get Meatwaters sound files that I've seen referred to?)
-
I would experiment more before asking for help, except that I'm not sure the CD drive will survive much longer!!!!
And my games machine is at home, I'm at work & wont be online again till Monday.
-
System: Celeron 333, Voodoo1, 64MB, 24speed CD, 1024x768 desktop (I've just read this can cause problems too?)
-
Cheers,
Keith

Posts: 71 | From: Hemel Hempstead,UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
jerrykraut
Member # 1430

posted 12-17-1999 02:00 AM     Profile for jerrykraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hy kbedford,
have had nerly same problems few month ago.
Gone away by using a faster 16MB AGP, a 40xCD and 128MB RAM. Cuting down all unneeded treads in the background.
Framerates and everything else will slow down in case manny planes are in the air and more and more became smoking wracks. Processor and card will have to do and render than a lot, sometimes (changing sights)my sytem (AMD K6 II at 100mhz FSB) stopped all work. Only coldboot will help then.

Posts: 95 | From: Niedersachsen, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tannethal
Member # 666

posted 12-17-1999 03:18 AM     Profile for Tannethal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Had similar problems, though it's somehow connected with the CD or the CD-Drive.
Sometimes have problems with regarding the CD, EAW mutters that it's not in the drive, although it's there.
Did a complete install that solved the problem. Now everything goes smooth.

Posts: 537 | From: Olbernhau Germany | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.