Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » How about 3D sounds in EAW

Author Topic: How about 3D sounds in EAW
Joppe Karhunen
Member # 1194

posted 12-08-1999 06:55 AM     Profile for Joppe Karhunen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi you all EAWers again!

MeatWater has made excellent sound add-on to EAW and Migge has made great German ground speech pac (not to mention other sound add-ons also from other enthuastics). I know some of you must have proper 3D sound set-ups while running EAW so could you answer how does the game feel with your system?

I currently use headphones and its great (my wife thinks that too), but will move my PC to new room. I could set up 4-5 speaker system in there but is it worthwhile???

Thx - meet you up in the skies!

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-08-1999 05:04 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I can answer somewhat the question as to if 4-5 speakers are worth it...YES!!!

I have two sets of Labtec speakers and use a stereo headphone splitter out of my sound card to have one pair for the right and one for the left. The effect of a plane passing close by is quite pronounced moving from right to left or left to right.

However due to my fondness for LOUD sounds (and too much time listening to rock and roll as a youngster), I have blown these speakers all to H*&l. I'm looking for a rig that will do better and would like to find a 100-300 amp subwoofer to put under my chair so that I can FEEL the flak. As for my wife, she feels that if she has to wear hearing protection when I play, it's better than having me pop around to the nearest beerhall for a pint and a rabble-rousing speach each night.

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bob
Member # 1231

posted 12-08-1999 05:33 PM     Profile for Bob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I enjoy my external speakers. I have a Boston Acoustics Media Theater (2 satellites + large sub-woofer) for the front left & right channels.

I have a Boston Acoustics MicroMedia system for the rear left & right channels. The MicroMedia rear channel sub-woofer is mounted under the seat (in a wood enclosed base)of my cockpit chair.

The front and rear subwoofers let you feel the flak, as well as the deep rumble of the engines. I have been thinking about mounting a tranducer on the wooden seat frame as well.

I use the SB Live Value card.

Bob

Posts: 95 | From: Mesa, Arizona, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-08-1999 06:32 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried EAW in Dolby Surround?
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Joppe Karhunen
Member # 1194

posted 12-09-1999 01:04 AM     Profile for Joppe Karhunen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks mane_raptor and Bob for comments =-)

Have to invest to new sound card (currently SB16!!!) & speakers with subwoofer to get the feeling to even more real!
Just got awhile ago MS SW Force Feedback and that really put new life to the game, its fantastic to make a loop with Bf109E feeling the shuttering of the plane when speed decreases (and knowing the Hurri at six can not follow!) so I think the sound will be just as good boost as FF.

______

Joppe K. - See ya up there!

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.