Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » The ME-262, BOC, what do they have in common?

Author Topic: The ME-262, BOC, what do they have in common?
Slickster
Member # 384

posted 12-07-1999 10:36 AM     Profile for Slickster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Blue Oyster Cult, a 70-80's rock and roll band did a song called "ME-262" on their "Secret Treaties" album. A gorgeous pencil drawing of the Schwalbe on the cover. If you feel like it, navigate over to: http://www.geocities.com/~tyranny1/Secret.txt
and find ME-262 for the lyrics. The song itself goes about 590 MPH with a Chuck Berry standard R&R beat, in 4/4 time.
A sample....
ME-262 prince of Turbojet, a Junkers Jumo 004
Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn
Now you be my witness how red were the skies
When the Fortresses flew for the very last time
It was dark over Westphalia in April of 45.

Arrgh. I'm playing air guitar as I hum it in my head. I know, I know. Too much heavy metal as a kid. Only song I know ever written about a warplane without the usual Hippie/leftist, commie, disarm-the-western-democracies-first, whining about peace love dove etc. You know, bombers turning into butterflies above the nation, and other wimpy harmony stuff. Nothing on this song but evil sounding guitar riffs and growling. The ending chorus has a radio call "Bombers at Twelve O'clock High" in the background as sirens go off.
Oh well. Sorry guys, as I digress. My age showing pretty bad, huh?

------------------
Rick "Slick" Land

Posts: 551 | From: Fayetteville, AR, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 12-07-1999 03:30 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have all of BOC's stuff on vinyl..... "and when it's faded and forgotten in some book, you'll sometimes look.... you'll sometimes look...."
Major Lee

Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-07-1999 07:08 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
You guys probably aren't going to believe this, but I saw BOC in 1973(uhh...I think...might have been 74 but don't think so )in concert with REO Speedwagon at the Big Burley Mart( huge metal building used for tobacco sales) in Paducah, Ky. REO played a brand new song-Riding the Storm Out-and Blue Oyster Cult closed the show! It was really far-out man! It was one of those small-time concert promotions just before both bands really hit the big time. I think it was the first and last concert at the Big Burley Mart. Biiiigg Party!!

[This message has been edited by Tailspin (edited 12-07-1999).]

Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 12-08-1999 01:28 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have 'Secret Treaties' on vinyl too - it was the first album I ever bought, way back in 1981! I saw them play in 1985 (supported by Girlschool). I've always loved the artwork on that cover - most of the songs aren't too bad either (he says, being an ex-headbanger...
Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 12-08-1999 07:57 AM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hahaha... my dad showed me an old pin he had from the 60's or 70's; it looked like a peace sign when you were far away but from up close it was really a B-52 viewed from above . I can't remember the caption, though... but pretty funny nonetheless .

------------------
-KMHPaladin
- "The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his
area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy
fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish."
Baron Manfred von Richthofen, 1917
- [email protected]

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slickster
Member # 384

posted 12-08-1999 10:32 AM     Profile for Slickster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Major Lee, Tailspin, JG 5, you Gentlemen have also dated yourselves (harrumph).
I saw BOC in Little Rock in 1978. Best concert I ever saw, and I saw a few. Buck Dharma, well, I've said it before. The ending, where all 5 got out guitars, got into a line, and pinned us to the seats with power chords, blew me away. When "The Guess Who" came on, I left. So lame.
Today I am forced to make do with Green Day, Korn, or an over the hill AC/DC. <Sigh>.

------------------
Rick "Slick" Land

Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-08-1999 11:17 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ah those were the days! I remember a story my brother told me.It was during the Viet Nam War. He was in the Iowa National Guard at the time, right after the Kent State Shootings. The Armory for his outfit is in Iowa City, Iowa, which also has the Univerity of Iowa located there. There were some anti- war riots on campus, as there were all across the US. For those who are from other countries or are to young to remember, The Ohio National Guard opened fire with live rounds on a large group of anti-war protesters and killed 4 of them. Bad situation. Anyway, my brothers outfit are drilling outside the Armory, when about 40 or so students from the U. of I. show up, sit down in front of them and start yelling at them. Like peace now, calling them baby killers etc. Well this one guy holds up his 2 fingers in the familier "peace" symbol and says Peace Man to My Brother and a few of his buddies. His friend Chris then holds up his hand with 4 fingers displayed, and yells Four! The student says " whats that mean, man"? And Chris says thats easy,"National Guard 4, Kent State 0! The guys just start laughing there *** off and the protesters up and leave! My brother said it was the craziest thing he had ever seen!

When he was in Boot camp, at Fort Ord, California, the Camp commander allowed the group "Canned Heat" to have a concert there.
During the concert, a bunch of Civvies started to riot, breaking windows, throwing out typewriters from the camp offices, etc.
so they had to have the guys get there M-16's and helmets and round up the rioters and throw them off the base. Of course they just had to beat the hell out of a few of em', but you just sometimes got to take the Bull by the Horn and take control!

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 12-08-1999 01:50 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The lesson of Kent State is an easy one, for anyone with a functiong brain: Don't throw rocks at guys with M-16's....
Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-08-1999 02:04 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My sentiments exactly, Major Lee! You raise your hand to me, expect it back 10 fold!

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ButcherBird13
Member # 270

posted 12-08-1999 03:02 PM     Profile for ButcherBird13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
B.O.C

now that brings back memories.
I still have the concert stubs and shirt!
BTW guys they were notorious for comming here to CONN. go to a SMALL local club and use the name "Soft White Underbelly"
For us "in the know " we got to see them in a growd of less than 400 and thats when Dont FEAR the REAPER was toping the charts !!!

Posts: 292 | From: Holland Western Front | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slickster
Member # 384

posted 12-09-1999 10:23 AM     Profile for Slickster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ahhh yes. Soft White Underbelly. That was their original name. Then they became Stalk Forest, then BOC. They did an album as SWU, but I think it was never released. I'd pay big bucks to hear that raw, killer sound. <sigh>.

------------------
Rick "Slick" Land

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.