Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » EAW latency in the zone?

Author Topic: EAW latency in the zone?
Greenhorn
Member # 1269

posted 12-07-1999 09:35 AM     Profile for Greenhorn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I've seen latency mentioned a number of times when refering to playing EAW through the MS Game Zone service.

Please help me understand what MS Gaming Zone has to do with latency in playing EAW. I was under the impression that MSGZ simply facilitates the connection between cooperating online players. Once the connection is established, it's a direct link between the players. MSGZ is no longer involved.

Maybe someone can set me straight on this.

Posts: 21 | From: Central NY, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG26Jabo
Member # 160

posted 12-07-1999 09:53 AM     Profile for JG26Jabo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Zone connects you to the server EAW,CFS,etc. like Kali does. Your ping is to the server and when you launch a game the Zone still runs in the back ground. The only way to get comp to comp is through IP address.
Posts: 141 | From: Greers Ferry, Ar. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Greenhorn
Member # 1269

posted 12-07-1999 12:59 PM     Profile for Greenhorn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
So MSGZ acts as a relay? i.e. It handles each packet that is transmitted between players?

If that is the case I can understand the latency, and consequently what I can't understand is why anyone would use MSGZ (or Kali or any of the other similar services for that matter). What's the advantage?

Why not just meet up with someone(IRC, one of the instant messenger services, etc.), trade IP addresses and go that way? Remove the middle man.

LLv34_Snefens
Member # 72

posted 12-07-1999 01:01 PM     Profile for LLv34_Snefens   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Zone will display your latency relative to other players in the room, but ever since the new Zone was introduced there has been some problems with the displaying.

It often occurs that you see no latency displayed for a certain person, but that doesn't mean you can't have a lag free game with him.
Often he is able to see the latency to you from his point of view.
Other problems is that Zone can give a very wrong latency sometime. Either it is not updating or it is simply showing a wrong value (A pilot in my squad got that problem. He often shows red to all, but have no problems in game - he got cable)

I don't think MSGZ is completely cut off after hookup. Thats why I think direct IP should be better than Zone than is IP + a program running in background.

Unfortunately it is hard to find players without zone

------------------
LLv34 Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34

Posts: 329 | From: Aarhus, Denmark | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Greenhorn
Member # 1269

posted 12-07-1999 01:03 PM     Profile for Greenhorn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Maybe I misunderstood. Doesn't one of the players' machine act as the host "server" for online play? You mentioned something about an EAW "server". Is this an independant entity, apart from the online players' machines?

I just want to be clear on the concepts here.

Greenhorn
Member # 1269

posted 12-07-1999 01:07 PM     Profile for Greenhorn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Messages got a little out of sync there but I got the idea.

I guess I understand the difficulty in locating players.

Thanks.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.