Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Terrain

Author Topic: Terrain
Stick_99th
Member # 1172

posted 12-03-1999 03:45 PM     Profile for Stick_99th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
How do you get the CFS, I donwloaded it.Now what do I do with it?
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 12-03-1999 03:47 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Stick,

Stick (no pun intended) the .ter files in your eaw directory (has eaw.exe) and be prepared to spend the night re-adjusting your display settings.

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-03-1999 05:34 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Stick; Just unzip it directly to your main EAW folder. c:\Program Files\MicroProse Software\European Air War

That's it. You're done. Go play the sim.

If you ever want to change the terrain, just delete all the .ter files in the EAW folder and unzip another the same way.

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 12-03-1999 08:26 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I just downloaded the CFS terrain, unzipped it into EAW, and this sim is..GORGEOUS!!
Guess it's finally time to un-install CFS...

Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-03-1999 09:33 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
There seems to be two recommended methods of installing CFS terrain. Just the .ter files or unzip the whole thing into EAW. Does one method have any advantage over the other? Is one necessarily better than the other?
Thanks

Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 12-03-1999 09:38 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I didn't find any .ter file in EAW, so I just unzipped into EAW, and voila!
Bob
Member # 1231

posted 12-03-1999 10:19 PM     Profile for Bob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I am in the process of downloading Jay's CFS terrain files for EAW. When I install these files will I get the blocking-looking CFS clouds, or, the realistic-looking EAW clouds?

Bob

Posts: 95 | From: Mesa, Arizona, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 12-03-1999 10:28 PM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The terrain modification affects only... the terrain! The clouds seem to be handled in 3D rather than by textures.

Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-03-1999 10:37 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
JayP...Which method of installing CFS terrain is better? (see my above post)
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 12-03-1999 10:45 PM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Tailspin, what I do is unzip all of my downloads into an EAW DL folder on my desktop. Put them into subfolders for skins, addons, utilities, terrain, etc. That way I can drag and drop them into my EAW directory which is on a different HD than Windows so they don't disappear from the dowloads folder when I do it. That also helps when you want to tinker with things. Just delete from the EAW folder and move new items in. Saves on unzipping files everytime you change them. Just how I do it, but it works for me.

------------------
Schattenjäger

"Der Horrido...Der Horrido..."

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-03-1999 10:55 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi ya Schatten...I usually unzip my d'ls into a file (Unzipped-appropriately titled ) I also save my downloads in the Downloads folder. That way I have a Zipped and Unzipped copy of all my downloads. What I was really wondering was if there was any difference in unzipping the CFS file directly into EAW or Unzipping first then moving just the .ter files into EAW?
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-03-1999 11:04 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Never mind! I just looked at the unzipped CFS files and they're all .ter files. Duh!
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 12-03-1999 11:15 PM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Guten...Morgen I guess it is now Herr Tailspin. I always make sure I have things right where even I can't lose them, hence the EAW DL folder. I got out of the habbit of just unzipping becuase then I forgot what I added and whatnot. It's gotten to the point that I even put the dates on all of the downloads so I get (slightly) less confused. My EAW DL folder actually has more megs of stuff in it than the EAW directory most of the time.

Also Herr MattM sent me a terrain swapping file that is pretty nifty. Also seems that after he is done with his holiday things he is going to work to make an interface to do it more nicely. That is what I think he said, that and something about trying to automate it for dates. I hope he manages to pull it off. The more utilities we have the easier it is to get all of the good new things in the right place at the time you want them there.

------------------
Schattenjäger

Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-03-1999 11:49 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ja, und guten morgan to you Sir. I really ain't too swooft when it comes to swapping files and things. Anything that makes it easier I'm all for! I'm always following the developments here at the forum. How about the new ECAPanel 2.0? It could takes days to check out all the new flight models. I took the Zeke for a spin a couple of times. Turns tight and you can pull a loop easily. Its also easier to rip off a wing during extreme manouvers. He,he! Some of the "purists" might not like not having the correct plane shapes, but hey...Its not too much of a stretch for some models to morph into other aircraft. This sim just keeps getting better all the time.

Well, think I'm off to bed in a while. See ya later!

Schatten
Member # 93

posted 12-04-1999 12:00 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ja, I'm like that too, anything that can make the addons more idiotproof (me being said idiot) I think is a Good Thing!

I've been spending some time with the La-7, and I have to say I like it. I like it a lot. I also think that while the 3D objects would be nice to modify that I can live with the shapes the way they are for now. Still hoping for a release of that 3D code...Especially since the skinners have given us some nice ones that do as good a job as possible at simulating the plane that it's supposed to be. I mean if I didn't throw popcorn at the screen the first time I saw F-5's as "MiG-29's" in Top Gun painted in God only knows what sort of paint scheme then I think I can live with a Tempest that looks like a La. S! all the skinners out there for making it more believable.

------------------
Schattenjäger

JayP
Member # 858

posted 12-04-1999 08:05 AM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Tailspin,

I didn't reply to your query as I didn't know what you meant Your only real choice in installing terrain is whether or not you want to generate your own TER files from the PCX files.

With respect to the lack of new shapes, I think we're just going to have to learn to live with what we have, until MPS sees fit to release PAW II.

With respect to Top Gun, it's been while, but I recall the F-5 standing in for that well known Soviet aircraft, the MiG-28.

Majesty5
Member # 572

posted 12-04-1999 08:27 AM     Profile for Majesty5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Throwing a little aviation gasoline onto the proverbial fire, I say... "no, no, no, the F-5 was supposed to be the MiG Twenty-SEVEN in Top Gun!"

I remember this because in my nine-year-old wisdom, the first time I saw Top Gun I thought, "why didn't they just use F-111's for the MiG-27? It would have looked a lot more accurate..."

Posts: 789 | From: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
LLv34_Snefens
Member # 72

posted 12-04-1999 08:38 AM     Profile for LLv34_Snefens   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
They say MIG-28! in Top-Gun. Almost completely sure. I had a laugh at that too when it is clearly F-5's

------------------
LLv34 Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34

Posts: 329 | From: Aarhus, Denmark | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-04-1999 08:47 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The only movie worse was "HOTSHOTS"! What the hell were those planes supposed to be?
Looked like something you could buy at a garage sale! Movie was funny though.

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bob
Member # 1231

posted 12-04-1999 04:17 PM     Profile for Bob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just installed the CFS terrain to EAW. Looks great, but it looks like we still have the EAW trees when we get down low.

Anyone else noticed this?

Bob

Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 12-04-1999 06:24 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Bob: The trees are there on purpose. Also the buildings, villages, etc. The CFS terrain, while gorgeous from on high looks awful from up close, and has no details like trees, etc. So Jayster thoughtfully gave us the best of both terrain worlds!
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 12-04-1999 07:31 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The trees and buildings are 3D objects and are seperate from the terrain files. The 3D code is still locked. You're right, the CFS terain really looks crappy down low. Worse than the EAW original. Does anyone have a site for the darker EAW Terrain? Please?
Bob
Member # 1231

posted 12-04-1999 07:35 PM     Profile for Bob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gen. Savage:

You're right. I have been doing some low-level road recon work and we still get the EAW convoys and trains, trees, buildings, etc.

This really gives EAW a new dimension for me. We now have good-looking ground and sky.

If we could only get the crisp CFS cockpit graphics into EAW. I would also like some landing/runway lights for these night landings.

By the way, I also downloaded Pasha's new engine sounds. He has actual in-cockpit stereo recordings from a P-51 and P-47. They really have a sweet purr.

Bob

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-04-1999 07:36 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It's here at the combatsim downloads site. Just click on downloads\custom missions\EAW stuff and then I think the paint stuff.
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-04-1999 07:43 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Bob; you can get miggie's cockpit for the 190A and the 262 at his site. http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/4145/
Also check the links there and at the Ace Paint Shop you can get good cockpits for the 109g, 109k and 110g and if you go to the Red Skulls 666 site, you can download all of the allied instrument and german instrument guages. This makes the guages readable in all the aircraft. If you download the cockpits mentioned above and then the guages, it might overwrite the first ones. I don't remember. I just downloaded all the allied guages cause the german cockpits mentioned above looked so good. I use the hud and feel method anyway. Hope this helps.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.