Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Importing Aircraft

Author Topic: Importing Aircraft
WOLF257
Member # 410

posted 12-03-1999 12:11 AM     Profile for WOLF257   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok...before I ask this question,I've taken the percaution of putting on my asbestos longjohns and my bullet proof Kevlar jockstrap.Since the scenery from CFS can be imported into EAW,is there any way to import the Aircraft textures from CSF?I'm not talking about the stock Aircraft but some of the really nicely done add-on planes that can be found at www.flightsim.com. I know nothing on the subject or I wouldn't ask this.Ok...you may now commence firing.
WOLF

[This message has been edited by WOLF257 (edited 12-03-1999).]

Posts: 281 | From: Alabama,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 12-03-1999 12:35 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Wolf257,

Put away the flammenwerfer protection alles güt. The MSCFS terrain files were done in a normal .pcx file format which made them easy to convert to EAW with PicPac, which changes .pcs into .tpc which is the format that EAW uses for skins and terrain. That's how that was done.

As far as importing the CFS aircraft, I doubt that the 3D models used are in compatable formats. EAW's 3D object code is locked up tighter than a nun's...well you get the idea. Unless there were a 3D converter like PicPac that would take 3D object data in whatever format CFS uses and convert it into the format that EAW uses, which nobody here knows then it wouldn't work. But it'd be a nice thing if it could.

Flight model data is known for EAW which is why the ECA *.* panels can give us, well with 2.0 it's somewhere over 150 distinct loadouts and flight models, but the 3D onject of the plane stays in one of the 30 stock EAW ones. MiG-3's are shown as Hurricanes, Hellcats as Thunderbolts, etc. Throw a skin painted in the proper colors and insignia and make high speed passes and you really can visualize you're fighting a La-7, I know I did until I got too close, but the actual 3D models under the skin can't be changed at this point.

Hope that made some sort of sense.

------------------
Schattenjäger

"Der Horrido...Der Horrido..."

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 12-03-1999 03:57 AM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As Herr Schatten notes, the CFS to EAW terrain import was made easy by the fact that the terrain graphics of these two games are in virtually the same format. The aircraft textures of CFS are just regular bitmaps too, but the problem with importing them is that they are a lot larger, and hence more detailed, than the EAW ones. To import them whole you'd have to shrink them first, which makes them look awful. If there's a particular CFS texture you like, you can import part of it and use it as the base for an EAW paint job.
WOLF257
Member # 410

posted 12-03-1999 10:40 AM     Profile for WOLF257   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks Guys,
I don't know how to make skins for EAW but I do understand what your telling me.It is a shame that MP won't turn loose of the coding because I really don't see them using it again.I'd really like to see some of the CFS A/C textures in EAW,some of the planes those guys have done for CFS are truly impressive.Two come to mind,one is a F4U4 and the other is the P-51D Big Beautiful Doll
Thanks for the explainations though.
WOLF

Posts: 281 | From: Alabama,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 12-03-1999 11:09 AM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
One of the things I really liked about CFS was the scenery. I would rather not go to the trouble to make it work in EAW because a.)It's too much trouble and b.)It might slow EAW down.
What I do want to do is use that darker EAW scenery posted on the downloads page. Has anybody used it? Anything I need to know about installing and running it?

Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
smokin
Member # 632

posted 12-03-1999 12:07 PM     Profile for smokin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
what about this JP? Since you successfully ported CFS terrain over to EAW; what about the (is there any?) supposed pacific theater add-ons for that particular game? Could anyone buy the the CFS PTO add-on and then port the PTO terrain over to EAW?
Posts: 440 | From: U.S. of A. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-03-1999 01:35 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gen Savage; I've download the cfs terrain and didn't notice any slowdown in performance. Just unzip it directly into your eaw folder. When you open the folder, you'll see about 60 some odd .ter files. That's them. When you want to change terrains, just delete the .ter files in the folder and unzip the new terrain the same way. Mattm is working on a way to auto change the terrain so it's not so painful.

Now, I've got EAW installed twice so I got an EAW and a EAW2 with two icons on my desktop. The one has the autumn terrain which I like and the other has the CFS terrain which is fabulous. Each has it's own unique skins for each individual aircraft.

I've tried the darker richer terrain on the CFS downloads site. I thought it looked good, but preferred the autumn terrain so I switched back. I like to fly in the dawn and dusk and found the darker terrain to be a bit to dark for those times of day making it really hard to spot the bandits and ground targets. It's pretty though and sure beats the default terrain. I've also created new folders for housekeeping purposes for my skins and terrains and put the unzipped downloaded stuff in these folders. If you don't keep things organized, it can get confusing in a hurry.

Best way I've found for skins is to download and then unzip into unzipped folder and then drag tpc files to desktop and close windows and then drag the tpc files from desktop to main eaw folder. Found this to be least confusing way of doing it. Terrain files are just to big for this so I unzip them directly into eaw folder and it's done.

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 12-03-1999 01:57 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
When I said the CFS terrain was difficult to import, I was reading the suggestion of someone who said you have to draw new highways and rivers and stuff to make it work. If it plugs right in, I'd say using it is a no-brainer, and I'll try it this weekend. I think I might also install EAW twice, because apparently everytime you use a new skin it overwrites and deletes the old ones. I haven't un-installed CFS yet, but if I can use the CFS scenery in EAW, I guess the time has come!
Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 12-03-1999 03:07 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
No need to install it twice. just move out the existing *.ter files out of the EAW folder.
Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 12-03-1999 03:07 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OOOPs double post...

[This message has been edited by Stanley99 (edited 12-03-1999).]

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Majesty5
Member # 572

posted 12-04-1999 02:59 PM     Profile for Majesty5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I actually felt like I got a bit of a slowdown when I used CFS terrain. I like the darker version of the standard terrain...

I remember when EAW and those OTHER WW2 game wannabes came out, they had a comment from an actual air combat vet who said that EAW communicated the "big sky feeling". When I switched out the terrain to the CFS stuff, I felt like it lost some of that feeling, actually. The houses and 3D objects helped, but the CFS ground tiles looked like they were twice the size of what they should be for some reason. When I go to fix up EAW and my drivers tomorrow, I'm keeping the darker terrain.

Posts: 789 | From: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.