Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Best way to buy...Help from Yanks and Canuks please?

Author Topic: Best way to buy...Help from Yanks and Canuks please?
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 12-01-1999 11:33 PM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok as you may all have worked out now I live in a little hell-hole called South Africa.
We're not very big on selling computer equipment at reasonable prices here.

For e.g. the Retail price of a Creative Annihilator 32mb APG (GEFORCE) is R3000 or at current rates= $490
A CL Blaster TnT2 Ultra is R2500 or $410
I think you have it cheaper eh?

Now...my father is coming to the USA and Canada in business in Feb 2000. A mere 3months from now.
I want him to buy me a whole ton of computer stuff. (Like a 13Gb Quantum Fireball KA Plus and a Creative Annihilator).

The question is:
Where is the best place to buy it??

I seems you have the strange phenomenon in your countries that Retail is MORE expensive than ordering over the net!!

I dont wanna pay $250 for a Annihilator if I can pay $200 you see, so what should I do?

Please help!

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 12-01-1999 11:56 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Look at www.pricewatch.com to get an idea of what stuff costs here in the U.S. They also provide links to the dealers sites and phone numbers.

Sisu

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
gbarclay
Member # 1212

posted 12-02-1999 10:42 AM     Profile for gbarclay   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Tobiwan,
The prices here in Canada are about 60% higher than in the USA due to our dollar difference.
I live on the West Coast.
Which part of Canada will your father be visiting?

Posts: 485 | From: Surrey BC Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 12-03-1999 12:46 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
He will be in Montreal, I think thats in Quebec?
He may also go to Toronto and Niagara (sorry cant spell it) falls.

Tell me, do you mean it ACTUALLY costs 60% more, or to you mean it appears more cos the Canadian $ is worth less??

(It's R6.10 to the US$ and R4.10 to the CN$)

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 12-03-1999 12:55 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Tobiwan, I think he means it appears to be more. Although my knowledge of Canadian currency is limited to the gleam in the eye of a strippe...ummm...nice bar inhabiting girl, when you flash US bills at them instead of Canadian ones at certain...juice bars...in Niagra Falls, the Canadian side that is; on the US side they just want to know where the older deader presidents are...save the 1st one of course.

And no I'm not going to tell you where in Niagra Falls I learned this, if that info got out to your dad then it would be contributing to the delinquency of an elder which is completely against my moral code.

------------------
Schattenjäger

"Der Horrido...Der Horrido..."

[This message has been edited by Schatten (edited 12-03-1999).]

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
calvinman
Member # 1218

posted 12-03-1999 01:06 AM     Profile for calvinman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi Tobiwan, Some hardware is cheaper in Canada than the States. To do some comparisom shopping check out www.computeravenue.mb.ca While it is hard to find these low prices every where I can try to find you a store in Montreal that has comparable prices, as I have family there. Let me know.
Posts: 220 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
calvinman
Member # 1218

posted 12-03-1999 01:09 AM     Profile for calvinman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
P.S. there is two taxes to pay in this great country, PST and GST both 7%. The provincial tax in Quebec could even be 8% so don't forget to factor this into your price comparisom!
Posts: 220 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 12-03-1999 02:15 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks!!

Viva le Quebec, Libre! HAHAHA!

7 + 7 = 14..

Hay, we also pay 14VAT down here. Than again we pay upto 49% income tax and get no free services from the government!! :-(

AFRICA SUX!

Say it with me now...

AFRICA SUX!

calvinman
Member # 1218

posted 12-03-1999 04:41 AM     Profile for calvinman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sound a lot like Canada, exept we get better prices on computer parts! hehe
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 12-03-1999 05:48 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
And you get snow. :-)

Seriously though isnt schooling free in Canada? I understood that your government used tax money to pay for the schools!

Here in SA even "public" schools demand school fees. In fact I did home schooling as my parents could not afford the school fees. (We have 5 kids in our family!)
They had to fight with the local authorities for a year or so before they where allowed to do it but I'm glad they did.
I left school 1/4into Standard 7 (You would call grade 9..we go to Grade 12 here) and I did Grades 9,10,11,12 at home in 2 1/2 years which is cool cos I means I gained a year on all my friends.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.