Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » EAW Forum Gender Imbalance

Author Topic: EAW Forum Gender Imbalance
MadWallaby
Member # 1043

posted 11-29-1999 03:48 AM     Profile for MadWallaby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi-dee-ho and a hippety-hop, all!

One thing has struck me, in my time lurking about this forum. The distinct lack of female types posting here. Why, aside from KrashnBurn's female friends, I count... uh...
counts on his paws...
None!

So what's the story? Is love of this fine game, indeed the fine pastime of WWII flight simming an exclusively male pastime? Or are the ladies merely reluctant to post in this environment where testosterone hangs heavily in the dank and humid air, like a... heavily hanging thing?

If you're a member of the fairer sex and you like EAW, prop sims in general, and/or ruggedly handsome wallabies, feel free to post a reply!

-------------------------------
MadWallaby,
EAW Forum Gender Equity Officer

Posts: 139 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Narrator
Member # 1077

posted 11-29-1999 03:59 AM     Profile for Narrator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well I have you know I'm a little Nonny Mouse female, and I would certianly like to meet with you- I've always gone for the large out-door types you know ?

I live at a tank testing terrain just outside Berlin, and you?

Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 11-29-1999 04:11 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Seeing as I and my friends are very interested in good ole WW2 fighter aircraft we have also lamented the lack of female pilots/WW2 aviators.

I must say I've only recently met a girl who can tell the difference between a Mirage F1AZ and a Mirage IIICZ. And will argue that a Bf-109E would kick a Spitfire I in the butt. (Ok..she's mainly german we'll forgive her. :-).

I think I'm in love. Ok so she also has other abundantly female charms, but still...

Her current boyfriend would'nt know a Hurricane from a Spitfire, which is a terrible waste and so I'm going to have to kill him. :-)

I've finally found a girl who knows what a Dakota is and I'm not gonna let some ground-bound philistine have her!! Such female are rare indeed.

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Der Fremd Fokker
Member # 806

posted 11-29-1999 02:34 PM     Profile for Der Fremd Fokker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
When my Girlfriend and I got our first PC (286 16Mhz) about 10 years ago, I bought Microprose's F-19 Stealth Fighter. She played it a fair bit, but not as much as I did.

When X-wing arrived, I needed a crowbar to get her off the computer, so I could play it. I'd say we probably both played X-wing as much as each other.

Then I got Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (SWOTL), but she just wasn't interested. When I asked her why, she said that even though X-wing and SWOTL were made by the same people and were very similar games, she didn't really identify with the WWII theme.

While we both grew up with Star Wars, she missed out on the many childhood influences that made me interested in WWII. The reason she played F-19 was because it was the only game we had at the time!

Since then she's played the following games to the end on their hardest levels: Doom, DoomII, Quake, QuakeII, Half-Life, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Diablo, Civilization, Warcraft, Warcraft II, Command&Conquer, Red Alert and Age of Empires. Age of Kings is the next thing on her shopping list.

So basically, she likes building empires, anything 'Star Wars' and running around with a big gun, kicking arse like Sigourney Weaver in 'Aliens'. Hmmm... think I'd better lock that BFG away somewhere safe.

MadWallaby -
Where are you in Oz? I'm in Perth. I would'nt mind joining you and Herr Schatten over the Channel sometime, if I can get my bum into gear on the Roger Wilko/ICQ front.

Tobiwan -
All's fair in love and war dude. You've got to get that wonderful example of womanhood away from the heretic. She'll probably make you fly for the Luftwaffe, but it's a (Balkans)cross you'll just have to bear.

Posts: 107 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 11-29-1999 03:01 PM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ach Himmel! Und there is something wrong with die Luftwaffe Herr Friend Fokker? I see...Interesting...

But seriously, seeing as how I'm usually online at an ungodly time here which is a normal time for southern hempishpere inhabiting wallabies, feel free to join in der fun. Besides I need someone to back me up that my singing isn't bad! Roger Wilco isn't too much of a tax on the system, if it was there's no way I could use it on my P.O.S. Trust me.

I also downloaded a very special taunt .wav to use on Herr Wallaby. I'm sure he'll wind up ranting about it at some point so I'll save the Sekret weapon until after he experiences it. Can you smell that? Smells like Wallaby fear...Smells like...Victory! Mwuhhhhaaahahaahaaaaaaahaaaa!

------------------
Schattenjäger

"Der Horrido...Der Horrido..."

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
VonBroam
Member # 39

posted 11-29-1999 03:36 PM     Profile for VonBroam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Der Fremd Fokker,

Don't let your GF get AOE 2. You will never see your computer again. Man this game should be classified as a controlled substance, I actually did not play EAW for a week!!
BTW took my Gf to the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum today. When I got back to the house she wanted me to teach her to play EAW. She has seen the Light!!!! (insert celestial singing)

VonBroam out

Posts: 327 | From: Beaufort, South Carolina | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MadWallaby
Member # 1043

posted 11-29-1999 03:53 PM     Profile for MadWallaby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Fremd Fokker,

I'm in Brisbane, m'friend! And you, and anyone else who feels like a bit of up-diddly-up-up-down-diddly-pom-splat are more than welcome to join Schattenjäger and myself in some online aerial mayhem! We use ICQ to find each other (our UINs are in our respective profiles), then communicate via Roger Wilco voicelink.

As for you, Schattenjäger... Your little tricks won't keep your feet dry, bub. Perhaps you should take up a new career in Unterseebooten? I'm going back to my beloved Hurricane. This P-47 business is for the birds.

The Americans can make refrigerators and automobiles, but planes and tanks? Hah!
- Hermann Goering, badly misquoted.

Posts: 139 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 11-30-1999 03:18 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm hanging up my RAF uniform ont walking avay from mien Spitfuren!

Welcome to the Luftwaffe! Say hello to your Emil.

Smile...it's for a good cause.

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
BobM
Member # 813

posted 11-30-1999 08:18 AM     Profile for BobM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Tobiwan,
Those (mostly) German women are definetly keepers. Sounds like you landed one, Congrats!!

Bob

Posts: 135 | From: Lafayette, Indiana | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Der Fremd Fokker
Member # 806

posted 12-03-1999 12:49 PM     Profile for Der Fremd Fokker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

Nein VonBroam, say it's nicht true! I vill never see mein computenmaschine again? Gott im Himmel! I must begin vork on der backup maschine immediately. I might just have enough alt scheise lying around here to make an 'Age of Konigs' maschine for der GF. As for der 'controlled substance', it sounds like zey vere handing it around at der museum, nein? Das ist gut. I must find der flieger museum around here so I can take der GF. SHE MUST BE CONVERTED!!!!

GhostHunter und MadMarsupial - I have der ICQ # in mein profile, I have der Roger Vilco telefunken maschine, und I have der earmuffs mit der fancy nase-picking attachment. (Or ist es ein zigaretten holder?) Ze only thing I don't have ist der clue what I'm doing.

Posts: 107 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
VonBroam
Member # 39

posted 12-03-1999 06:06 PM     Profile for VonBroam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Der Fremd Fokker,

Yes sadly it is true. The only problem is that I am addicted too. There is one good aspect to it, to get your GF off of the computer, ask her if she wants to "make some peasants" .

VonBroam out

Posts: 327 | From: Beaufort, South Carolina | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.