Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Resolution Depth

Author Topic: Resolution Depth
WOLF257
Member # 410

posted 11-28-1999 06:25 PM     Profile for WOLF257   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm running a CTX .23 Dot Pitch monitor and a 16meg Viper 550 2D/3D card and a 12 meg STB Black Magic V2 card.My question concerns resolution depth.My video resolution is nowhere near as good as some of the screen shots I've seen and wondered if there was a way to increase the depth of resolution.Just changing the screen size doesn't help because as soon as I get close to another plane it looks just like it did in 640x480.I'm not talking about the blocky appearance even though I'd love to improve that,I'm talking about slightly jagged edges that ruin the overall look of the planes.Or am I stuck with what I have now?I've got the latest drivers for my cards as well as the monitor and while it helped the frame rate a bit,it didn't do anything for the resolution.Is there anything I can do or I'm I stuck with what I've got?Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Posts: 281 | From: Alabama,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 11-28-1999 06:46 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Go into the EAW.ini file and enter a different resolution. For instance, if you want to run in glide with your Voodoo2, enter 800 and 600 on the approriate lines in the first section, Graphics, "width"and "height". I believe your Viper 550 can handle higher resolution than that, but you will have to change which graphic card you use in the eaw.ini file also. ( display Device=0 or 1) If you need help with the eaw.ini file check out the FAQ at my Aerodrome.
Major Lee.

Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WOLF257
Member # 410

posted 11-28-1999 09:09 PM     Profile for WOLF257   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for the advice.
WOLF

JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 11-29-1999 01:45 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hell, go for 1152x864 if your CPU's up to it. Also, for improved image quality, download the Detonator 3.53 TNT drivers from http://www.nvidia.com. NVidia make the TNT processors, and their drivers are usually better than the manufacturers'. I use the same card as you in my PC at work, and these drivers greatly improve the image quality of the Viper 550. Give it a go!
Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WOLF257
Member # 410

posted 11-30-1999 10:35 AM     Profile for WOLF257   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks Jerry,
Got the drivers and they did help a great deal,haven't tried the high resolution yet.
Not sure if my systems up to it but I'm gonna find out.Thanks again.
WOLF

JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 12-01-1999 01:54 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Np Wolf! here's what you need to do to get the best out of those drivers. Some of this may seem obvious :

When you've installed the new Detonator drivers from nVidia, restarted your PC and got your monitor set up how you want, here's what you do next:

1) Right click anywhere on your desktop
2) Choose Properties
3) Choose Settings, the click on the Advanced button
4) You should be able to see one or more tabs with the nVidia logo on them - choose the one that says RIVA TNT
5) The menu this brings up will have a nice little wizzy graphic and lots on info on the set up for the PC. Click on the Additional Properties button.
6) You should start with the colour correction menu - you may want to skip this unless there's some settings you want to change. Click on the Direct3D Settings tab.
7) TNT cards use Direct3D (D3D) as their primary graphics renderer. I think some can us Glide too, but I'm not sure. Some people say Glide is faster, but I'm not so sure about that either.
You should click on the tick boxes for everything apart from the 'Display logo when running D3D applications' (i.e. so that these boxes have a tick in them).
Mipmapping - it's best just to have 0 mipmap levels unless you want your textures to be smoothed.IMHO, it makes them too blurry. Select the Auto-mipmap method to bilinear. As for the Mipmap Detail Level - this is up to you. You may want best image quality, or best performance or blend, or anything in between !
8) OpenGL Settings tab - if you have one of these, don't bother changing anything.
9) Overlay Colour Control tab - this is for any DVD stuff you might run.
10) Other Options tab - Select the General Timing Formula under Monitor Timing (letting Windows determine anything on your PC is not too wise ;O). You may want to display the QuickTweak icon in your task bar - it'll save right clicking on your desktop in future.

That should set you up nicely. You have to click on the Apply button in order for the settings to take hold.

Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 12-01-1999 03:30 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi Jerry: non Voodoo-based cards cannot render in Glide.... yet. 3DFX and Creative Labs currently have a law suit under way regarding the building of a Glide emulator that CL wants to include in its NVidia based cards. 3DFX claims that CL used propriatary knowledge from 3DFX to make this Glide emulator; CL says they made it independently. (hmmmm, CL used to make Voodoo based cards.....) We shall see how this shakes out, what with 3DFX buying STB, and S3 buying Diamond and.... The video card race is on.
Major Lee

Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.