Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » YOUR Input Needed

Author Topic: YOUR Input Needed
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 11-19-1999 12:14 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hello everyone, there has been talk about what we would most like to see in a revised version of European Air War. Through Butcherbird13's various EAW III threads many things have come up. Now Edwin Rommel also added a bit about how Steel Panthers World War II came about as a direct result of fan input and design. What we are wondering is if there is enough support from YOU the EAW community for a petition to ask MP to either make an expansion disk, or allow some of the talented people here to be be 'trustees' for code to develop an expansion. Look at the thread:
www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000593.html

To see a bit more of what was discussed and then come back here and answer some basic questions if you would.

Question 1: Do you think that there should be an expansion to EAW beyond what we currently have now?

Question 2: Would you be willing to sign a petition to send to MicroProse if you answered Question 1 in the affirmative?

Question 3: Do you think it would be better to ask MicroProse to directly design a 'Gold' edition or do you think that 'trustees' such as those that have done the current editing (Charles Gunst, JG300_Wurger, etc) should be put forward to design it with unlocked code?

Question 4: Which do you think are the most important additions that are needed to EAW? Put them in order with 1 as most important to you and 8 as least.

1) New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code.
2) New Terrain
3) New Campaigns
4) New Interface, such as the logbook, etc.
5) New Skin Tools, so that planes could be marked by squadron not just type, etc.
6) New Ground Objects, through 3D object files.
7) New Map
8) Other, please explain.

Question 5: Any comments that the other questions didn't answer?

This is just to test the waters and see what you all think. Remember there aren't any stupid answers or silly questions, so post away. Thank you.

Schattenjaeger

"See I can type in plain English if I have to!"

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 11-19-1999 12:42 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Question 1: Do you think that there should be an expansion to EAW beyond what we currently have now?

Yes- The game is extremely "playable" and has excellent immersion, but lacks a bit of depth regarding campaigns, choice of aircraft, flight models and theatre of operations- by changing these things the game would go from excellent to brilliant and would go down as the greatest prop aircraft simulator of this millenium

Question 2: Would you be willing to sign a petition to send to MicroProse if you answered Question 1 in the affirmative?

But of course

Question 3: Do you think it would be better to ask MicroProse to directly design a 'Gold' edition or do you think that 'trustees' such as those that have done the current editing (Charles Gunst, JG300_Wurger, etc) should be put forward to design it with unlocked code?

If MicroProse are not willing, or do not see financial sense in trying to do something about the situation, we- the EAW community should try our level best to make this game the "classic" it deserves to be- The Inhouse/Trustee option seems the most sensible route

Question 4: Which do you think are the most important additions that are needed to EAW? Put them in order with 1 as most important to you and 8 as least.

1) New Campaigns.
2) New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code
3) New Terrain
4) New Ground Objects, through 3D object files
5) New Skin Tools, so that planes could be marked by squadron not just type, etc.
6) New Map
7) New Interface, such as the logbook, etc.
8) Expansion to include East Front/ North Africa

The only viable option to make sure that we prop-jockeys have flight simulators in the next century would be to try and make the genre survive by personal ownership and responsibility.
We have to face it- WWII is getting further behind us and although we do not condone war in any sense of the word, that war was the last air war of a passing phase. The war should be remembered for the sake of those that made the ultimate sacrifice. Through the preservation of accurate simulators like EAW we say- "We remember them- we salute them". The next generation will not have heard the sound of a Merlin, the plastic models will be replaced by Star wars- We owe it to our children to show them what real military flying was all about.

S!
E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Capitan Manduca
Member # 918

posted 11-19-1999 05:25 AM     Profile for Capitan Manduca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

Absolutely YES. EAW is very playable and enjoyable game. It has very strongpoints but also some weaks. If MPS released a Gold version I'm sure I'd buy it.

Sure.

The better would be MPS do the work, in theory they know their product, they have doc and the people who done it. If MPS refuses to do that, we would be in the situation of editing code by ourselves, me included.

1) New Campaigns.
2) Expansion to include East Front/ North Africa
3) New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code
4) New Terrain
5) New Ground Objects, through 3D object files
6) New Skin Tools, so that planes could be marked by squadron not just type, etc.
7) New Map
8) New Interface, such as the logbook, etc.

No comments. Good job everybody. S!

Posts: 888 | From: Madrid, España | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 11-19-1999 07:05 AM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
1.) Do you think that there should be an expansion to EAW beyond what we currently have now?
Absolutely; people like Charles Gunst have shown us the versatility of EAW, but more can (and should) be done.

2.) Would you be willing to sign a petition to send to MicroProse?
Try to stop me .

3.) Do you think it would be better to ask MicroProse to directly design a 'Gold' edition or do you think that 'trustees' should design it with unlocked code?
I would probably be more willing to pay Microprose for the expansion (and if it was good, I would absolutely pay) but if Charles Gunst was able to edit actual plane models, and it would eliminate having to wait god-knows-how-long for MP to release it, I would be in favor.

4.) Which do you think are the most important additions that are needed to EAW?
Pacific Theater of Operations. Some existing FM's (Mustang, Thunderbolt, etc.) could be retained, others added as needed if we could change aircraft design. To do this, we'd need to have the ability to get the 3d plane object code, so Open Sesame! New skin tools, so aircraft of the same type could have different skins, would be cool also... 'Nuf said.

5.) Any comments that the other questions didn't answer?
I think that, economically at least, MPS would be stupid to ignore the potential of EAW. Releasing the ability to modify the 3d model of aircraft or terrain would give a great deal of new interest (probably bringing in a great deal of revenue from people buying the game for its mod-ability). If they're not willing to release the code, they should at least realize that the market is so incredibly ripe for a quality Pacific sim that they could make a good deal of money if they released such a game or expansion.

Hope to hear about this soon,

------------------
-KMHPaladin
- "The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his
area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy
fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish."
Baron Manfred von Richthofen, 1917
- [email protected]

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_WrangleWolf
Member # 1039

posted 11-19-1999 07:48 AM     Profile for JG5_WrangleWolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S!
Question 1: Do you think that there should be an expansion to EAW beyond what we
currently have now?

Yes, yes, yes, YES!!

Question 2: Would you be willing to sign a petition to send to MicroProse if you
answered Question 1 in the affirmative?

Yes, yes, yes, YES!!

Question 3: Do you think it would be better to ask MicroProse to directly design a
'Gold' edition or do you think that 'trustees' such as those that have done the current
editing (Charles Gunst, JG300_Wurger, etc) should be put forward to design it with
unlocked code?

If MPS can't do this work, then MPS will permit to unlock the code.

Question 4: Which do you think are the most important additions that are needed to
EAW? Put them in order with 1 as most important to you and 8 as least.

1) New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code.
2) New Terrain
3) New Campaigns
4) New Interface, such as the logbook, etc.
6) New Ground Objects, through 3D object files.
7) New Map
8) Other, please explain.

All of them, and, i think(desire), an entire and continous campaign since 1939 to 1945, with several real battles, in ALL the ops. theaters.

No.

Posts: 54 | From: Cunit, Tarragona (Spain) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Volt
Member # 343

posted 11-19-1999 10:38 AM     Profile for JG5_Volt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes there are many facets of EAW which could be improved on particularly multiplayer plus you only need to look at the interest this game generates despite the fact it is over a year old

YES

Of course it would be better if MicroProse took this project to heart as they have the resources but there is obviously the financial aspect especially with B17 coming out soon as I suspect they will want to push this as the latest and greatest. However given the necessary tools I think that Charles, Paulo, Hakan etc. could do a job that we would all be happy with but we must remember that they have day jobs and I would imagine that this would be no 5 minute conversion.

1) Other, please explain. I would like to see more a realistic Flight Model (comparative differences between aircraft rather than to the N'th degree) and more intelligent AI even if it is only your wingman plus the ability for more than 4/6 human players to take part in game without the lag and warp problems currently afflicting EAW also the view system needs sorting for online play

2) New Campaigns + New Terrain I believe these go hand in hand and personally I would like to see the Eastern Front and Desert Campaign represented

3) New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code + New Skin Tools, so that planes could be marked by squadron not just type, etc. Again I think these go together

4) All the other things you mention will make the game nicer but will come as part of a revised package I suspect

I think that the views expressed will fall between the two stalls of Offline and Online play as people like myself who fly regularly at the Zone will be looking for slightly different things to the Offline community see the posts under ButcherBird's various topics. Good Luck.
S!
JG5 Volt

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 11-19-1999 03:08 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

Yes

Yes

First I would wait if Microprose does it itself - if not, then the skilled ones among us should try to do something.

1) New Campaigns.
2) Expansion to include East Front/ North Africa
3) New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code
4) New Skin Tools, so that planes could be marked by squadron not just type, etc.
5) New Ground Objects, through 3D object files
6) New Interface, such as the logbook, etc.
7) New Terrain
8) New Map

Hmmm....let me think....

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 11-20-1999 01:05 PM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just realised that I never put my answers in.

Definately. Like others have said how many year old sims have this sort of interest and support for them. Also if I didn't think so I wouldn't have brought it up would I?

Yes.

Question 3: Do you think it would be better to ask MicroProse to directly design a 'Gold' edition or do you think that 'trustees' such as those that have done the current editing (Charles Gunst, JG300_Wurger, etc)should be put forward to design it with unlocked code?

I'd like to see MicroProse put something out. I'd buy it most definately. If they aren't willing/able to do that then I think the code to make the most requested changes should be put into 3rd party hands. We all know what good things have been done already by intrepid programmers, imagine what they could do with the source code.

1) New Planes. The more the better!
2) New Campaigns
3) Ost Front/Desert/Nightfighting!
4) New 3D Objects
5) New Skin Tools
6) New Terrain
7) New Map
8) New Interface, logbook especially

Yes, thanks everyone that took the time out so far to fill this in. Remember to tell you friends. The more questions that get answered here the better idea everyone has of what the idea of adding on could be.

Another thing that I was thinking of was Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, I had one of the disks fall on my head, long story, but remember how when it first came out it was great? And then there were the expansion packs with the new planes that were released a little later, a pack with a new plane for $15.00 or so? That would be good too. I'd buy addon planepacks for EAW at 15 a pop. Especially if they also expanded little things in the game, ie: nightfighting, Italian missions, etc. Just something to think about.

------------------
Schattenjäger

"Der Horrido...Der Horrido..."

[This message has been edited by Schatten (edited 11-20-1999).]

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 11-22-1999 02:04 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I agree 100% will all of Edwins points!

'cept I like addition no8 the most.

PS. I must must sadly admit I've never heard the sound of a Merlin. Suppose that's cos I'm the "next generation".

------------------
Matthew "Raptor" Renard

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 11-23-1999 02:18 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Here Is my 2 cents worth:

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.I think that Microprose should do it. I also would buy it. But if they won't, let a reliable 3rd party handle it.

4. 1. New Aircraft.
2. New Terrain.
3. New Ground Objects,and more of them!
4. New Campaigns.
5. New Voice Commands.
6. New Interface.
7. New Map.
8. New Logbook.

5. Not at this time.

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 11-23-1999 02:50 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Let me take a buzz at this one,

I agree with Donster's answers with the exception of #4, my order of pref would be:

1. New Ground Objects,and more of them!
2. New Campaigns, including more (lot more) A2G, ala prior to D-day and Russian front.
3. New Aircraft, include some Yaks!!! (Early Flankers LOL).
4. New Terrain.
5. New Map w/zoom .
6. New logbook, able to type in notes.
7. New Voice commands (or make the old ones mapable to stick if possible).
8. New Interface, not really on my list, but what the hey.

You forgot one question, Would you buy it if offered?

HELL YES!!! in a heartbeat, a New York Minute, don't hold me back, and I would sell my mother-in-law for it. That answer the question?

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Jerry
Member # 1076

posted 11-24-1999 01:56 AM     Profile for JG5_Jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just my tuppence worth:

Here's how MPS would answer:

Sorry, we're still using the engine for other games, so the code has to be kept under wraps. Sorry.

Lots of love

Microprose
----

I know it's not a nice thing to say, but I think that there's a 99.99999...% chance that the code won't be released to us poor EAW fans.

Posts: 702 | From: Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 11-24-1999 02:21 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ja Herr JG5_Jerry!

But ve vill not know until ve try mit a good a case as possible- To quote Herr BB13- Zhere ist ALWAYS a VAY !

So- I am not overly optimistic- but vill not give up without giving it a damn good try, Ja?- Then at least we can walk away feeling," I gave it my best shot" and not "I gave up to soon"

Post on- we need your opinions !
Danke

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
YnB
Member # 49

posted 11-24-1999 03:51 AM     Profile for YnB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
a new campaign: a Nazi invasion on Sweden,
with aircrafts like B18, the B17 divebomber, the J 26 Mustang and the SAAB J21 Fighter.

Posts: 131 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tannethal
Member # 666

posted 11-25-1999 01:31 AM     Profile for Tannethal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm lazy and suffered from a cold but here is my answer:

1. yes

2. yes

3. Microprose should do it, otherwise they should at least give the unlocked code to the Add on programmers.
Someone should also consider to ask Paulo Morais on this Subject. His great add on TPE42 is worth it, and he turned up a lot of the programming of EAW.

4. 1)New Campaigns: East Front and Africa
This would automatical request:
2) new planes (a unlocked 3d modell would be fine)
3) new terrain
4) a at least expanded map
5) new ground objects
6) more control as squadleader, such as control over decorations and promotions, a indicator for the fatigue of a pilot(now mere a rough guess), to do this a refined debrief would be needed.
7) a new interface would be also direct request resulting out of the additional campaigns
8) New skin tools would be a nice thing to look at, but I think this to be of the minorest importance, cause at this point regarding a special squad during a dogfight is impossible. This is more for watching the planes in F9 F12mode.
Regardless of this, I think it could be done in the same fashion as for the bomber nose art.

5. nothing to add

Posts: 537 | From: Olbernhau Germany | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Tank
Member # 655

posted 11-25-1999 09:08 AM     Profile for Kurt Tank   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
1. YES!

2. Where do I sign?

3. "Gold" edition preferable and I would gladly pay for same, but having heard the EAW design team has departed Microprose I think the third party option is more likely.

4. Expand EAW to cover air operations of the entire ETO, as its title implies. This would require...
a. Map expansion to include East & Med/N.A. fronts.
b. New aircraft for representation of all major combatant air forces from 1940-45.
c. New terrain for the new map sections.
d. New campaigns for the new air forces/fronts (to include night combat).
e. Improved wingman AI.
New interface, ground objects, and skin options would be nice but I'd rather see more substance and am less concerned about "style."

Posts: 23 | From: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-25-1999 12:41 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

Definitely!!!

Yes!!!

I trust Charles more than Microprose to produce an accurate enhancement.

1. New Campaigns, ie,
- France (German, British, and French)
- Russian Front (German and Soviet)
- North Africa (German and British)
- Mediterranean (German, Italian, British)
- Entire War (German, British, American, Soviet, Italian.)

2) New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code.
- This includes planes from countries not currently supported.

3) New Terrain
Although JayP's is several steps in the right direction (THANKS JAYP!!!) I would like to see more geo-specific terrain. You don't have to go overboard like CFS, but I'd sure like to see the cliffs of Dover and St. Paul's Cathedral in my BoB campaign!!

4) New Ground Objects, through 3D object files.

This one sounds too good to pass up, but I don't fully understand it. Perhaps it means terrain-specific ground objects, like the Thames Docks? If so, then YES YES YES!!! Also, barrage balloons.

The add-hoc tools already do this. What I really want is to be able to mark INDIVIDUAL AIRCRAFT in the squadron, so I can look over as a 109 in JG26, for example, and see Adolf Galland waving to me above his cartoon Mickey Mouse, but there's only ONE airplane painted that way in the squadron, and it's the one flown by pilot Adolf Galland(who is un-killable)

I'd like to skip immediately to OTHER, Vana.

OTHER.
AI! It still needs work. Can anyone help me with the bad flight characteristics of 109 wingmen? They seem to follow the book on how to NOT fly against a Hurricane. Completely hopeless.

How about ships that move, and cannot be sunk by .50cal?

How about 'build-your-own' campaigns?

Here's the beef: When 109's flew 'free jagd' missions over England in 1940, they were rarely challenged. Dowding himself forbade planes to take off for pure dogfights. Yet in EAW, I am frequently outnumbered by the British on such missions as a German, and they generally maul my squadron. This is not cool. In the Battle of Britain campaign, you should get a few free jagds as the German where almost NOTHING comes up, making you realize that it is pointless, then the campaign switches to bomber escort, the only way your gonna get a Brit to take off. (or Jabo missions). So either the Battle of Britain campaign needs to be re-programmed, or just give us a campaign editor, complete with a 'percentage mission chance' value, and we'll build it ourselves.

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
DBond
Member # 37

posted 11-25-1999 05:33 PM     Profile for DBond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gavin- check the thread called "109e request" for an answer to your qustion about the 109's.
Posts: 814 | From: Mays Landing, N.J.,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
VonBroam
Member # 39

posted 11-25-1999 09:31 PM     Profile for VonBroam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

Haell yeah we needs an addon. (the voice of Bubba has spoken)

1: Yes EAW needs an add-on. the possibility that the best ww2 sim in ages wouldn't make more money for the parent company is ludicrous.

2: Yes

3: I doubt Microprose will unlock the code for the Hallowed Modifiers to use, but if they did I believe they could do it right.

4:
1: New Campaigns.
2: New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code
3: New Terrain
4: New Ground Objects, through 3D object files
5: New Skin Tools, so that planes could be marked by squadron not just type, etc.
6: New Map
7: New Interface, such as the logbook, etc.
8: Mission editor for historical missions.

5: A night fighter add-on would be very nice, as would perhaps naval aviation.

VonBroam out

Posts: 327 | From: Beaufort, South Carolina | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Der Fremd Fokker
Member # 806

posted 11-27-1999 12:42 PM     Profile for Der Fremd Fokker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Q1.& Q2. yes to both questions.

Q3.
To be honest, I think 'our lads' (with our help of course. ) would do a better job. Notice I said "would" rather than "could". It's more a matter of will than skill. Labour of love beats commercial enterprise every time.

Q4.
1) Other, please explain.
The AI needs urgent repairs. My wingmen only use their pop guns, and a 109E only has 2 of 'em. Can anyone tell me if this is just a Luftwaffe thing or do the Spit IX AI forget they have cannons as well? And what about AI planes that have cannons only?

2) New Campaigns.
Let's fill that gap between BOB and '43. A continuous campaign from start to finish would be even better.

3) New Planes, through the unlocking of 3D plane object code.
To go with our new campaigns of course.

4) New Terrain
Ditto.

5) New Map
Ditto Ditto.

6) New Interface, such as the logbook, etc.
I'm surprised such an obvious thing was left out in the first place. It'd sure help me make sense of the cryptic debriefing screens.

7) New Ground Objects, through 3D object files.
Active naval targets would be cool.

8) New Skin Tools, so that planes could be marked by squadron not just type, etc.
Since there is a limit of planes, (30 I think) this would have to be limited to a small part of the aircraft in the same way that it's already done on the B17, B24 etc.

Q5.
I'm not sure how effective a petition would be in getting Microprose to release their source code. But letting them know what we want, has to have a positive outcome somewhere along the line. This is free market research and they will take notice of it. Perhaps some of our ideas will turn up in EAW II. Right now though, I would be satisfied with just a quick AI patch. :O

Posts: 107 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 11-29-1999 06:33 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herren

Please keep ze dream alive?! Take part in ze survey ? Bitte?

Danke

E.R.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.