Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Literary find of the week

Author Topic: Literary find of the week
VonBroam
Member # 39

posted 11-26-1999 12:10 PM     Profile for VonBroam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

I work in a library and one of my jobs is to sort through the donated books to see if any are to go into the collection, and which ones go to the "Friends of the Library" for sale. As a staff member I also grab books for the other staff as we aslo get first dibs on them. Well on Wednesday I hit the Mother Lode, for in our donations area there was a large format book. It was laying uder several other tomes, and I could not tell what it was other than old. It turned out to be a true treasure, nothing less than a Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1942. Did you all hear me screaming??? It even still has it's dust jacket, this thing is awesome. Plus I found a copy of "Samurai" by Saburo Sakai. Also for any of you looking for some of these books, I have gound some very good deals at used bookstore.

VonBroam out

Posts: 327 | From: Beaufort, South Carolina | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Whizkid
Member # 993

posted 11-26-1999 02:05 PM     Profile for Whizkid     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S!--What a treasure!You are hereby designated honorary Archivist for EAW by all of us on the forum.DO I HEAR A RESOUNDING "AYE" FROM ALL OF YOU? Any opposing views will be held in contempt!(Sounds like a session of Congress,dont it!)Seriously,guys,do you think it would be good to have a Librarian around to settle points of discussion re. our favorite topic? Especially as he holds the answers in Janes!If its a resounding AYE,would you take it on,Von Broam?
Posts: 269 | From: CitrusHts,Ca.,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 11-26-1999 02:14 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Von B...

I'm not going touch the subject of your being the keeper of knowledge for this forum, that's up to you if your willing to take it on..instead I'd poise this to you...check out the history of THAT Jane's book...my humble understanding is that Janes did not publish for civilian use during the war...I could be wrong...but if I'm not I wonder who it belonged to...also I'm willing to bet there is more about axis planes than allied, right?

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

[This message has been edited by mane_raptor (edited 11-26-1999).]

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
VonBroam
Member # 39

posted 11-26-1999 04:14 PM     Profile for VonBroam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

mane_raptor,

As for the history of this particular copy,it is the US printing by the Mcmillian Company. The back of the dust jacket bears an advertisement for several other Mcmillian Co. books that would not be neccesasarily only of a military use. Maybe the "Restricted" use was only for the English copies, but I am not sure. My dad remembers looking at Janes books at his library when he was 9 years old (1945)
As for the information within, I don't see any particular bias towards the Axis planes. The information is very similar to a current Janes (same basic layout, proves some good things never change) and it is full of the expected nice photos. I live in an area that has a large number of military retirees, and would not be suprised if it belonged to a WW2 vet, but there is no signiture or bookplate that might give me insight into its personal history.
WHIZKID, thanks for the kind words, but there are many on this Forum much more knowledgeable than I. There is perhaps too much information available here for any one person to keep track of. Hey I used to lose track of all the Hein Kill, FIFI, and Bridgitte antics !!

VonBroam out

Posts: 327 | From: Beaufort, South Carolina | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 11-26-1999 09:37 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Roger that, good luck with your find.

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.