Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Hello, All!

Author Topic: Hello, All!
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-25-1999 02:39 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, this is my first day on this board, so let me tell you all a little about myself, my 'EAW Profile', if you will.

I purchased the game summer of 99, so still relatively wet behind the ears.

Since purchasing the game, my involvement in it has progressed thus:

- Started playing the game, started with Battle of Britain campaign, LOVED IT, then started to notice things. First thing I noticed was the poor AI in your wingmen.

- Downloaded version 1.2 patch, solved problem. Now wingmen were getting more kills
than me! Had to work on my marksmanship...

- Started participating in the bulletin board at: http://members.spree.com/airwar/

- Went and grabbed the Meatwater Sound Patch.
LOVED IT!!!

- Tried out my first downloaded skin, the Helmut Wick 109 from September 1940 off Air Buddha's site. LOVED IT!!!

- Downloaded the Enemy Coast Ahead add-on. Wanted to try flying Stukas and Ju-88's. BIG FUN!!! You surely know true fear as a Stuka pilot in the Battle of Britain, though...

- Started to ease my way into painting skins, after downloading several new skins and flying them. Read Peter Townsend's book 'Duel of Eagles' and got right into No.85 Squadron out of Martlesham Heath (called Martlesham Station in the game). Spent many an hour researching the squadron skin scheme, and finally found it. Now in the process of painting it, but finding the Hurricane nose cone to be EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!! ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, like WHERE'S THE FREAKIN' UNDERSIDE OF IT IN THE PALETTE???

- Grabbed JayP's terrain files. Wow. Whole new game! It almost looks real from some altitudes down there now!

- Added an EAW side to my webpage, and started writing 'battle logs' for my campaign as a Hurricane pilot in No.85 squadron during the BoB.

Whot I need help with currently:
----------------------------------
As mentioned above, I'm having grief with the nosecone on the Hurricane. Many squadrons used white cones, but wouldn't you know it, No.85 went with basic black. Repainting that cone is a chore, and finding the underside of it in the palette is damn near impossible. Just about everything in my test palette is now dark green, brown, or fluorescent pink and dayglow green, and still that nose cone stubbornly has shaded white on it's underside.

I'd like to get a mod for my 109E planes so they stop trying to dogfight Hurricanes. The enemy AI seems pretty good, why didn't they just migrate that to the friendly AI???

Projekts:
-----------
- Painting. I'll be doing LOTS of Battle of Britain schemes.
- Battle Logs. I'll be soldiering on with this bit o work for the forseeable future.

That's all fer now, nice to meet you all.

Gavin Joth.

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Whizkid
Member # 993

posted 11-25-1999 02:48 PM     Profile for Whizkid     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Gavin. May I be the first to wlcome you aboard. You sure sound like the type of enthusiast the forum needs.You will receive more help than you can believe on this forum,and if you like crazy humor theyll have you in stitches.Im a newbie too but absolutely love both the game and the people who participate here.WELCOME!!!PS. Where are you located?
Posts: 269 | From: CitrusHts,Ca.,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-25-1999 02:51 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Victoria, British Columbia (lots of British charm in Victoria, but few Columbians though)

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly

ButcherBird13
Member # 270

posted 11-25-1999 02:56 PM     Profile for ButcherBird13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
WELCOME

If you ever need any help dont hesitate to ask. This is a place where you can really feel that no question is stupid.

You might want to add you name to Schattens list he is building. We want MP to come out with EAW II and hes starting a petition of sorts.

For ideas SANTA WISH list look at my EAW III topics and ADD SOME OF YOUR IDEAS.
There are programmers reading this and getting ideas.

Also here is post just for fun. But you seen that right.

These are a great group of people here!

------------------
There is ALWAYS a WAY if your COMMITTED !

Posts: 292 | From: Holland Western Front | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Whizkid
Member # 993

posted 11-25-1999 02:58 PM     Profile for Whizkid     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S!--Lovely area Im told.Youre lucky because youll be able to understand all the gobbledegook about cricket that came up recently.God,what a boring game!Almost as bad as Curling!
Posts: 269 | From: CitrusHts,Ca.,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-25-1999 03:10 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I posted a response to that cricket thread. In Victoria they have this 'proper English Park' called Beacon Hill that has a regulation cricket field, and I've seen players out there playing the odd sport, but I must say I soon find my eyes glazing over and my mind wandering and suddenly throwing stale bread at waterfowl seems like an extreme sport, and I move on.

As for curling, I tried it out, joined a league once, and other than the ridiculous 'rank structure' that had me having Army days flashbacks, I had fun, so I'd have to side with Curling on this one.

Collison
Member # 965

posted 11-25-1999 05:37 PM     Profile for Collison   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Gavin, I usually go to school in Victoria!

I'm taking time off from the big school right now, though, back at home in Williams Lake in the Interior. Good to see a fellow BCer here.

~Ross (my handle is not a spelling mistake!)

Posts: 50 | From: Williams Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 11-25-1999 05:50 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gavin,

Welcome to the insanity! There's alot of really great people here, you will learn much grasshopper! May the EAW Gods smile upon you! Keep em Flyin'!

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-25-1999 06:11 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, guys. And hi to Collison. Not much is going on down here on the coast right now. BC Ferries just launched a second Pacificat, but the first one is already in drydock for corrosion, so I'm now thinking I better try one out before they all sink!
(I did tour the first one when it was open to the public, and I LIKED it! I especially liked the GPS monitors everywhere showing the ship's position, very cool. I DIDN'T like the 'trendy-neuveau' snack bar, though, enough neon and 50's bar stools to choke Elvis, let me tell you.)

oh, wait a minute, we're supposed to talking about airplanes...sorry.

------------------

SPANKY
Member # 1063

posted 11-25-1999 06:43 PM     Profile for SPANKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
WELCOME GAVIN !! hope you like this forum lots of fun and these guy's are great for their help. by the way i live not to far from you ,i'm in parksville b.c. just a couple of hours away.
Posts: 68 | From: parksville b.c. canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-25-1999 06:50 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well ain't that a kick in the pants! I'm FROM Parksville! Lived there since I wuz 13. Went to old Middle School downtown (it's abandoned now) and then to Ballenas, I did a lot of the murals in there, if you remember them (or still walk past them).

Back then, Parksville didn't have a McDonalds, and the Island Hwy drove through the main street. We DID have a movie theatre, though, run by a tough old German guy who would throw you out on your *ss if you swore or climbed over a seat.

Gavin,
Ex Parksvillian who traded his Mac Jacket and reversed baseball cap for a suit and tie and finally made it out beyond the Orange Bridge.

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 11-25-1999 07:08 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gavin,

Welcome to the mad, mad, mad world of EAW! Hope your Germlish is up to it. Anybody seen the Croc?

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPANKY
Member # 1063

posted 11-25-1999 08:19 PM     Profile for SPANKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
HEY GAVIN ,they were the good old days, went to ballenas when it first opened and ya i remember the old movie theater, just about had my &%$##@ kicked out a few times too, so what other sims do you fly? i,ve got several but just can't stay away from EAW. I LOVE IT. maybe when B17 2 comes out things might change. catch ya later!!
Posts: 68 | From: parksville b.c. canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 11-26-1999 02:32 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Gavin

Willkommen!- Viel Glück!

I hope you will enjoy ze forum as much as ze game!- We rate as certifyable- but we enjoy the times they let us out!

Just had to pop into the university to come and check up on the forum- Couldn't wait till Monday!-

Hope you will enjoy the game und der forum, und contribute mildly!

Ach- I go, but I come back!

Vatch Sechs

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 11-26-1999 02:50 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mildly?
Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rudy G
Member # 113

posted 11-26-1999 03:57 AM     Profile for Rudy G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
HellOo Gavin,

I've been looking for that spot myself .I got close ,but I painted to much one time to remember exactly cuz I used a light color and it showed up white still.Try these areas wing root front and back, wing tip(that dark spot looks odd)or the scoop areas.You'll be amazed on how some little things look and end up five times the size in the game.I'll be lookin to see if you get it .I pretty much gave up.

FWIW,
Rudy G
Mex Bandit
@zone,kali

Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-26-1999 01:15 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Spanky, remember the SCUM center? The owner had two dogs, Dobermans, with truck chain leases (I kid you not). The guy didn't care if you dealt drugs in the booths, so long as you didn't rock the pinball machines or stick slugs in the coin slots.

Anyways, so far as sims go, I played Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe the most extensively before this game, and I played 1942: Pacific Air War, too (and can still see the traces of it in this game)

I also played X-Wing extensively, and TIE Fighter, too. X-Wing was the only game where I actually threw my joystick at the monitor, screamed the f word as loud as I could, and left the room. The hardest missions I've ever seen! They practically wanted you to be Luke Skywalker sitting there! In many ways you were, cause after you play one mission 30 times, you tend to get an intuition of what's going to happen in the future, kinda like the force.

I've played a lot more space sim stuff than airplane stuff, mainly because there was so little selection out there. Things like:
Wing Commander 1 and 2
Star Crusader
Wing Commander Privateer
Renegade Legion

As for prop sims,
I LOVED SWOTL, the best WW2 airplane game ever. EAW kicks it's butt in the graphics department, but duh, it's much newer. Where SWOTL kicks butt is the strategic campaign element of it, absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

As for flying B17's, It get's real annoying quick. Firstly, it takes you several hours to get anywheres, and 90% of that trip is looking out the window, and then the only fun part, the bomb run, which ruins your entire day if you botch it and miss, and then you're jumped by fighters, and you have to jump all over the airplane like Daffy Duck trying to find the gunner's chair with the most action, then two of your 4 engines buy it, and you spend the next 3 hours nursing the big crate home at 100 miles an hour. Not my idea of a good time, but maybe someone else's.

The Absolute BEST beer and pretzels game in SWOTL was:
-Me-163 Komet with the vertical 50mm cannons.
-LARGE enemy formation, target rich, please!
-Unlimited Fuel (teehee!)
-Unlimited Ammo (that's sick! OH YEAH!)

That vertical cannon system has got to be the most effective anti-bomber weapon ever developed! Just arm the guns, fly under your target, and watch it go BOOM! What fun. Wonder if it actually worked and killed any bombers in the war?

Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-26-1999 01:19 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
err, the dogs has leashes, no they didn't lease truck chains, that's a bad move. You still have to buy them out at the end, and you ever try to keep a truck chain spotless?

Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-26-1999 01:23 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rudy, I'll keep you posted. I've started from scratch and I'm gonna map every $&#*&%(# pixel if it kills me! Maybe they stuck it in the low-res file? Oh man! That would have been pure evil if they did that...

------------------

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.