Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » On the subject of non-historical add-ons.

Author Topic: On the subject of non-historical add-ons.
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 11-25-1999 01:35 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have a rather nice idea..

The Graf Zepplin..yup..German aircraft carrier!

Think of it, Bf-109Ts and Ju-87R (?) flying off carriers...British vs German carrier battles.

Now I'm not saying I'd EVER fly a Bf-109T but I would enjoy attacking a german carrier in a Blackburn Skua with Fairy Fulmar escourt.

Aircraft required:
German:

Bf-109T1 (Navalised 109E-4)
Ju-87R (Navalised Ju-87B)
Maybe a naval Fw-190A

British:
Fairy Fulmar (2seat fighter)
Blackburn Skua (fighter/divebomber)
Fairy Albacore
Fairy Swordfish
Grumman Martlet II (F4F-4)
Sea Hurricane IIc
Seafire II (Spitfire Vb)

What fun!!

------------------
Matthew "Raptor" Renard

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 11-25-1999 02:12 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Interesting........kind of like ECA's allowing you to play beyond 1945 and use Spitfire MkXXI's and XXIII's, XP-72's, etc.(What If...) I've always wondered what it would be like to have flown some of the lesser known British naval aircraft ever since reading Charles Lamb's "To War In A Stringbag" (Swordfish pilot).
We could also have Wildcats (Martlets) go up against 109s, and something like ECA to answer that theoretical question of which was better, the 109 or the Hellcat? And with Mediterranean scenery and weapons add-ons (torpedoes) we could recreate the British Swordfish attack on Taranto or deliver Spitfires to Malta! P.S. In Lamb's book, he describes a maneuver in the Swordfish which no fighter could follow: something about flying as slow as possible (not hard in Swordfish!), and standing the plane on its tail. When it was tried out in mock battle the fighter stalled and crashed!

But I have to wonder about: "...I would enjoy attacking a german carrier in a Blackburn Skua with Fairy Fulmar escourt."

And I thought Cfran and the other Stukaholics were nutty!

[This message has been edited by JWC (edited 11-25-1999).]

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 11-25-1999 02:18 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Oh, I'm quite mad too.

Why else would I lead a wing of Hurricane IIcs against Fw-190As.

I just dont like Stukas!

_____

No seriously I enjoy flying strange aircraft that arn't usually represented in games...I think the Fairy Fulmar was a beautiful plane and it and the Skua are unfairly left out of games....as is the Martlet.

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 11-25-1999 03:04 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Na, you gotta go with secret weapons, basically a 'Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe 2' with EAW game engine and graphics. Have all the cool projekts the Germans worked on but never finished, have the war drag on to 1950, with Gloster Meteors and F-80 Shooting Stars mixing it up with Go-229's, He-162's, ect...

Also, try to model the cool strategic element present in SWOTL, so you can allocate resources, technology research, targets for bombing, ect... When planes intercept planes on the strategic map, then it drops into EAW flight sim mode.

ok, I'll stop, I've got drool all over the keyboard...

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
oneway
Member # 1122

posted 11-26-1999 05:06 AM     Profile for oneway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
yeah like the aces of the pacific 1946 add on where you could fly the planes that just entering the service or on the drawing board at the end of the war.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.