Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » EAW II, Europe by moonlight....

Author Topic: EAW II, Europe by moonlight....
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 11-19-1999 09:09 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I would like to see a little night fighter add-on. ( I would pay MONEY, MPS!!) This could include the Mosquito, Hurricane, P61, and several GAF aircraft. The Ju88, Me110, the 109 and 190, and even some others like the HE219"Owl". This would allow the GAF aircraft in EAW to really take center stage. Of course, some of the British heavy bombers would have to be added, for realism's sake. Major Lee

Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 11-19-1999 11:19 PM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ah a subject near and dear to my heart. I agree Major Lee a good night campaign is something that should be done. I really like flying the Ju 88G but wonder how much more effective it would be at night against RAF bombers and fighters. Especially with a Schräge Musik pack.

While thumbing through books looking for Regia Aeronautica skin ideas, I also just read that the He 219 Uhu shot down over 60% of the total of all Mosquitos operating over the Continent at night with only a production run of 268 Uhu's. Also that the first operational sortie of the aircraft shot down 5 Lancasters in 30 minutes. That's an exteremly effective nightfighter if you ask me.

Also there could be Beaufighters and Blenheims, as well as the Lancasters, Stirlings, Wellingtons, Halifaxes and Withworth Whitleys for the RAF bomber command. I believe the Russians also used their heavy bombers at night but could be wrong on that one. All in all, it would give a broader range of missions and planes to those that like to fly the non-American iron. I'd love to see a P-61 but from everything I can gather they were pretty limited in use in the ETO, being deployed more widely in the PTO. Which is a whole other can of worms to be opening...

Schattenjäger

"Der Horrido...Der Horrido..."

[This message has been edited by Schatten (edited 11-19-1999).]

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ButcherBird13
Member # 270

posted 11-20-1999 06:09 AM     Profile for ButcherBird13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Major look under my topic of EAW III http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000532.html

1st thing I wrote ,,,,,NIGHT FIGHTERS!

I would LOVE THE OWL ! I would pay for a add on if it were Dynamic campain and With JUST the Owl .To have the rest ....WOW !

Read pilot accounts of it MAN THE WOULD BE great!!!

it should Also include seeing the RED EXHAUST of the enemy bombers BEFORE the damped it Also that should be a feature of Day time bombers caught in dusk.....you can see their EXHAUST

Btw popular to gun them down!! aim between the red flames spurting out .....the gunners dont know your there until they see tracers !!

hee hee a U boat in the air if you will
LOSS! hee hee !

------------------
There is ALWAYS a WAY if your COMMITTED !

[This message has been edited by ButcherBird13 (edited 11-20-1999).]

Posts: 292 | From: Holland Western Front | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Collison
Member # 965

posted 11-20-1999 10:53 AM     Profile for Collison   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes! A P-61 would be very, very cool. It's wing design was so advanced (low aspect ratio, spoilers, full span flaps, tip ailerons) it could out-turn a Mustang. It did see use in the ETO, starting just prior to D-Day, but you don't hear a lot about them. I guess offensive German night operations were pretty limited by then. Mostly PTO and CBI. Killer airplane.

~Ross

Posts: 50 | From: Williams Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 11-20-1999 02:49 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes, a night campaign would really be something - with all the British bombers, German nightfighters... Would add a whole new dimension to EAW. If only the campaigns now would include at least some night-action, or more at dusk or dawn - only once I've seen dawn, when flying to homebase with a P 51 - what beautiful scenery...

Stan

------------------
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 11-20-1999 05:09 PM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Stanley, it is beautiful at dusk/dawn. I've managed to do actual night combat but only in single missions set for dusk and then staying on the runway until after the bombers hit their target. Lots and lots of waiting, then take off and intercept them on their home leg. The tracers and flak at night are something that has to be seen to believe. You can also see the way the various balistics are modelled at night with an external view. The cannon and MG tracers drop at different angles and speeds. I think I still have some night fighting screenshots saved. If I can figure out how my ISP's free webpages work to put them up, I'll post a few.

------------------
Schattenjäger

Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 11-20-1999 05:23 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yep Schatten, have seen action in dusk/dawn in single missions, it looks gorgeous, but I would want that to be in campaigns also. In single missions I never made it into night - because I am impatient - but think it's worth a try...

Stan

Schatten
Member # 93

posted 11-20-1999 05:36 PM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hehe, Herr Stanley, here's what you can do. I have experience with this since I'm impatient too...

First, get the Carpetbager's night B-26 skin from Relent and install it, adds to the fun. Then make sure the staffel has droptanks loaded, sit in the #1 plane and never turn on your engine, turn down the volume, go watch the History Channel for an hour or so, come back, take off, blow things up. Repeat as necessary. Easiest way I've found to do it.

------------------
Schattenjäger

Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 11-20-1999 05:58 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ah good idea, Schatten, will do that!

Stan

Schatten
Member # 93

posted 11-21-1999 12:07 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well while we wait to see what's up tonight with the Mystery of the Missing Posts. Something for Herr Butcherbird...

------------------
Schattenjäger

ButcherBird13
Member # 270

posted 11-21-1999 02:20 PM     Profile for ButcherBird13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
just to let you know Schatten , I saw this last night just before I went to sleep....

just wanted to say thanks !

S!

------------------
There is ALWAYS a WAY if your COMMITTED !

Posts: 292 | From: Holland Western Front | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 11-21-1999 02:24 PM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Bitte, I really want one of those. Bad.

------------------
Schattenjäger

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.