Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Pilot of the Week

Author Topic: Pilot of the Week
Donster
Member # 196

posted 11-19-1999 03:18 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Salute! Adolf Galland!

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
BobM
Member # 813

posted 11-19-1999 08:03 PM     Profile for BobM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Salute!!

One of the most, as someone aptly put it in the "Name your favorite flyer/ace" topic earlier this week, chivalrous men to fly in any air force during the war. I'm sure you all know the story of how he let Douglas Bader sit in the cockpit of a 109 and was, in his own words, "half-tempted to let him take it up for a circuit over the field" when Bader asked. Or how he sent a message through the red cross to get a new leg sent for Bader in the POW camp.
OK, I'm done with my hero-worshiping now...

------------------
The only thing new in the world is the history we don't know
-Harry S. Truman

Posts: 135 | From: Lafayette, Indiana | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 11-19-1999 11:21 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
He also had a large dinner prepared for R.R.S. Tuck, along with Galland's pilots. They recounted how they had met once in the air. Tuck had been leading a flight of Spit Mk Vs over the continent when he had spotted 109s up higher. Because the 109s had the energy he ordered the Spits to go into a defensive circle. Galland was leading the 109s, and after watch the Spits circle, he identified the leader and dove down to get him. Tuck saw the 109's leader coming up from behind and manuevered to avoid the shot. Galland saw the leader turn in such a way as to be impossible to get, so he shot down the leader's wingman. Tuck quickly pulled back to the line the 109 leader had flown and shot down the 109 leader's wingman. Galland talked with him for quite awhile, to find out how the RAF aces were doing and then it was time for Tuck to go off to the Luftstalag. They remained friends until Tuck's death in 1987.

Sisu

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.