Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » EAW on P200MMX?

Author Topic: EAW on P200MMX?
TroyAir
Member # 922

posted 11-18-1999 01:44 PM     Profile for TroyAir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
This question is related to one I asked in "Props" about MS Combat Flight Simulator. Some of the answers mentioned that on my 1996-vintage PC (souped up with a Pentium200MMX Overdrive, 48 Mb of RAM, 256k cache, 16Mb PCI Diamond Monster videocard, Montego soundcard, 4x cd-rom) that MSCFS would run pretty slow. I've read from other posts that EAW seems to do better on older systems. So on my system, would EAW be playable in a dogfight situation or would the fps be too low?

Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 78 | From: Tampa, Florida, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fatdog
Member # 73

posted 11-18-1999 03:55 PM     Profile for Fatdog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Troy,

I'm running it on a p233 w/160 meg, Diamond 3000 3d and a diamond voodooII 8 meg, SB awe64 sound. I have the game set to run at 800x600, with the plane and effects detail set to high with most of the rest of the settings set to medium or less. It runs just fine for me. The only slow downs occur when I get into really large bomber formations with a lot of smoking engines. Dogfighting runs smooth as silk.

Hope this helps.

PS. Are you the person formally known as Pancake?

[This message has been edited by Fatdog (edited 11-18-1999).]

Posts: 74 | From: Merrimack, NH | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ButcherBird13
Member # 270

posted 11-18-1999 04:03 PM     Profile for ButcherBird13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My old computer was a 233mmx 64mbSDRAM CL 16M Banshee CL 32x cdrom

I did enjoy playing the games on it .

It would play respectably with some items turned off SAME SAME with CFS WWII FIGHTERS

If Santa can get you a NEW system even if its not PIII or ALTHON no PROBLEM GET IT!!!

I have a AMD K2 400 with VOODOO 3 fps in CFS is 40-50 SAME with WWII Fighters

This is equv to a PII 400 which would not be that expensive at this time.

Why I will say that it is probably possible to play the games and enjoy them {and DO SO if a new comp is not in the immediate future}

The Best money I have spent so far was the upgrade to VOODOO 3, AMD K2 400 ,128 SDRAM PCI 100

Everthing is SO MUCH BETTER !!!

{In my future is an ATHLON woooo hooo }

------------------
There is ALWAYS a WAY if your COMMITTED !

Posts: 292 | From: Holland Western Front | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
fjacobsen
Member # 298

posted 11-18-1999 04:24 PM     Profile for fjacobsen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have a 200 Mhz MMX, 40 MB RAM, Voodoo 1 system and EAW runs smooth even with animated propeller. Graphics settings is medium except plane detail wich is high.
So I sink You just should buy it, You won´t regred.

Posts: 29 | From: Billum, Denmark | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
matttm
Member # 662

posted 11-18-1999 05:03 PM     Profile for matttm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Confirm the above.

I ran a P-133, 32MB, VooDoo 2, 640x480, with Medium details, High on planes. Only really slowed down when attacking large B-17 formations but was not slideshow. But then my P-133 was tuned baby!

Matt.

Posts: 692 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 11-18-1999 07:08 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I've got a P233MMX, 64meg ram, 16MB Diamond Monster Fusion PCI, SB AWE32 and run EAW with all settings max. No problems. Even runs DX 7 OK! Only slows down (like above posts) when in bomber formations with a lot of smoking engines.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 11-18-1999 11:00 PM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr TroyAir

Ich run mit der Celeron 366 chip (no overclocking- my home is zo damn hot und humid- I am afraid to run too hot) on ze Pentium III mother board- 32 K ram und ze Voodoo Banshee card (12 Meg)- 4X CD Drive (But I use a "full install" from ze hard drive.

All situations smoking/non smoking und peak hour/After hours- smooth as silk- und you can use ze computer for "typing" as well- yes dear !!

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 11-19-1999 02:27 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Edwin you damn wuss!

I live in the same hot unt sticky country as you, unt I overclocked my Celeron 366 to 550Mhz!!!

And it promtly went and overheated.

I hate africa.

Seriously though my Celeron 366 is currently running at 466!! with no problems.
I have a DFI 3-bay Midi-Tower ATX case, a Rectron K6 "SuperFan" on my Celeron 366 PPGA which is running on an MSI-6905 Slocket plugged into a MSI-6163 motherboard.

Runs like a charm....at about 30 deg. Ok a bit warmer now that it's summer in Durbs.

I have an old Diamond Monster Fusion 16mb AGP witch when coupled to the afore mentioned setup with 128mb RAM does very nicely in EAW and MA.

BTW. The first machine I run EAW on was as follows:
P-233MMX, Gemlight 430VX m/b, 64mb PC-66 RAM, Diamond Monster I 4mb.
And it was bloody awful. One v ones were okay but anything more make it go stop...so I had to stay in the BoB.

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rudy G
Member # 113

posted 11-19-1999 02:37 AM     Profile for Rudy G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Troy Air
I think the trick is Full install if you got the room 200Mb w/add ons ,its worth it.That way you dont get those pauses from the read of the CD.My OOold system a 150p overclocked to 166 48mb ram amd Monster 2 8mb video can host 6 players comfortably on internet play.I got extra sqds set at 2 in the ini.Only a slight drop close to the bombers ,its no stutter drop pause like bad lag on internet.So you should be A ok.

FWIW
Rudy G
Aka:Mex Bandit

ButcherBird13
Member # 270

posted 11-19-1999 05:25 AM     Profile for ButcherBird13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
just a note on the above a FULL install is NOT recommended by MP TECHs there seems to be a Stabilty issue .

Of coarse if that is your only choice go for it.

------------------
There is ALWAYS a WAY if your COMMITTED !

Posts: 292 | From: Holland Western Front | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Capitan Manduca
Member # 918

posted 11-19-1999 05:30 AM     Profile for Capitan Manduca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My old computer was an AMD K6-200 (overclocked to 225), Voodoo2 8Mb and 16x CDROM. EAW was running fine at 800x600 with some little details turned to min detail (Terrain, terrain objects and lens flare off)

No frame losses even when intercepting big B17 formations.

------------------
"Roll over, spin round and come in behind them. Move to their blindsides and firing again"
Iron Maiden - Aces High

Posts: 888 | From: Madrid, Espańa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
TroyAir
Member # 922

posted 11-19-1999 07:14 AM     Profile for TroyAir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for the advice! Last night on the way home I picked up a copy of "European Air War" for $30. Haven't installed it yet - wanted to see what you guys had to say about it before it became impossible to return it. Sounds like I made the right decision. Excellent!

And yes, Fatdog, I used to use the handle "Pancake" and "PancakeUS" (you'll see my AW missions in the Downloads section here), but there was another fellow using "Pancake" so I switched for the purposes of this board to avoid confusion. On Air Warrior, I still use the CPID: Pcake. I have 2 email accounts on AOL (1 for AW, 1 for everything else).

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 78 | From: Tampa, Florida, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 11-19-1999 07:25 AM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Patch it to 1.2 version, set res to 800x600 as per the readme instructions, set plane detail to medium(you still get full detail at all but long range), turn off shadows. In large formations of smoking bombers, lower special effects setting. Leave terrain texture turned up. My .02 cents.
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.