Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » TNT vs 3Dfx Skins... long post... need help...

Author Topic: TNT vs 3Dfx Skins... long post... need help...
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 11-15-1999 04:58 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
This is a cry for help. I've been a 3Dfx fan for a long time, and endured a torrent of pressure from friends to get a TNT2 although I have V2 SLI (I'm still using it).

I even bought a TNT2 and took it back when I couldn't see an improvement in any of my games including EAW or Mechwarrior 3. Open GL shooters looked a lot better with the TNT2, but I seldom play those.

All that changed when Microprose released picpac. I bought another TNT2 with my V2 SLI running alongside.

When I post "TNT" skins on my site, I'm only using that as a generic term since TNT seems to be the 3D de'jour these days. I believe that the TNT skins will work fine with any D3D card except 3Dfx.

Fortunately, I have my V2 SLI still hooked up, so I can check to make sure a skin will display properly on a 3Dfx board.

There was a similar problem with palettes and Quake skins, but I don't know what the workaround is. There's got to be a way to get custom palettes to work with 3Dfx boards in EAW.

It doesn't seem right that Voodoo cards can't have the same color depth in EAW that it shows in many other games. We've all probably got plenty of games that have stunning graphics that work great or even better with 3Dfx. Unreal is a prime example.

Unreal Tournament runs great on a TNT2, but Unreal is a real dog with anything but a 3Dfx board.

Below are some examples of the color depth that is lost when skinning planes for a 3Dfx board.

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards, Airbuddha
Airbuddha's Homepage for EAW Skins http://users.ezwv.com/~buddha/EAW.htm

3Dfx P-51B

TNT2 P-51B

3Dfx P-51D

TNT2 P-51D

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 11-15-1999 05:32 PM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I think the idea is that 3dfx boards can be faster because they have a closed palette, i.e. colors can't be added and thus the card doesn't have to worry about extraneous colors, whereas with a TNT2 colors can be added at the expense of speed. That's just my understanding, I'm not at all an expert, of course.
Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Jerry
unregistered

posted 11-16-1999 01:50 AM       Edit/Delete Post
There's no performance hit for TNT cards because of this palette stuff.
IP: Logged
Rudy G
Member # 113

posted 11-16-1999 03:57 AM     Profile for Rudy G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Airbudah

If your using Photoshop have you tried using the profile to profile before going back to index? I have used it when getting neon colors going back to indexed.I can double check the exact settings Ive used if you like more info.
http://rudeerud.home.netcom.com/home.htm

FWIW
Rudy G.

Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 11-16-1999 05:57 AM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rudy,

I'm using Photoshop 4.01 and Paintshop Pro 5.03. I actually prefer Paintshop Pro, but would gladly skin with Photoshop if it made a difference.

I don't know what you're talking about when you say "profile to profile", but you may have a newer version of Photoshop than I do.

I paint in RGB color, and when I want to save it for 3Dfx compatibility, I load a stock EAW palette so as not to get the neon effect. Stock EAW palettes have a very limited color range.

Saving a custom palette for any other D3D card is as simple as converting from RGB to 256 color and you're done.

What do you mean by "profile to profile"?

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Leeman
unregistered

posted 11-16-1999 06:35 AM       Edit/Delete Post
I don't make skins, I only know what I see. I have the same setup you do with a TNT2 Ultra (Diamond V770) and two Voodoo2's in SLI mode (Diamond Monster) and the difference between the two cards in virtually every game is startling (haven't tried Unreal). The TNT2 card gives a much "richer" look. The colors are very sharp. With 3Dfx the colors look washed out. TNT2 is the way to go for EAW. I wish I could address your conversion problem but I don't have any answers for you.
IP: Logged
Rudy G
Member # 113

posted 11-19-1999 03:18 AM     Profile for Rudy G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Airbuddha
Sorry took awhile to get back,but I got photoshop 5.0 .Before going back to mode/indexed your still in rgb the profile to profile should be accessable(if you have).Select profile to....then select From color match RGB next select To RGB .Engine I used Kodak digital science ICC CMS. Intent I think is the last one I have used Absolute and Relative color metric .uncheck the black deal dont remember what it says. Ive played around with different settings too though.And thanks for sharing those skining tips .One less hair saved from pulling.

FWIW
Rudy G
Aka:Mex_Bandit

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.