Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » ACHTUNG- Alle OLD Timers respond !!!

Author Topic: ACHTUNG- Alle OLD Timers respond !!!
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 10-20-1999 01:33 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herren

As part of our ongoing quest to bring you newcomers to the forum, a better service,( und since I am tied to zis verdamte hospital bed mit nothink to do- not even "inbreeding"- my "inbreeding" gerät ist missing), I wish to set up a Germlish 2 "who's who on the forum"- Could you old timers please post the following info zo that this project towards ze greater good and entirely for ze benefit of ze sprogs, newbies und rookies can be completed ?- I will set up in a neat list vonce ze info ist in:
Required:
Name: (Forum name)
Nationality: (Assumed on ze forum)
Callsign/s:
Favourite A/C:

Danke

E.R.

Remember, ve vere all young und inexperienced vonce !!! Heheheheh
und by taking part ze posting average goes up, und maybe even you can get more posts than C Francisco !

[This message has been edited by Edwin Rommel (edited 10-20-1999).]

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 10-20-1999 03:17 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Name: Hun Hunter
Nationality: Very British
Call Sign: "Winger"
Fav A/c: Spitfire IXC

------------------
Tally Ho!

Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
still a newbie
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 03:28 AM       Edit/Delete Post
"As part of our ongoing quest to bring you newcomers to the forum, a better service...." ???

How about using proper English language instead of all that "role-playing" of several different characters? That may be easy for native english speakers, but I bet a lot of us "foreigners" have a hard time reading it, the point of the post is simply lost. Most often it is annoying to skip all the "germglish" gibberings.

Do I really have to learn your dictionary to find the point of all this?

IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 10-20-1999 03:35 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Beign a foreigner myself, vhat ist your point zat you try to make- zis ist ze way I speak- Scheiß- today's children !!

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 10-20-1999 03:53 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey It's Funny.
Have a laugh newbie...I admit some times I get tired of wading thru the Germinglish and Frenglish but sometimes it's VERY funny.

Name: Tobiwan (Aka. Matthew A. Renard)
Nationality: British (ok, South African)
Fav AC: Spitfire IXc, Hurricane IIC
Callsign: Raptor

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-20-1999 06:53 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
HEHEHEHE newbie seems to have a good comprehension of the english language for a foreigner to make his statement understood...LOL

Anyway BBBWWWWAHAHAHAHA
ZO Herr Rommel do vant mein information...hahaha vell vell vell.. ze gestapho tried ze zame trick vonce but i vill not fall fur it again..LOL

Name:CFrancisco better known as CFran
Nationality:Ist dis really necessary? i am a Citizen of Combatsim.com heir ist mein ausweiss
callsign/s: Thumper/VonHess
Favourite A/C:ME109F-4(after someone showed me how wonderful it performs against the Spit IXC) and SpitMKIX

Posts: 4364 | From: NYC, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Chris392
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 07:45 AM       Edit/Delete Post
I can't help it, I can't keep quiet. Rommel, you have only been on this forum since 22 Sept!! how is it you feel qualified for old timer status?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour. Can't you see that whoever that 'newbie' was (and it was NOT me) might actually have a point. As did Sailor Malan (who only received replies to his query after[/] my post, Cfran, not before) in [i]his[/] comment about not scaring away newbies. But your response is to mock, rather than respond.

I would like to refine my earlier comments though because I did not ever mean to imply that the likes of Cfran, Opa, Tailspin, Kraut, VonBroam and the many other 'old timers' here have not and are not helpful. You are! You guys are fabulous.

But the Hein Kill, Rommel, Fifi and Germglish domination of this forum is alienating people whether you want to believe it or not.

You are right that people can choose whether or not to read and join in these posts...you think they are fun, good for you and all those who want to take part. But there is a balance between creating this fun atmosphere, and making it [i]inclusive rather than exclusive.

As I have pointed out, as Sailor Malan has pointed out, as Nick Moyrand pointed out a while back and got flamed for it, and as 'still a newbie' has pointed out now, your idea of fun is actually excluding a lot of potential participants in this forum. How many people will it take to get you to listen?

Jeez I'm not trying to make this forum P.C. and advocating the creation of a dry, boring, colorless entity. I just ask that you, the very very vocal minority, please remember some very simple things:

*English is not the first language of many people here and your Germglish is nearly incomprehensible

*Your in-jokes are fine, but when so many topics/threads consist of in-jokes, how is an outsider or newbie supposed to join in.

*If so many of the topic and threads that show up are Hein Kill, Rommel, 'Schulz get my luger' style posts, why should a newcomer looking for help or camaradery join in this forum?

I would argue that the forum didn't used to be this way (I've been dropping in for several months now) and functioned very well when it wasn't. People had fun, it was quite inclusive, it was very helpful. I just don't think it is what it used to be, or all that it could be.

Flame away.

Chris392

Chris392
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 07:48 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, messed up the italics there.
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 10-20-1999 07:55 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
And the thread old Boy !
And you would also note that I did not include myself as an OLD BOY- You did, and thank you- The offer was to write an introduction for newbies on the forum on understanding the regulars- sorry if I offended you AGAIN !!!

[This message has been edited by Edwin Rommel (edited 10-20-1999).]

Chris392
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 08:02 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Better to lose this thread, than for this forum to lose the plot, I say, old bean!
Donster
Member # 196

posted 10-20-1999 08:08 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Chris 392,

Please explain to me what you mean by "your idea of fun is actually excluding a lot of potential participants in this forum."

You can choose to participate or not. What is posted here can be written, or read, by anyone, am I correct?

If people have a question about EAW all they have to do is start a new thread, and ignore what ever they like.

The Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Chris392
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 08:19 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Hi Donster,

Put it this way...would you join a conversation with people you don't know, in a language you don't understand, about topics that don't interest you?

Why should newcomers join in EAW fourm when they have to wade through all the role playing and germglish (it's not always obvious from the title of the topic) to get to something else?

And sure, anyone can start a new thread - my point yesterday (lost in the subsequent flaming) was that these sort of threads from newcomers are getting lost in the Germglish noise, and are often not responded to.

Chris

CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-20-1999 08:22 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
ACH HIMMEL!! Helmut mien Walther und Cyanide bitte Der GOTTERDAMERUNG ist Heir.. *CLICK* *BANG* Scheiss MISSED!!! ..

well ok back to the old ways.. hhhhmmm wait a minute! there is no difference between how i posted back then and now... interesting... OH WELL... we will try to conform with your wishes..

CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-20-1999 08:22 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
ACH HIMMEL!! Helmut mien Walther und Cyanide bitte Der GOTTERDAMERUNG ist Heir.. *CLICK* *BANG* Scheiss MISSED!!! ..

well ok back to the old ways.. hhhhmmm wait a minute! there is no difference between how i posted back then and now... interesting... OH WELL... we will try to conform with your wishes..

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 10-20-1999 08:41 AM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I had planed to use this space to demonstrate absurdity by being absured, maybe I should have left it up, but I wimped out sorry, I just though after I posted it that some wouldn't understand the meaning and I'd get flamed terribly for it....oh well,

My point was this, in all honesty, are we really that bad as to not answer questions as posted by anyone? I for one, take every measure I can to help someone out, look around the proof is in there. But, if you don't see my name in a thread, started by a question, Its because I didn't know the answer, therefore why waist the space with mindless typing??

Secondly, The "Joke" stuff, is a very fun way of passing the "idle" time on the forum. When the work (questions) comes in, then we get serious and do our best to answer them. Its definately not our fault that "newbies" are not posting their questions, and to blame us for using our free time as we see fit, is out of line on your part. NEWBIES are WELCOME, and I for one will shout that from the hilltops for all to hear. Start a new thread, If the questions can be answered, they will be.

Thank you very much

VonGunn

Closing the hatch on his Tiger Ie and waiting for the lead to fly...

[This message has been edited by VonGunn (edited 10-20-1999).]

Posts: 377 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 10-20-1999 08:43 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I can see Chris!
Shultz get me my Luger!

J/K!!

Hien Kill may go abit far but Rommel is quite funny!

PS. Chris no?? : It is not worth fighting about

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-20-1999 08:44 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gunn... but we LUV U!!!! ..... LOL
Chris392
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 08:45 AM       Edit/Delete Post
true true Cfran. Problem is that now there are so many Cfran imitators. Flattering for you, annoying as hell for (some) others.

Chris

CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-20-1999 08:52 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
funny thing about the cfran imitators are it CONFUSES the HELL outta me... because i think to myself HEY I DIDNT POST that did I or did I ?.... HAHAHAHA
The Daily Observer
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 08:54 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Could somebody please mail Sailor Malan- he is feeling left- out again And VonGunn- we newbies, rookies and sprogs just love you- who are you BTW ?

The Editor

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 10-20-1999 08:58 AM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
uhh..hehe...please note the newly edited version of my previous post....as I said..sorry if I made anyone mad about it....

VonGunn

[This message has been edited by VonGunn (edited 10-20-1999).]

CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-20-1999 09:14 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
well i just came up with something... Chris answer me this since you get so upset about unanswered posts.. How come noone answers my posts about Luftwaffe tactics?.. and yet i dont get upset about it?.. hhhmmmm ?
CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-20-1999 09:27 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gunn did you see the TOPGUN competition board.. what do you think?... will it work or no? silly network 54 servers are down again so i cant post this on the No313 forum..
Chris392
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 09:30 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Cfran!! You generate more post that Santa Claus! If you got upset at one of your gazillion posts going unanswered you'd be in full time therapy...

Daily Observer: Rommel, sarcasm under a different handle is still sarcasm

Vonn Gunn: The apology is mine, I don't want to curb your civil rights! And you personally do make people feel welcome. I tried to specify what doesn't with my little asterisk points above, and I don't think any apply to you.

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 10-20-1999 09:53 AM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mr. CFrancisco, Yes sir, looks good to me

*TU*

definately not silly

I like the Opening statements. Makes me feel like Mav. heheh

VonGunn

PS For those of you in Rio Linda *TU*= Thumps up

Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 10-20-1999 09:53 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My two penny's worth:
I can see Chris's point but it's exactly the same solution to watching a really bad tv show....turn it over and watch something else. I'm sure if the forum is not to your taste, and you looked hard enough, you could find another.In the mean time, if the greatest worry you have is having to skip over the Germglish posts in a chat forum, then you are a very lucky individual indeed

------------------
Tally Ho!

Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 10-20-1999 11:13 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Attention! Attention!

Contributors to this EAW Forum. The time has come for COMPLETE political correctness! No more funny posts! You cannot make fun of anyone's race,creed,nationality,language,
religon,history,sex,organ size,intelligence,
computer,car,girlfriend,boyfriend,wife,
husband,children,pets,dwelling,meal,drink,
hobby,school,the way they fly in EAW, software likes and dislikes, etc.

You can and only can contribute to this forum only such posts that are completly about the sim EAW! Nothing else will be accepted! You must realize that the few are mightier than the many. We can not afford to upset anyone who may read this forum!

Smiling will not be tolerated! No laughing!
No more smiley's! No more sound effects!
Just serious posts from now on!Remember this!

Ahh! Let freedom ring!

The Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
VonBroam
Member # 39

posted 10-20-1999 11:24 AM     Profile for VonBroam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

VonBroam AKA Michael Broam
Time spent playing EAW: WAYYYYY to much
Occupation (or what I do when not playing EAW ) Librarian

favorite EAW methods of destruction: Tempest, FW-190 A6 ( insert many chants and sacrifices to MR. Gunst here) Me-410 B6

VonBroam out

Posts: 327 | From: Beaufort, South Carolina | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 10-20-1999 12:00 PM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Der Opa
I am listed under the "who's who"-section, so if you want to learn all about me(and my nick), go there.
I can tell you that my favourite ac is the 109E.

Now for you, Chris.
We COULD make a purely technical, clinical forum. Question, Reply, question, reply.
What would that cause? Wouldn't THAT scare off newcomers? I think that the best way of getting rid of the fear of posting "stupid" questions(hey, there is no such thing!), is to create a friendly and humourous (sp.?) attitude in the forum. You know, make the newcomers feel that all the EAW-players actually is one big EAW-family.. Yes, you can join too! Just bring out your humorous side, I know you have one!

------------------
Der Opa

Posts: 710 | From: Sandnes, Rogaland, Norway | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nashwan
Member # 91

posted 10-20-1999 12:38 PM     Profile for Nashwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Name: Jones, Michael
Nationality: British
Fav AC: TEMPEST, Fw190 A4
Callsign: Nashwan
If this forum degenerated into a simple technical question and answer session I would be one of the mant who stopped coming. I suspect it would populated only by newbies asking each other technical questions none of them know how to answer.

Kraut
Member # 513

posted 10-20-1999 03:34 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Name- Graber Carl
Nation-Canadian
Fav. Kites-109Es, Fs, G10s, or Ks & 190A4s or D9s
Occupation-Auto Body Repair
Married-Twice(First was for R&D)
Sex-4 to 5 times a week, with my wife
Height-6'1"
Weight-224 lbs.
Looks-Ugly with glasses(Bi focals)
I think it's the humour that keeps this board from going sterile. It also adds to the "family" feel. Besides, I think most are walkers. Hehe!!!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 10-20-1999 04:16 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I agree with Donster. This forum should be more serious. I'll straighten things out. All right Squadron, ATTENTION! Present... ARMS. Wait, not you Hein Kill. ( plink, bounce ) Don't move Heiney, you're at ATTENTION!!! I'll get your eye out of Fifi's blouse. We have a lady here, so ABOUT FACE! Come here sweetie pie, I'll get that ice cold eye ball from your shirt for you. Hmm, Ahh, Where could it be, HEY, is that my missing radio toggle switch???? (Ohhhh Major, your hand, it is so varm....)
Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SDaly
unregistered

posted 10-20-1999 04:37 PM       Edit/Delete Post
Chris..mabey it's me but, there is a reason why we're the only fully active forum around here. Take a look around, you see a better forum than this...um, mabey there is a reason for that too....
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-20-1999 05:00 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey y'all...I have a confession to make. Chris does have a valid point. (To some extent anyway). I admit all the roleplaying, IMHO that is, did wear kinda thin sometimes. In fact it got to where it was dominating most of the forum. Not all bad, not all good. However it was/is really harmless fun. If you're not in the mood for it, just skip it.
Now to the matter of Chris. As I recall, Chris, you started off in this forum with a very sarcastic attitude about the "silliness" here. You automatically alienated yourself from everyone here who might have given you help and friendship. First impressions are usually lasting.
As for Saylor Mallan, I don't really think he was purposfully ignored by anyone. He just happend to post on a subject that has been thouroughly discussed many times. Thats no excuse for rudeness, and you may be partly correct in that all the diversion could have contributed to the lack of response. Time and again people here have tried to accept "you" by advising you to "lighten up". Have you ever come on this forum with a legitimate question? If so, I don't recall. Much of what you have done is to complain and criticise about the way people act here. What is your purpose in this? Is there something you want to know about EAW and can't get an answer to?
While your point is well considered, I am beginning to doubt your motive is really concern for "newbies"

Tailspin (USA)
British in EAW
Mk I Spitfire (a Gentleman's aircraft) Tempest (a surefire widowmaker for Jerry)

Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 10-20-1999 05:37 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Name: Andreas Scharinger
Nationality: Austria
Callsign: none(Stanley is the name of my son)
Fav.Aircraft:Spitfire IX,Me 410 B2/U2,P47D

Basically it's the humour which makes me a frequent visitor here on this forum, and, believe it or not, you get answers to questions. I've seen some other forums, but none of them was anything near as funny as this one. About the Germglish - I don't mind, some folks here speak English just about the same way! And another thing: even it is more frequent now, in my opinion there is nearly no flaming here (look at the Falcon 4.0 forum at delphi's, THEN you know how useless a forum becomes by folks who

1.)flame others because they have a different opinion

2.)have nothing else to contribute than repeated demands to "behave" - which means to impose on others how they have to write their stuff, about what they shall post etc

3.)frequently post the same demands/flames over and over again

Seems that some of this special kind of guys jumped into this forum now... Let's keep it as it was: funny, and informative!

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 10-20-1999 06:37 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Name: Arizsun Ahola
Nationality: American
Service in EAW: RAF
Call Sign: Karnak (unsurprisingly)
Fav. Aircraft: Spitfire Mk XIVc, XIVe
Liked Aircraft: Spitfire Mk IXc, Bf-109G

And I'll meet any of you bloody Huns in the sky anytime. And I'll show you Yanks how to truly handle an aeroplane and how to be a gentleman despite being paid less. Class cannot be bought.

Sisu

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 10-20-1999 06:48 PM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I think;to be quite honest about this;that Chris is a "closet EAW queen"...

Some friendly words of advice:
Chris ,just "come out" man!,and be done with it!

[This message has been edited by Slapphead (edited 10-20-1999).]

Posts: 1148 | From: london/uk | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Reese
Member # 156

posted 10-20-1999 10:07 PM     Profile for Reese   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Name: Reese Moore
Nationality: American
Fav AC: whatever I'm flying

Chris, like it or not, you are a member of this odd band of brothers. The persistent efforts to bring you to the center says a lot about our people. Hang in there--we've got a war to win! See you over the Channel.

Schatten
Member # 93

posted 10-21-1999 12:11 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Name: Rick Palumbo
Nationality: American (Honorary Australian)
Service: Luftwaffe
Callsign: Schattenjaeger (means Shadowhunter not what it looks like)
Favorite Aircraft: Ju-88G, Bf 109-F1
Plane I'm beginning to like too much for my own good: Mustang D

That's it for now as it's 01:30 and if I babble anymore it won't come out as Germglish but Pennsyltuckeese and then no one would be able to understand it. Seeyuns.

Schattenjaeger

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
TonyH
Member # 110

posted 10-21-1999 04:54 AM     Profile for TonyH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I think I might qualify as an old timer.....

Name: Tony Hand (no callsign!)
Nationality: Irish
Fav AC: ME109 E and F, ME110 (sorry, I can't help it)

Posts: 287 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.