Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Nashwan

Author Topic: Nashwan
Nashwan
Member # 91

posted 10-16-1999 08:30 AM     Profile for Nashwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As far as I know, guns firing through the propellor arc had to have interupter gear to prevent them firing when the prop blades were in front of the muzzles. Does anybody know how much effect this would have had on the rate of fire, and is this taken into account in ECA?

Nashwan
Member # 91

posted 10-16-1999 11:05 AM     Profile for Nashwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Is there any way to edit the Topic field? Nashwan was not my idea, Microsoft helpfuly put it there for me without my noticing. Now I have to turn off Auto Complete Text Fields.

Kraut
Member # 513

posted 10-16-1999 01:38 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The more experienced 109 pilots would set their prop pitch a little finer so that they could get more RPM out of the engine, thus a faster rate of fire from their cowl mounts. I don't know if ECA takes this into consideration or not but I wouldn't "think" so.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Charles Gunst
unregistered

posted 10-16-1999 04:48 PM       Edit/Delete Post
Rate of fire is accurately modelled in EAW (it is controlled by the *.FLT files), so changes can easily be made to reflect the slower rate of fire of synchronized guns.
IP: Logged
Nashwan
Member # 91

posted 10-16-1999 07:09 PM     Profile for Nashwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
In the readme for ECA it states that the rates of fire of the various guns had been changed from EAW's original (wrong) values to their real world values. What I was wondering is when you programmed them into ECA, did you use the ROF for the guns themselves, or the ROF for the particular installation, as firing through the prop would reduce the ROF for fuselage guns. I know it's nitpicking, especially as I don't have a clue as to how much difference it would make.
It's not a critiscism, I was merely curious.

Charles Gunst
unregistered

posted 10-16-1999 08:46 PM       Edit/Delete Post
In both ECA and ECA Control Panel the ROF of weapons varies, depending on whether they are synchronized or not. This is especially pronounced in the upcoming ECAPANEL v1.5, which has Russian aircraft. The Russian weapons modelled, the ShKAS 7.62mm MG, the UBK 12.7mm MG and the ShVAK 20mm cannon, were all excellent air-to-air weapons, with a high rate of fire (higher than their British or U.S. counterparts), but much less so when synchronized.
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 10-16-1999 10:19 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
So Charles, is the ROF in proportion to engine RPMs on aircraft that have cowl mount weapons? If so, that's simply amazing & I stand corrected.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Charles Gunst
unregistered

posted 10-17-1999 03:49 AM       Edit/Delete Post
No, not in proportion to engine RPM, EAW doesn't allow for that. The ROF is set for each weapon in the FLT file, so the ROF of nose-mounted MGs is just lower than wing-mounted ones.
Nashwan
Member # 91

posted 10-17-1999 08:35 AM     Profile for Nashwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The attention to detail lavished upon ECA is truly amazing. I wouldn't have thought syncronization would have reduced ROF more than about 5%, but I stand corrected. I suppose it depends on the number of prop blades etc. Did the original EAW take this into account?

Kraut
Member # 513

posted 10-17-1999 11:18 AM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
No matter Charles. It's still one great sim. In fact, IMO, the best for emersion that I've ever come across. I play it much more now than CFS. Great work & thanks bunches.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.