Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » A request for support...

Author Topic: A request for support...
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 10-06-1999 06:35 AM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Ho,

Started the 1944 190A campaign again and was flying along at Ritterkreuze Height to see if it helped my penetration to the target armor any better.

Caused me to notice two things:

1. 'Scale Height'.
Is -off-. By more than I thought. Fly along past the 'asparagus' trees and the deciduous whatevers and especially the /houses/.

Keep in mind that a FOUR STORY building is only about 50 feet tall when you add the roof. And tell me how my altimeter readout shows 180-240 feet before I 'pucker'?

I think MProse should rescale the altitudes, at least below 1K feet.

2. Need Fer Speed
Have you ever tried taking the game down
/really/ low and uppint the speed to X2?

I think it looks -super- and even found landings to be 'easier' with less extended float getting to the threshold (my scatter goes to H but that's another story...;p).

At anyrate, I would -very much- like to try /combat/ at this accel rate and was thinking of writing to MProse and asking that at least X2 acceleration be made available when 'enemy are near'.

Would any of you support either move?

Thanks- Kurt Plummer

Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 10-06-1999 07:06 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Kurt

Maybe zis is too obvious to have missed- but do you use the ASL or radar/radio altimeter?- You could still be showing quite a "high" reading, if you use the "old fashioned" one- ? Nein?

BTW- Thanks for the links to the Me 410 websites- really enjoyed myself !

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
TonyH
Member # 110

posted 10-06-1999 10:10 AM     Profile for TonyH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey Kurt, I'd support your idea for x2 speed. I too think it would be a blast. I also don't think it be too hard to do.
Posts: 287 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 10-06-1999 12:12 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks.

Edwin, I'm glad you're getting some use from the LINKS, if you ever feel like translating that one German page (even the 'cliffnotes version' I wouldn't mind.

I've been using the 'HUD' (funkiest darn term
I can imagine for a /lower left/ dataset... reading so if one of the lower-array instruments is AGL instead of ASL oriented, by all means let me know.

((Manual? Who needs no Steenking /manual/?? )

Tony. Looks like I'll be sending along a little post to the folks at MProse. Should the Big Men actually deign speak to such a little consumer, I will let you all know what they have to say.

Kurt Plummer

Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-06-1999 03:52 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Kurt...in your display options you can choose either ASL or AGL alt. settings. ASL is historically accurate as WWII A/C did not have radar/radio alts. You prob have ASL selected.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 10-06-1999 04:17 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Actually some Lancasters had "Terrain mapping radar" which I think is a type of radar altimeter. If its not, I don't know what it was, the Brits had a big debate about wether to equip combat aircraft with it because they were afraid the Germans might get it from the wreckage of a downed aircraft. They ended up deploying on combat aircraft though, to the best of my knowledge the Germans never got it.
Other than that though, I can't think of any WWII aircraft with any kind of altimeter besides the standard old ASL type.

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-06-1999 04:27 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I don't know if the radar was strictly for altitude measurement. You are right, the British had working airborne radar early on in the war, but were very reluctant to actually deploy aircraft with radar for fear of the Luft. salvaging the techonolgy from downed planes.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 10-07-1999 12:20 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Kurt

Zum befehl!- If you have an e-mail addie that I can send ze "translation" to, I will be happy to oblige- posting it to ze forum might not be the "right" thing to do? nein.

E.R.
Ps. I think you have the ASL option on in your display preferences, I tried it last night, and the elevation of my home-base runway changed by nearly 200m !
Pss. Later ze zame day- Ze translation ist done- I await dein further befehl

[This message has been edited by Edwin Rommel (edited 10-07-1999).]

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
juzz
Member # 31

posted 10-07-1999 01:26 AM     Profile for juzz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I find it amazing the amount of technology planes in WW2 carried that people generally aren't aware of.

German nightfighters carried radio altimeters, radio compasses, and blind approach receivers (like an early ILS).

They used the "Lichtenstein" airborne radar, and also carried the "Flensburg" and "Naxos" which homed in on the signals from the "Monica" rear warning radar, and the H2S ground mapping radar carried by British bombers. I believe "Naxos" was also used as a rear warning system against the Mosquito by the German nightfighters.

The British bombers also had other systems, like the "Gee" and "Oboe" navigation aids, and various ECM/ECCM devices like "Airborne Cigar" to jam German radar and radio signals.

The Americans also had bombing radar (BTO?) fitted to B-17's in place of the ball turret, and fitted to B-29's also.

Then theres all the anti-shipping radar both sides had (ASV, Hohentwiel), the radio-guided missiles the Germans used, etc...

The question is, how come no prop sim will go near this stuff, yet jet sims are full of complex avionics and realistic radar systems?

The only thing we have had is in WW2F and SDOE, the German planes have AFN homing indicators.

Maybe one day someone will make a combat prop sim with all the GA trimmings like proper radio comms and navigation aids etc.

Posts: 125 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.