Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Best rollenundpitchenmekkenpuckenschtick for EAW?

Author Topic: Best rollenundpitchenmekkenpuckenschtick for EAW?
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 10-05-1999 04:25 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mein Herren

Ich realize zat as with ze favourite A/C, und graphics cards und, und......., und zu weiter I vill get a million opinions on zis! Everyvon has zere favourite joystick - Now gentlemen- zis is a serious kwestion- hands above ze tables- schnell !!!!

Meiner joystick has gebrochen (GeniusIIFLightpro (probably a local Sud-Afrikanisher clone of a "real" vun))- What would you Herren recommend- and ist "force-feedback" a must- I would like zomethink wiv "endurability"- but not too expenzive nein!

Danke

E.R.
Ps. Please keep ze answers "on topic"- Ich know it is tempting!!!

[This message has been edited by Edwin Rommel (edited 10-05-1999).]

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 10-05-1999 01:29 PM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
FF is a must. Not only does it add to the feel of the game, it's invaluable when you're riding the stall. You get a much better feel.
I have a MSSWPFF that I'm very satisfied with.

------------------

Der Opa

Posts: 710 | From: Sandnes, Rogaland, Norway | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-05-1999 01:45 PM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I stick (sorry didnt mean it HAHAH) with the old reliables of Flightsim's glory days the CH Flightstick PRO (buck rogers/battlestar galactica special) and CH pedals(TM rudders broke =( but CH still going strong!!) this is all i need for a WW2 style flightsim where all you need to do is know where they are and pull the trigger.. for F4 or F15 or any other modern sim it really SUCKS!! hahaha not suck but is very inadequate for all the RADAR this ECM that etc.
Posts: 4364 | From: NYC, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 10-05-1999 01:59 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I use a ThrustMaster F-22 Pro and F-16 TQS. It works quite well, but you have to be willing to program it.
Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 10-05-1999 02:44 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have a Thrustmaster F22 Pro, but am still using my F16 FLCS along with an F16 TQS throttle and CH Pro Pedals.

The TM stick and throttle can be picked up at Buy.com for a little over $200, but you'll pay $300 or more if you buy direct from Thrustmaster.

Suncom has a great setup with their F-15 Talon and SFS Series Throttle. I have 48 possible button combinations with my stick and 64 possible button combinations with my throttle, so I seldom ever touch the keyboard except to type messages in chat. The stick is only $39 and the throttle is $89.

Suncom was my setup of choice for years before I purchased a Thrustmaster HOTAS. The Thrustmaster HOTAS was a real pain in the arse (for me) to program till I got the hang of it, but it's well worth the effort.

I had a CH Force FX stick and I can't knock it. It was a great stick.

Sidewinder sticks are a great all in one solution since you have your throttle, rudders, and stick all in one neat little package. It's just that I could never get into using my 3D Pro to fly my sims when the stick looked like a scale model of the spaceships from War of the Worlds. I guess an F-16 replica stick looks a little out of place in a Mustang though. :-)

Rudders will run you around $70 or more. They're a must IMO.

Airbuddha http://users.ezwv.com/~buddha/EAW.htm

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 10-05-1999 08:13 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Force Feedback is the only way to fly. It adds so much to the game. I use a MS FF stick. I really like the rudder on stick, and the FF gain is adjustable. If you set gain to max, you will get a workout. The effect when you approach a hard stall is so well done. I can't stand non FF sticks now. Seperate rudder pedals may be more "realistic", but this is a game that you play in a comfy chair looking at a little bitty ol screen. You get visual clues from the screen, the speakers and with FF, the joystick. In a real plane you are connected to it by the seat of your pants, so to speak. In a game, you lose many sensations; primarily G-forces. FF helps put some of that feel back.
Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 10-06-1999 12:09 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Mein Herren

What is ze durabilty/longevity on ze FF sticks like?- I've played three "normal" sticks to destruction, and it getting to be an expensive habbit- A FF is far more pricey in my part of the world, and I would hate spending "a lot" on something with more "moveable parts" that can wear out? Or is zis false economy- ?

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
LLv34_Snefens
Member # 72

posted 10-06-1999 08:46 AM     Profile for LLv34_Snefens   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Got that nasty joystick buying habbit too before I got a FF

I bought a Logitech Wingman Force but no pedals, although there should be little problems adding those I've heard.

The life-time of FF-sticks are generally higher than normal sticks. As they don't rely on small metal springs that easily break, but instead on a steel-cable drive that is a little more durable.

So far I have been using it intensively for 6+ months, and it is showing no sign on breakup whatsoever. I can still play games with maximum sensibilty and minimum deadzone without unwanted jinks, but I wouldn't be suprised if it broke just as my guarantee runs out ....Nah I think it will hold.

LLv34_Snefens

Posts: 329 | From: Aarhus, Denmark | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 10-06-1999 12:40 PM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I would recommend either a Force Feeback stick like the Logitech model (I believe it's called Wingman Force or something like that) or the CH Force FX stick. Those are good if you want to feel the effects of the prop and the guns, and for EAW players that's obviously a good thing.

However, if you're going for maximum programmability and you want the best, I can only recommend the F-22 and Throttle Quadrant System. For the all-around player, or even a prop player who wants a realistic stick with an incredible variety of commands (I think I have every pertinent EAW command programmed into my setup) then those should be your choice.

If you are looking at any Jet sim to accompany EAW, then the F-22 and TQS will be a much better choice than the FF sticks. Force Feedback is nice, but if you're still stabbing at the keyboard to drop your combat flaps, your joystick isn't doing its job.

Basically, it's all a question of personal preference... you have to look around and see what fits your needs. Try http://computershopper.zdnet.com for some price-comparing. Good luck!

------------------
-KMHPaladin
- "The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his
area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy
fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish."
Baron Manfred von Richthofen, 1917
- [email protected]

[This message has been edited by KMHPaladin (edited 10-06-1999).]

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 10-07-1999 05:47 PM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Any of you WW2 pilots(eaw/mcfs/janes etc)use the Saitek Pc dash or anything similar ?

Any good for that little extra realism?

I am curently using a Saitek hotas with Tm pedals...

Thx

Posts: 1148 | From: london/uk | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.