Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Why the Spit is so popular

Author Topic: Why the Spit is so popular
CFrancisco
Member # 33

posted 10-04-1999 06:59 AM     Profile for CFrancisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok OK,

I am the ultimate lover of German crates i mean cmon i'm the guy who loves to take the most ugly and slow bird in EAW and take it to the enemies airfield and go nuts but...

While speaking to a real life RAF flyer (Czech) about Spit performance against the MEs and FWs i took one up on the zone online and marveled at how this baby turns on a dime and recovers rapidly from the stall.. one word can say it SWEET! thats all i can say about that... the only problem is i had a tendency to fly it like an ME and thats where i went wrong so i got goose eggs OH well live and learn.. =)

I have also in honor of this old gent who is actually a close friend of my wife's family started a Czech Sqd for EAW to serve as an OPFOR unit for my beloved JG52 this will give me a chance to fly the Spit without feeling a bit traitorous hehehehe und zen ze FAT MAN wont know.. LOL and to try to have more people learn about the Czech flyers of WW2 of which there is very little information on the internet to be found... i hope this gent will lend me his pictures so that i might be able to include them on the page

So I OFFICIALLY open No 313 Squadron Czech "Dobre Rano" "Mluvite Czesky?"
SdrLdr Karel Francisek .... =) Ahoj

Posts: 4364 | From: NYC, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
bravo45
Member # 57

posted 10-04-1999 01:21 PM     Profile for bravo45   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I also found out that the Spit is the most fun to fly. It could out-turn anything the Germans got. Without any fancy maneuvering, you could get inside your opponent real quick. With many German or American planes, you really have to pay attention when you try to turn quickly, or your plane will spin out of control.
Posts: 88 | From: Pocatello, Idaho, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Volt
Member # 343

posted 10-04-1999 02:54 PM     Profile for JG5_Volt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Spits are the no brain plane of EAW for the geeks. It takes a real man to fly an Emil.
Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Volt
Member # 343

posted 10-04-1999 03:00 PM     Profile for JG5_Volt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Should have also said it takes patience to learn how to fly the more "difficult" planes online as I am finding out! and I don't believe that some of the people attracted by combat flying have that judging by some of the attitudes displayed.
I just missed you on the Zone Sunday Night Von Hess, I am looking forward to flying with and learning from you.

[This message has been edited by JG5_Volt (edited 10-04-1999).]

Mad_B4
unregistered

posted 10-04-1999 03:30 PM       Edit/Delete Post
Herr Vonhess
It was great fun to fly against you and your J52 Comrades Sat and my thanks go out to the S7 guys for allowing me to fly with them
What an crazy mix of characters.It was almost a shame to end all the antics by taking to the air lol
Now about those Boots

Mad

IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 10-04-1999 06:32 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I prefer the Spit because of the history attached to it, because of its elegant lines, because it performs like it looks and because it is a joy to fly.
That said, it is also fun to take Gustavs, without the gun pack, against B-17s. I like the way the Gustav handles almost as much as I like how the Spit performs.

Oh, and it doesn't make it stupid to fly just because its good.

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-04-1999 10:24 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I beg to differ with Mr. Volt. If you can hold your own in a Mk Ia against an Emil 3 or 4 flown by a pilot who knows how to fight his A/C, you have accomplished much. There are easier planes to fly in EAW. In the Ia at least, you really need to watch your RPM's. Don't take much to cook an engine. Also those .303's require careful shot selection and the ability to line yourself up "upclose and personal".
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gestapo
unregistered

posted 10-05-1999 02:04 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Knock, Knock

Vho ist dere?

Zis ist der Gestapo, und around here ve ask ze kwestions !!

It has come to our attention zat von of our fliegers has disappeared and now von of our ozer flieger has not only removed ECA from his computer, but also no longer flies ze glorious Stuka, but flyink an Tommy flieger- zis ist not gut!!

Ve are vatshink- be carefull!!

Heinrich H.- Oberst

IP: Logged
Lemsko
Member # 502

posted 10-05-1999 02:14 AM     Profile for Lemsko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi,
if you fly the Spit like a 109 you don't make any faults. Only turn for the kill, don't turn for the fight. In the Spit you have the option to begin a turnfight, but if you apply e-tactics the Spit is also a formidable plane. It does both very well.

Lemsko

Posts: 2 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Opa
Member # 125

posted 10-05-1999 01:27 PM     Profile for Opa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Flying the spit is like driving a car with automatic transmission.(not sure if this is what I mean. Technical translation is not my strongest side) Boring. I stick with the Emil. Besides, the only plane that compares with the Emil in pure beauty is the Franz.
No harm intented to any spit-pilots, btw. Just voicing my opinion...

------------------

Der Opa

Posts: 710 | From: Sandnes, Rogaland, Norway | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG5_Volt
Member # 343

posted 10-05-1999 02:55 PM     Profile for JG5_Volt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My first post was meant to be tongue in cheek but in "my" opinion the Spit is the easier plane for a novice to start out in, and I am a novice, I just prefer to fly Emil's. I have also discovered that I was just unlucky with the people I encountered at first on the zone as everyone subsequently couldn't have been more pleasant.
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-05-1999 06:28 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I agree completely that the spit is easier to fly than the 109, by a lot. The reason beginners, IMO, like the spit is almost everyone's concept of dogfighting is turn-fighting. Energy-fighters are a different beast to tame. Energy fighting requires a different approach to flying and is more difficult to master.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.