Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Avaition Trivia (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Avaition Trivia
juzz
Member # 31

posted 10-03-1999 12:10 PM     Profile for juzz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Easy one: When the Me163 Komet was first flown on a combat mission, it had a unique paintjob. What was it?

Tailspin: The highest jump was made from a U-2 spyplane? - hmm, wait a second, just read this:

quote:
Capt. Joseph Kittinger rode a balloon up to 103,000 feet in an open gondola and then stepped out and free-fell to earth to become the only person to break the sound barrier without a vehicle.
maybe it's that one

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 10-03-1999).]

Posts: 125 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 10-03-1999 12:42 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
By the condition of the propeller. If the blades are bent at the tips, then it was turning as it hit the ground. If only one blade is bent, then the engine was not turning. Or, if you were at Oshkosh last summer, you could ask for one of several hundred video tapes which recorded the takeoff crash of a Corsair and a Bearcat. This was probably the most viewed and recorded crash of all time.
Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 10-03-1999 12:50 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Major Lee

Only one star on that answer, the condition of the prop is correct. The more correct reason is

engine producing full power, the propeller blades will be curved forward, if at idle or windmilling the propeller blades will be curved backward towards the cockpit. It is rare that only one blade will be damaged in an accident but it can/will happen.

VonGunn

Posts: 377 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-03-1999 02:03 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
juzz...yep, thats is. I thought the "air craft" might throw you off.
Saw the documentary on this on TV. Man, those guys were nuts!

[This message has been edited by Tailspin (edited 10-03-1999).]

Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
juzz
Member # 31

posted 10-05-1999 05:30 AM     Profile for juzz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Check out this site for a shockwave game to do with the highest jump - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/escape/skydive.html

Any takers on the paint question?

KK
unregistered

posted 10-05-1999 05:56 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Me163 Color -> Some kind of Bright Red (Burdeos wine's Red)
IP: Logged
juzz
Member # 31

posted 10-05-1999 08:47 PM     Profile for juzz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
KK is correct, he gets a cookie

For the first combat mission of the Me163, on May 14, 1944, PK+QL was painted red all over by the ground crew in reference to the infamous "Red Baron" paintjob.

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.