Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Avaition Trivia (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Avaition Trivia
VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 09-30-1999 11:26 AM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I thought A thread to test our/your knowledge about avaition in general would be neat

1. What aircraft was not equiped with
rudder pedals?

2. In WWII US Naval Designations, what do
the letters C, M, and Y refrence?

3. also define all letters and numbers in
in these designations F4F-3, PBY-5

Ok...fire off all the right answers and more questions

VonGunn

Posts: 377 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 09-30-1999 03:36 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok, I'll show off my ignorance!
1. The Wright Flyer he,he.
2. Manufacturer codes? Don't know who's what.
3. Uhh..fighter...Uhhh.... Patrol Bomber??? help???
Ok, if F is Grumman. Then M is General Motors as in TBM...Torpedo bomber(Avenger)GM-made.
C is for Curtis (SB2C Helldiver)
and using reference books is cheating!!

[This message has been edited by Tailspin (edited 09-30-1999).]

Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
DerAdler
Member # 439

posted 09-30-1999 04:00 PM     Profile for DerAdler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm at work and don't have any references in front of me, but I will give it a shot.

Question 2: I believe "C" denotes a composite squadron and "M" denotes a Marine squadron. I don't know about "Y."

Question 3: The first "F" denotes a fighter aircraft, the "4" denotes the fourth design by the manufacturer, the second "F" denotes Grumman as the manufacturer, and the "-3" denotes the third variant of the specific aircraft type. As for PB, I think the "PB" stands for patrol bomber, "Y" denotes manufacturer (Consolidated?), and the "-5" denotes the fifth variant of the specific aircraft type.

Posts: 8 | From: Tennessee, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 09-30-1999 04:46 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Here's an easy one.1. What was odd or different about the F4F's landing gear?
2. Speaking of landing gear-The F6F and F4U used main gear that rotated and folded straight back. What USAAF fighter also had this gear configuration?
3. What was unique about the Tigercat?

Clarification on the F4F question..This feature was probably AFAIK the last time it was used on a US fighter.

Karnak
Member # 139

posted 09-30-1999 04:55 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Tigercat had two engines. I think thats it.
Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Karnak
Member # 139

posted 09-30-1999 04:55 PM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Here's one. How many guns did the first Spitfires have, what was different about the canopy and describe the airscrew on it. Oh, and what was the Mk # on it, and on the next one.

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 09-30-1999).]

Posts: 461 | From: San Rafael, California, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 09-30-1999 05:36 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well i've seen pictures of the prototype Spit. Had a 2-blade prop. probably fixed and wooden? THe canopy was flat-no buldge. Guns?-Never seen any with less that 8 .303's. MK-1?

Yep. The F7F Tigercat was a twin-engined single seat fighter.

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 09-30-1999 09:15 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Cool...learn something new every day...thanks guys

Good job with my questions

the Aircoup built in the late 30's was the only aircraft built in the US for general avaition that didn't have rudder pedals. The rudder was moved by turning the yolk. It was co-ordinated with the ailerons as a marketing ploy. As easy to fly as driving your car.

Y=Consolidated Aircraft Corp. in US navy designations most of the time
You guys have stumped me with the spits questions......Keep it up

VonGunn

MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 09-30-1999 09:16 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The F4F had a nice, one arm power hand crank landing gear. Wildcat pilots were good at flying inverted, this made it easier to crank the landing gear up. Oh yes, the P40 had some neat turn and fold gear also. You can see the Tigercat, and four other warbirds in flight at www.airzoo.org. I have warbird video at my aerodrome www.kvi.net/~majorlee Major Lee.

[This message has been edited by MajorLee (edited 09-30-1999).]

Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 09-30-1999 09:18 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Tailspin: The F4F had a Scissors type of strut that retracted the gear at an angle into the forward fuse under the engine. USAAF aircraft that used a Back And rotate gear was the P-40 warhawk

VonGunn

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 09-30-1999 09:20 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Major Lee you must type faster than me LOL

VonGunn

MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 09-30-1999 09:43 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, VonGunn. I did not think I would ever be told I typed faster than anyone. I do use a refined H & P typing style.....Major Lee
Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 09-30-1999 09:44 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The hand cranked gear and fuselage mounting is correct. As is the P-40.
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 09-30-1999 09:57 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Bell X-1 rocket plane. Designers were breaking new ground concerning aerodynamics. In the age of slide rules and no computer-aided design programs, what object was modeled as a basic pattern for this A/C shape?
VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 09-30-1999 10:17 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thats easy....the so called best ballistic shape of its time.....I'll answer it if someone else doesn't in a while....
Straffo_EAF329
Member # 111

posted 10-01-1999 01:41 AM     Profile for Straffo_EAF329     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It was modelled from a bullet but I doesn't recall wich one !
Perhap colt 45 ?

Posts: 30 | From: France | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
KK
unregistered

posted 10-01-1999 04:53 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Probably around the German V-1, The X-1 had the same rocket-like fuselage and rectangular wings.

Kike.

IP: Logged
TonyH
Member # 110

posted 10-01-1999 05:10 AM     Profile for TonyH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The first operational spits was I think where the MK1 ( not 1A )with a single pitch wooden two blade prop. It had no Malcom hood ( ie no bluge ) and it armament was four .303 machine guns.

Tony

Posts: 287 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 10-01-1999 06:19 AM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
How about the U.S. fighter with the highest kill/loss ratio?
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 10-01-1999 07:17 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
US fighter with the best kill-loss ratio hmmm...Could be the Thunderbolt, but I read somewhere that the F-4U had an 11:1 kill/loss ratio and that's pretty spiffy so I'll go with the Corsair.

Schattenjaeger

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 10-01-1999 07:20 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
For the X-1, yeah the wings look like a V-1 but the body itself looks more like a V-2. The first ballistic missile, so if the ballistic part is a sneaky hint then I'd say the V-2. Hell, I'll say the V-2 anyhow. Werner probably helped them build it anyway.

Schattenjaeger

Schatten
Member # 93

posted 10-01-1999 07:24 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Here's one:

What was the first fighter ever to fire a _guided_ air to air missile?

Schattenjaeger (again)

JWC
Member # 116

posted 10-01-1999 08:00 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
US fighter with highest kill ratio: wasn't that the Hellcat?
Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 10-01-1999 08:20 AM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm gonna go waaaaay out thar and say:

1. X-1 = .50 caliber bullet. I think the V-2 was similarly modelled, though perhaps on the 13mm MG-131? The more I learn in the EAW thread, the more the round seems to have been a strike of genious for 'somebody'.

2. For U.S. an F-10 Skynight I think? I seem to recall a video at the China Lake or White Sands museum showing this 'very first' launch anyway.

Now if you go further back I'd guess that some version or other of the X-4 off a 190F-8 would be a gut candidate. It might also be that A-to-A modified Hs.293, though I don't know if it was ever used 'in public'.

3. And here is where we go /off the deep end/... I'm gonna say one of the Brewster Buffalo versions has the highest U.S.ian kill ratio. Read it in a Smithsonian A&M I think.

Them Finns, they sure know how to _Par-Teh_. Must be all the snow, inhibits their natural 'socialization skills'...

KP

DerAdler
Member # 439

posted 10-01-1999 08:28 AM     Profile for DerAdler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Here's one for you technical types:

The Bell P-63A (a good aircraft that stacked up well against the P-51 or the P-47) had its Allison V-1710 mounted behind the pilot like its P-39 predecessor. Name the one other feature of the P-63A's engine setup that was unique among American WWII fighters.

DerAdler

Schatten
Member # 93

posted 10-01-1999 09:23 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
*dingdingding*

You're right Kurt the first air launch of a guided air to air missile was in fact a test firing of a Ruhrstahl X-4 off a Fw-190A8 on August 11, 1944. Tests continued through February '45 and also using Ju-88's (they were wise to pick this mighty zerstorer to carry this wunderweapon ja?) and Me-262's.

Annnnnd the winner gets...a link that anyone else can follow. Most demokratic Ja...
http://visi.net/~djohnson/missile/x-4.html is an interesting corner of the Luft '46 webpage that tells all about the X-4. Notice especially the joystick to guide the missile which is giving me Atari 2600 flashbacks...Seriously, if you have one of the old 2600 joysticks laying around rip off the rubber grip part and then compare. Spooky I say.

Schattenjaeger (Dating myself, not literally...)

[This message has been edited by Schatten (edited 10-01-1999).]

Karnak
Member # 139

posted 10-01-1999 09:52 AM     Profile for Karnak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
TonyH got the answers to my post.

I read in one book that the Spitfire was our highest kill/loss ratio aircraft. That may have been just applicable to North Africa/Mediterenean/European theatres or just for aircraft that actually face opposition and wern't shooting down trainees (e.g. Marianas Turkey Shoot where we were mostly shooting Imperial Army flight trainees). In any case its not really an American aircraft, which is why the book said the numbers were not widely publisized, the propaganda people want stories of American boys doing great in American equipment. The book was American, and the info was being provided by one of our guys who flew the Spit.

Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-01-1999 11:24 AM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Answer to the X-1 question...the .50cal. bullet. BTW the V-2 was modelled on the 7.92mm projectile.
I'm going to say the Hellcat had the highest kill ratio.

Here's another easy one: Name the 1st operational US fighter able to reach super-sonic speed in level flight.

[This message has been edited by Tailspin (edited 10-01-1999).]

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 10-01-1999 01:02 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Tailspin....F-104 starfighter?.

What does the little propeller on the front of the ME-163 komet do?

Ha ha guys....besides go round and round and round

JG52_VonGunn

[This message has been edited by VonGunn (edited 10-01-1999).]

Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-01-1999 01:42 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
BZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Sorry VonGunn,wrong answer.
Please try again.
Spinner powered a generator to run all the electrical systems in flight. (I think?)

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 10-01-1999 02:17 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Good show Tailspin, that is correct. The smaller prop in front did run a generator for inflight electrical systems.

Ok....second guess F-86 Sabre
JG52_VonGunn

Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-01-1999 02:41 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nope...The F-86 could acheive mach in a dive, but not in level flight. You're getting closer!
Blade
Member # 295

posted 10-01-1999 02:59 PM     Profile for Blade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Could that be the F100. First op USAF AC to go supersonic in level flight.

Blade

Posts: 158 | From: Nepean, Onatrio, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 10-01-1999 03:29 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The U.S. fighter with the highest kill/loss ratio was the F6F Hellcat. Not the Jug, not the Mustang, and I was not talking about foreign aircraft, since I do not know about them. Here is another question: What was the civilian job for the Grumman F7F Tigercat, after they were retired from the military? CLue: "hot" pilots were needed for this job.... MajorLee
DerAdler
Member # 439

posted 10-01-1999 03:31 PM     Profile for DerAdler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My guess for the first U.S. fighter to go supersonic in level flight would be the F-101.

[This message has been edited by DerAdler (edited 10-01-1999).]

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 10-01-1999 03:43 PM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Major Lee Waterbombers

JG52_VonGunn

Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 10-01-1999 06:41 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
DING,DING,DING,DING
F-100 is correct!
Whats the answer to the P-63 engine question?

What was the highest altitude(aprox. alt. is close enough) and from what air craft,is the record parachute jump?

MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 10-01-1999 07:37 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A shiny gold star for VonGunn, the F7F Tigercats were used as fire fighting water bombers. And they look cool at air shows, too.( www.airzoo.org - movie clips section ) Now, imagine a civilian company trying to build one in todays atmosphere of lawyers, liability and litigation....
DerAdler
Member # 439

posted 10-03-1999 12:37 AM     Profile for DerAdler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Answer to P-63 engine question:

The P-63A's V-1710 had an auxiliary stage supercharger with a mechanical drive shaft and a hydraulic coupling. Unlike gear-driven superchargers, this hydraulic coupling allowed for an infinitely variable impeller speed which increased with altitude. The P-63A's graphs of horsepower or speed versus altitude are smooth curves with none of the zigzags one would see with a gear-driven auxiliary stage (as in the P-51B/D). For the pilot this meant absolutely smooth operation at all altitudes with none of the noticeable performance "jumps" that a gear-driven blower would produce when it kicked in or changed speeds. BTW, this engine setup at combat power could produce 1,820 hp at sea level and 1,150 hp at 25,000 feet. This is not too shabby for an engine that most considered to be a dog. Hopefully, this is an aircraft that we would see in any new Eastern front sim. (It was never used in combat by the USAAF. Most went to the Soviets.) On paper, it could hold its own against the Bf 109G/K or the Fw 190A/D.

DerAdler

VonGunn
Member # 313

posted 10-03-1999 09:35 AM     Profile for VonGunn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
When an Aircraft Crashes how can you tell if the engine had full power or was out or at idle?

VonGunn

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.