Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » How to master a p-47?

Author Topic: How to master a p-47?
Fernando
unregistered

posted 09-30-1999 07:57 PM       Edit/Delete Post
The jug is my favorite plane in E.A.W. I would like to know what tactics real p-47 pilots used. I read that the jug had a phenomenal roll rate so it outmaneuver enemy aircrafts that were capable of tighter turns, and pilots took advantage of it. What is that means? Is out there any book about the jug.
Thanks

IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 09-30-1999 08:57 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Let me reccomend three books: Robert Johnson's "Thunderbolt", Roger Freeman's "Zemke's Wolfpack", and David McLaren's "Beware the Thunderbolt". Robert Johnson describes in great detail the tactics used to make each of his 27 air to air kills. The roll rate of the P47 is fair, its turns ok, but its real strength is its power, both guns and engine. It took quite a while for the GAF to figure out that they should not try to split-s and dive away from a seven ton, 2300 horsepower airplane. If an enemy does the split-s in front of you, follow him. If he goes vertical, follow if you have sufficient airspeed to pull through the loop. If not, just continue in a climbing turn, and catch the bandit when he comes out at the top of his loop. Otherwise, keep up your airspeed and use "boom and zoom". Altitude is your friend, keep lots of it under you. Make diving passes, and pull back up to higher altitude, and then make another pass. The eight fifty caliber machineguns inflicted terrible damage, especially at the convergence point, which was about 250 yards. Go to http://www.kvi.net/~majorlee for more information about the P47, and the 56th Fighter Group. Major Lee.
Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
cobraj
Member # 459

posted 10-01-1999 10:46 AM     Profile for cobraj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
hey fernando, major lee is right on with the books, probably the best that i liked was "thunderbolt, by robert s. johnson, who recently just passed away sadly, but I think i read that book 50x LOL!!,his description of nursing his shot up plane over the channel, while being trapped inside unable to bail out, while being shot up by one of the abbeville boys, is just an incredible feat that he was able to get that jug home, the book is out of print, but may be found on amazon.com i think for under 20 bucks, paper back only . good luck in your future flights in the jug...
Posts: 2367 | From: pahked just outside of Boston | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.