my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » Problems with speed in IL-2

Author Topic: Problems with speed in IL-2
<Butcher>
unregistered

posted 02-12-2002 04:13 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have problems catching up with the other plans! When I turn on the Auto pilot ther i some increase in speed but turning it off results in decreasing in speed again. I can't fly with WEP on all the time!!!!!! The engine get's overheaded.

What to do!!!

Please help a lonly Danish propeller head

IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 02-13-2002 12:54 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a recognised problem...sort of!. You shouldn't have a problem when you get up to cruising speed. I just let the autopilot take off and catch up and then I take over the controls.
The theory is the ai pilot uses the engine more efficiently (radiator flaps etc) but you cannot hope to copy what he does. Combat is not a problem just take off right?

--------------------

"Will someone get this bloody lobster claw out of my back?"-Adolf Galland ME-109F2 April 1941

Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zhukov
Member # 4446

posted 02-13-2002 06:11 AM     Profile for Zhukov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shoot at them to get their attention. Maybe they'll turn around and play with you.

Seriously, study the performance characteristics of your plane and the enemy's planes. Sometimes your plane may perform better at a higher or lower altitude so you may be able to get a speed advantage by climbing or diving.

Also, you can open and close your radiator to cool the engine (the 'R' key, if I remember correctly).

Z

--------------------

"Didja ever notice that guy who pulls out right in front of you, then slows down to 30? Then whenever you get to a passing zone, he speeds up... Then the double solids return, and he's back to 30. And keeps his left turn signal on the whole time? Hitler was much worse than that guy" -- overheard on plastic.com

Posts: 4315 | From: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
tpiscit
Member # 9430

posted 02-14-2002 02:54 PM     Profile for tpiscit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have noticed the same problem. If I take the aircraft off of auto pilot, I fall way behind. I don't know that the theory that the AI makes better use of the engine though. Wouldn't the settings stay the same when disengaging the autopilot. As soon as I do, the revs drop and I immediately begin to fall back. I don't think that it is a problem with joystick calibration, as the power reads 100%.

Generally, I chalk it up to the fact that airplanes perform differently. Being the member of least rank, it would make sense that I would be assigned the worst aircraft. But while that may be enough to keep me from getting too frustrated while flying, it's still just BS'ing myself.

Also, I don't recall noticing this before the 1.03 patch. I am now flying a Lagg 3, which I was not before the patch as well, so it may be related to the aircraft AI.

Tim

Posts: 2 | From: Indianapolis, IN, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.