my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » More realistic tally-modeling

Author Topic: More realistic tally-modeling
Sleipner
unregistered

posted 12-11-2000 02:23 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I play simulations frequently, and enjoy a good WWII-som more than anything. But there's one thing I miss. There seems to be no recording of shared kills, probable kills and damage to enemy planes. Not even in the newer sims.

This was a most important aspect of scoring, especially for allied pilots during WWII. I think a sim would be more realistic with this system built into it. I would like to know what other sim'ers think about this

IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 12-15-2000 12:25 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sleipner, I am in complete agreement with you. In campaign mode in EAW, I keep track of my own victories this way! (i.e., applying the same criteria, as I understand it, as the air forces in WWII used) As an Allied pilot, I try to figure out which kills could have been confirmed by gun camera film or my wingman (pilot bailing out, wing coming off, etc.), and which would have been only probables. I also try to determine which should be shared victories (RAF) and fractional (USAAF). As a German pilot, I try to figure out who was most responsible for a shared victory; when I am in command I give the kill to a lower-ranking pilot.

The only real problem is that many people who play flight sims probably don't care that much about the history involved. That is unfortunate, but seems to be true. They want kills, and lots of them. Others, like you and me, seem to prefer as much realism and authenticity as we can get. Perhaps what sim designers should do is offer two separate scoring modes to choose from: something like "default" and "historic".

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.