my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » Aces collection is available for download

Author Topic: Aces collection is available for download
'
Member # 3472

posted 12-10-2000 10:52 AM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup. Go for it. It's a must have. I didn't finish downloading, yet. So I don't know how it would run on a modern machine. It was great on 386. I hope it doesn't run like Falcon 3.0
It is NOT a warez site. It's the best site on the NET , which provides the games you've never seen in stores, and the games you can not buy anymore.
Do not try to download more than 1 game, or you'll be banned, for some time. It's fair enough.
Just wanted to share. http://www.theunderdogs.org/news.php

Posts: 445 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ArgonV
Member # 5888

posted 12-11-2000 06:08 AM     Profile for ArgonV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dynamix Aces Pack? If thats the case, go here for addons to AoE! (Aces Over Europe)
http://ArgonV.tripod.com/AoE_Page.html

Posts: 359 | From: League City, Texas, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
BritBuster
Member # 5684

posted 12-18-2000 11:39 AM     Profile for BritBuster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi folks & Thanx for this site!
A special "Horrido" goes to ArgonV: Wonderful Add-Ons for AoE! Some other:
- Spanish Civil War (Legion Condor, Falange AF, Republican AF)
- Balkan 1941 (Luftwaffe, Jouguslavian AF, Greek AF, Bulgarian AF)
- North Africa 1941-43 (RA, Luftwaffe, USAAF, RAF)
- Italy 1943-45 (ANR, Luftwaffe, USAAF, RAF)

I've been going down in the cellar, clean the AoE Box from the Dust and installed it, then the AoE 1945 Campaign: WOW! It's FUNtastic Game! The Career-Mode of AoE is a thing, what I'm missing in todays WWII-Sims!
Except for European Airwar, none Sim has it! Look at Jane's WWII-Fighters: Great GFX/SFX, but you hadn't the feeling of flying with your Wing-Men! Again Great site!

Thanx & CheckSix,
BritBuster!

PS: I'm searching for "Over the Reich (PC)" from Avalon Hill Games, but I can't find it in the stores here in Germany! Is there a site in the Net, from which I can download it?

[This message has been edited by BritBuster (edited 12-18-2000).]

Posts: 36 | From: Essen, Germany | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
mjc
Member # 3149

posted 12-18-2000 12:21 PM     Profile for mjc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BritBuster:
Hi folks & Thanx for this site!
A special "Horrido" goes to ArgonV: Wonderful Add-Ons for AoE! Some other:
- Spanish Civil War (Legion Condor, Falange AF, Republican AF)
- Balkan 1941 (Luftwaffe, Jouguslavian AF, Greek AF, Bulgarian AF)
- North Africa 1941-43 (RA, Luftwaffe, USAAF, RAF)
- Italy 1943-45 (ANR, Luftwaffe, USAAF, RAF)

I've been going down in the cellar, clean the AoE Box from the Dust and installed it, then the AoE 1945 Campaign: WOW! It's FUNtastic Game! The Career-Mode of AoE is a thing, what I'm missing in todays WWII-Sims!
Except for European Airwar, none Sim has it! Look at Jane's WWII-Fighters: Great GFX/SFX, but you hadn't the feeling of flying with your Wing-Men! Again Great site!

Thanx & CheckSix,
BritBuster!

PS: I'm searching for "Over the Reich (PC)" from Avalon Hill Games, but I can't find it in the stores here in Germany! Is there a site in the Net, from which I can download it?

[This message has been edited by BritBuster (edited 12-18-2000).]

BritBuster:

Regards OTR, check out www.battlefront.com I believe Big Time Software is part of this operation since AH folded. Don't know if it's available though....

mjc

[This message has been edited by mjc (edited 12-18-2000).]

Posts: 45 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
bolillo_loco
Member # 7641

posted 12-19-2000 05:06 PM     Profile for bolillo_loco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
do you mean that dynamix's aces over europe is still out there and can be used? I bought the sim about 4 years ago, but was never able to play it. it always said my computer didnt have enough memory and I was never able to make a boot disk. even with a P11 450 it said I didnt have enough memory, I have 16 gigs.
Posts: 65 | From: Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flash Gordon
Member # 5716

posted 12-19-2000 08:13 PM     Profile for Flash Gordon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire can both be found at the site where you can download the Aces collection.

Getting the Aces games to run merely depends on correcting setting EMS. If you search around in the old postings here, you'll find what people have suggested, etc. If you can't find it, I'll post what I use in my config.sys file to get the games working.

The Aces over Europe is indeed fun. The campaign isn't as good as the one in SWOTL, which is an older game, but it's better than the one in CFS (which is inferior in many respects except for graphics and flight modeling).

What's this about a Spanish Civil War and Balkans Campaign in AoE? If you have the files for these and others, you might want to let ArgonV to share the wealth since he's got a AoE page going dedicated to this great old sim...

Flash

Posts: 353 | From: Paris, Ile de France, France | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flash Gordon
Member # 5716

posted 12-19-2000 08:16 PM     Profile for Flash Gordon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regarding the Aces Collection on a 'modern' machine...on my Celeron 400 or so, I found it necessary to use Moslo (software slow down program) to get AoE to run at half speed. Otherwise, it was like playing a normal WWII sim on speed - once a bad guy got on your tail, you were dead because you didn't have time to react and once you went into a dive, you'd compress pretty much read away...
Posts: 353 | From: Paris, Ile de France, France | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flash Gordon
Member # 5716

posted 12-19-2000 08:17 PM     Profile for Flash Gordon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regarding the Aces Collection on a 'modern' machine...on my Celeron 400 or so, I found it necessary to use Moslo (software slow down program) to get AoE to run at half speed. Otherwise, it was like playing a normal WWII sim on speed - once a bad guy got on your tail, you were dead because you didn't have time to react and once you went into a dive, you'd compress pretty much right away and have a devil of a time recovering.
ArgonV
Member # 5888

posted 12-20-2000 08:59 PM     Profile for ArgonV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BritBuster, where did you get these other campaigns from? By all means if you have the files, e-mail them to me and I shall post them on the make-shift AoE Hackars Page.
Posts: 359 | From: League City, Texas, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flash Gordon
Member # 5716

posted 12-21-2000 04:02 AM     Profile for Flash Gordon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oops.

Just checked out the Underdogs site...

...Achtung Spitfire and Over the Reich are NOT available for download but can still be bought.

The Underdogs site has a link to the site where ordering information is available.

Flash

'
Member # 3472

posted 12-21-2000 09:19 AM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you very much for the info on Moslo. Too bad I didn't know about it before.
Works great. What a pleasure to set your computer speed to whatever you like.
Two thumbs up!

------------------
... --- ... --- ... --- ...

ChuteMaster
Member # 8798

posted 12-22-2000 06:46 PM     Profile for ChuteMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I downloaded Aces of the Pacific, but all that's in the file is a .ras file.
What do you do with this?

Also, whatever happened to Damon Slye, who made these sims?

Thanks.

-John

'
Member # 3472

posted 12-23-2000 11:53 AM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yuo mean *.rar
You need winrar to open the file. http://www.keyscreen.com/filemang.htm#2

------------------
... --- ... --- ... --- ...

K5083
Member # 8903

posted 12-25-2000 07:22 PM     Profile for K5083   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is great news and particularly the bit about moslo, which I also was unaware of. I had my copy of Aces on the shelf for quite some time, after purchasing newer computers. Now I can bring it down again.

I was part of the good ol' days of AOE hacking - was the first to crack the visual model files, and all of the redone aircraft visuals out there are either mine or were done with my tools - and this will be a welcome stroll down memory lane.

August

Posts: 2 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
ArgonV
Member # 5888

posted 12-25-2000 08:32 PM     Profile for ArgonV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
August? Is that really you? Oh I worship you and your work! Youve made AoE into sooo much more! Thanks man!

P.S. Is there anyway I can persuade you to make me a Me-163 Komet for AoE?

K5083
Member # 8903

posted 12-26-2000 09:06 AM     Profile for K5083   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry ArgonV, but I put away the hex editor so long ago that the re-learning curve would be too steep now. I never did mess with the flight models anyway; I was just the visual guy. We discussed adding a Komet but Erik Pilawskii, who did our flight models, didn't believe you could shoehorn the 163's flight parameters into the AOE engine. I wouldn't be surprised if some intrepid soul has tried it, though. It might be worth contacting Bill Stanczak, who is still hacking AOE - he sent me a beta of a Vought XF5U Flying Pancake a few months ago that was outstanding. I'll see if I can look Bill up.

Commendations on your page, BTW. It's great to see Aces stuff still up there. Another one that's still active is the Aces Over Russia page:
http://www.aor.orc.ru/index.htm

Posts: 2 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
ArgonV
Member # 5888

posted 12-26-2000 12:50 PM     Profile for ArgonV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey thats cool. Actually, me and Bill have ben in conctact with each other for quite some time. I also talked to him about making a Komet and I THINK he actually started one. Only thing is I havent heard from him in a VERY long time. I have the Pancake BTW. VERY sweet plane! It was at Tims site a while back before it shut down... which is why I made my AoE site! It would be a shame if all this great work were lost.... Ive ben to the AoR page aswell. Very cool stuff there! I even contacted them a while back but I think that project has ben dropped. I did manage to download it tho... It would be very cool if it were finished.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.