my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » Which WWII prop sim?

Author Topic: Which WWII prop sim?
jerry
Member # 7234

posted 10-16-2000 06:11 AM     Profile for jerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do hardcore simmers have a favorite, especially for online play?
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 10-16-2000 06:22 AM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Welcome to the long time heated debate of which WWII prop sim is the best!

It really depends on what floats your boat. Some like EAW, WWIIFighters, SDOE, or even the Pay-per-play AW series.

Unless you are really hurting for a WWII sim, I would hold off for awhile. With great sims such as: IL-2, B-17 II, BoB, CFSII, underaway and near release, they will just blow the older sims outta the water.

Keep in mind though, B-17 II will not have multiplayer, but is still a great sim(or at least looks to be).

If I confused you more than helped you, sorry, but thats how this topic always goes. Someone will say how good EAW is, then someone will say the faults of the game, followed by another claiming SDOE is best. Thats just how it goes.

------------------
"Do not needlessly endanger your lives, until I give you the signal." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 10-16-2000 12:16 PM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as online goes (Note:All of the above are peer to peer except Air Warrior which is server based) AW being the only one I havent tried online BTW. EAW is the best peer to peer inet ww2 sim IMHO.
Posts: 516 | From: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Necromancer
Member # 7864

posted 11-09-2000 10:46 AM     Profile for The Necromancer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've had EAW for a while and just snagged WW2 fighters from a bargain bin last week.

I like them both a lot but overall EAW takes the cake in my opinion. It just has a grittier, more realistic feel to it. The planes are more difficult to shoot down as well. In ww2 fighters a few bullets tear the planes completely apart...it looks cool but seems a bit far fetched.

The engine sound FX are a lot better in EAW also (especially with the sound patches)and you can get a lot more planes flying at once.

With both titles over a year old and creeping towards the bargain bins I would just get them both and have the best of both worlds!

ArgonV
Member # 5888

posted 11-09-2000 03:04 PM     Profile for ArgonV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It comes down to eyecandy, expandability or realism. No sim to date has done all three...
CFS2 and Janes WWII Fighters are best in the eyecandy department. There is also some good realism in them but its not the best. (CFS2 being the better of the 2 since it has ok realism, sweet graphics and expandability but on-line is lacking) CFS1 had good expandability but the graphics arent great and there is no campaign. The on-line can be hecktic too...

EAW has the best campaigns and is getting up in the world of expandability. Eyecandy not that amazing however.

SDOE has eyecandy and expandability. The realism department is somewhat lacking in some areas. On-line play not bad at all.

Warbirds is fun as heck on-line and the graphics arent that bad but they are lower end. Off-line play is lacking however. But the FMs are well done. Aces high is also fun as heck on-line and the graphics are rather good and the FMs are good too. But it lacks for off-line play.

Luftwaffe Commander has a good campaign... but everything else about that game just sucks.

Wings of Destiny sucks too. The graphics and game play really blow.

I havent played Nations.

I would keep your eye on Il-2 as it MAY get everything right.

Posts: 359 | From: League City, Texas, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Arlo
unregistered

posted 11-11-2000 11:21 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
<AirWarrior "News Bulletin">

10 bucks a month on Gamestorm for at least 3 years now (it's been longer but I can only personally confirm 3 ;0) AW is currently making the move to EA.com as the "millinium version" (basically the same game as AWIII but with issues such as dogfighting B-17s,adding the ability for buff pilots to switch to gunner positions online, bomb drift affected by altitude, porked P-51, P-47, and FW190D modeling addressed).

</AirWarrior "News Bulletin">

~Salute~

-Arlo

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky_1:
... or even the Pay-per-play AW series.

IP: Logged
STB
Member # 1620

posted 11-14-2000 09:31 AM     Profile for STB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best value for money at this moment is EAW, especcially with all the addons.

As a big plus it's an old game, so framerates are no problem. IMHO it's a classic too, some guys are playing it for years now.

Third plus, all the addons are free, and not so big. If you want the full lot, it's about 25 megs I think. This includes different terrains (real eye-candy) different skies (better colors and clouds) and lots of skins for different planes. They even made an upgrade, 1.2a with a tweaked flightmodel (more realistic, sometimes it can be a handfull to get the plane to turn without stalling, but it's the same in real life) and a more agressive AI. At one time I got about 5 FW109 on my tail, all wanting to see my blood.

The guys even made an add-on for the Pacific Theatre (yes, you can fly agains a Mitsubitshi Zero and lots of other planes, the Russian Front, the Medditaranian etc. etc. After you installed the addons (rather simple by the way, just dump the most stuf in your c:\eaw directory, that's all) you won't recognise the game anymore.

I bought mine for a lousy $15, my best buy sofar.

Online flight is great too, because the game was written in the 14.4/28.8 era, so you got plenty of bandwith to spare. Last sunday I flew with other guys together, they were from all over the world (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Brasil etc. etc.) and no lag whatsoever.

Kind regards

STB

------------------
- "The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his
area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy
fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish."
Baron Manfred von Richthofen, 1917

Posts: 84 | From: Rotterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 11-14-2000 12:20 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If money is no object, check out Aces High for online play.. http://www.hitechcreations.com

Heck, check it out anyway.. 3 weeks free.

Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zorak
Member # 7819

posted 11-23-2000 01:55 PM     Profile for Zorak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey there all you EAW fans !!

Pleeeeeeeease help me get this game running on my Win2k system.
I too reckon this is the no.1 prop-sim, but I'm stuck now with my new OS and can't fly the damn thing...........

Posts: 20 | From: South Africa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 11-25-2000 09:21 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Windows 2000 is a user-friendly update of Windows NT, from what I've heard.

Microsoft describes Windows 98 as the prefered gaming platform. They suggest using Windows 2000 for office use and Windows 98 SE for home use.

I doubt anything that doesn't run on NT will run on 2000.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.