my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » Pacific Theater game - suggestions?

Author Topic: Pacific Theater game - suggestions?
WildeSau
Member # 2151

posted 06-30-2000 05:30 AM     Profile for WildeSau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

I am looking for a WWII Pacific theatre flight sim that is worth to be bought.

What I want is not an add on as you can get for CFS or the user build campaign for EAW. Don't get me wrong - I love those add ons for EAW and they are nothing else than just great but I am looking for a game that is from the box a PT game. Sometimes I just want to install a game and the be able to play it - without installing x add ons (but sometimes this is just as great as playing itself...).

I am also aware of that CFS II will be released soon but don't want to wait that long.

So what do you recommend?

I saw a copy of Microprose 1942 The Pacific Air War in the shelf. I know that this is a game which already has a certain age. But is it worth to be bought?

I have no problems with graphics that are not as in today's sims as long as the game is good. I know good is very hard to define and everyone has other expectations but Red Baron II 3D is also a older flight sim that just belongs to the best ones ever made.

Just wanted to have some opinions from your side - also about any other existing PT flight sims which are worth their money.

I think it's a shame that there are not more available at this moment - you can find x different European Theatre flight sims but almost no PT one. Is there a better change from flying Spitfires, Mustangs and Messerschmitts than going with your Zero after some Corsairs over a nice Pacific atoll?

Hope that Microsoft's CFS II is doing better than it's predecessor.

Wish you all many new kill markings for your planes

Michael the "WildeSau"

Posts: 61 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Churchill
Member # 4608

posted 06-30-2000 08:57 AM     Profile for Churchill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Wildsau !
Check out my Abacus add-on for Battle of the Midway for MSCFS. It has a lot of the great planes from the Pacific Theatre.It's listed in the auction section of Combatsim.Check it out!Gosh, what would it be like to fly a Douglas TBD-1 Devastator over the Alps?
Churchill

Posts: 7 | From: new milford,nj usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
WildeSau
Member # 2151

posted 06-30-2000 10:22 AM     Profile for WildeSau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Churchill

Thanks but I already own the Pacific Theater add on for CFS.

Some of the planes are really nice but I don't like CFS that much.

I am looking for a Pacific Theater sim that was planned to be one - but perhaps I really have to wait for CFS II.

You are right - flying with some of these planes over the Alps would be too cool.

Michael the "WildeSau"

mugtree
unregistered

posted 06-30-2000 05:27 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In my opinion 1942PAW is one of the all time great sims.

The graphics are indeed dated but the gameplay is as good as anything available today.

Notable features (in no particular order) include nice flight models, virtual cockpits, mission editor, carrier battle mode that combines strategy element with sim, switchable gunner position in many planes, tough enemy AI (with 1.5 patch), lots of flyable aircraft (16 I think), good flight film editing facility, loads of missions, low spec friendly, runs really fast on todays machines (you will need a DOS bootdisk), cheap (I see it for sale in UK for 5 quid)...

I play co-op and head-to-head 1942 on a pentium 200 connected by null modem cable to a 486 and can definately recommend it (shame though that two players cant share same aircraft as pilot and gunner)

IP: Logged
WildeSau
Member # 2151

posted 07-02-2000 02:21 PM     Profile for WildeSau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi mugtree,

You convinced you - I bought the game. Thanks.

Unfortuantely I haven't played it until now on my PC.

It says that there is not enough memory for running the game when trying to start from DOS. And I have plenty of RAM (256) what should really be enough.

You said bootdisk - can you creat it when installing the game? When installing, there is an option called create bootdisk - so can I do it from there?

I am really a rookie when it comes to PC software questions - sorry.

If it really does all what is said on the box this game - altough when it's old, gives you very much flexibility and a wide range of parameters you can choose from. I can belive that this is a game which confirms that different aged games can still make it up with what comes out today.

Michael the "WildeSau"

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 07-03-2000 12:10 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aces of the Pacific by Dynamix is still worthy of your game dollar.

Q: How can you tell when you've been involved with Combat Flight Sims far to long?

A: The developers (much less PUBLISHERS!) of your favorite titles are no longer around...

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
mugtree
unregistered

posted 07-03-2000 01:49 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Wildesau,

Sounds like you need to make a bootdisk. Run bootdisk.exe from the cd or from your mps/1942 folder (it should have installed with the game) and follow instructions.
I know people have had problems with the bootdisk maker that comes with 1942. I use a bootdisk made with a utility off the Dynamix Red Baron cd (another elderly classic) Lots of older games come with a bootdisk maker.

Im no expert but if you have problems lots of people at this forum will help you out.

IP: Logged
WildeSau
Member # 2151

posted 07-04-2000 10:15 AM     Profile for WildeSau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi mugtree,

Thanks for this tip. I tried to creat the bootdisk but it didn't work - don't ask me why.

But will try to get some helps from someone in my office.

Cannot wait to fly it.

Michael the "WildeSau"

brian
Member # 1540

posted 07-04-2000 10:33 AM     Profile for brian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WildeSau,

Please let us know if you get it to work. I bought the game a year ago, but sold it because, I could not get it to work. If you are able to get it going, then I'll go and buy it again.

Thanks, and good luck!

Posts: 22 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
RRF
Member # 3790

posted 07-05-2000 09:18 AM     Profile for RRF   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you need help we need more info.
-what is you os (w95 w98)
-did you machine boot to windows or not, this will tell if bios allows for a bootdisk
-did you try msdos mode, again 95 or 98?
-what sound card /gameport setup

personally I have never gotten W98 to recognize my gameport so dos no good for me!

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.