my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » CFS2- Pacific

Author Topic: CFS2- Pacific
Casey
Member # 873

posted 06-10-2000 01:29 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In case anyone was wondering, I've finally seen a more concrete release date for Combat Flight Simulator 2 than "winter 2000."

According to EB World (if you dig a little, like you want to pre-order), the release date is October 16.

Is anyone else counting the days? It looks great but even if it stinks, I can't wait to get a sim that allows me to boot up and jump into a Corsair, without mods, add-ons, etc.

If I could have had my pick, I would have preferred to see a "WWII Fighters 2- Pacific Theater" from Jane's rather than a Microsoft CFS2 in the Pacific. But I am desparate; I'll take whaetever they give us!

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
dsk
unregistered

posted 06-10-2000 02:53 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of Pacific WW2 sims, has anyone given thought to petition Microprose to come out with a Pacific version of European Air War? The last one was 1942 Pacific Air War way back in '94. Since they have the code right in their hands it shouldn't take too long. I don't need any extra eye candy, just the ability to fly off a carrier!
IP: Logged
ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 06-12-2000 01:25 PM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dsk,
Speaking of PAW, I really would love it if they even just re-released the same lo res version for Windows 'cuz I think they did it right, at least as far as the fleet ops went (dive & torpedo bombing versus ships). The a2a combat was great also. However, I think we should give CFS2 a chance as well. Although it won't be as comprehensive as PAW was, it should get the job done for me. I REALLY miss PAW now that it is gone.
ScabFace

Posts: 92 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 06-13-2000 10:23 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About Pacific Air War...

Come to think of it, I never saw a Windows version of it. Did they ever make one or is it DOS or nothing?

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 06-14-2000 12:00 AM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There never was a Windows version. I could get the original release to run under windows, but never had any luck with the patched version.
Davsmit
unregistered

posted 06-16-2000 09:48 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of 1942 PAW, I tried cranking it up the other day on my new PIII but got the 'not enough memory' message. Tried making a boot disk and editing config.sys per the manual but it didn't work.

It used to work in DOS on an old sytem I had and I've never experienced the sense of being part of a carrier war since. It was a great game and way ahead of its time. Anyone have a magical fix for getting it to run on a modern system?

Or... should I wait for Microsoft's one? That would mean buying CFS too I guess, which I'm loathe to do mainly because I don't much like the way Microsoft's sims look, with nasty buildings popping up everywhere. The range of Japanese planes on offer is very tempting.

Wachyathink?

Mugtree
unregistered

posted 06-19-2000 04:42 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1942 PAW with the 1.5 patch is my all time favourite sim. The carrier battle mode, seamlessly blending strategy and simulation has to my mind never been beaten.

Davsmit. Like you I couldnt get Microproses bootdisk utility to work. I play it with a bootdisk that I made using a utility off another CD (Sierra Red Baron I think)

MigLancer
Member # 3545

posted 06-22-2000 12:25 PM     Profile for MigLancer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I successfully created a bootdisk for PAW some years ago - as far as I can remember I had to create a DOS directory on the HD, then add there a few files from the MS-DOS installation disks (cannot remember which files, but I added them according to error messages that appear on the screen).

------------------
MigLancer

Posts: 66 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.